• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Begs the question"

jmoody15

Reaction score
I know that I will get ripped for this one, but I think its worth it. This is a forum about the importance of how you present yourself, and so there are certain expressions used that should be addressed. Please feel free to address your own pet peeves here as well.

"Begs the question" - This is constantly used in an improper manner here. The proper way to use the expression is when someone answers a question in a way that is circular. The best example of this is commonly found in the dictionary - ex.: "Runner" is defined as "a person who runs" - where you would not get anything from the definition without already knowing the meaning of the word defined.
Instead, the phrase is used here in place of "asks a question"

Other than that, there is the obvious "they're" "there" and "their" confusion, but I have come to accept this in society today (sadly).

If you take this much care in your appearance every day, please don't undermine that by speaking like an uneducated child.

And now I step off of my soapbox. It is open for those who would like to join me.

Let the bashing of this thread begin!

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
2i0c0w1.jpg

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread begs the question, is our children learning?

Cornellian

Reaction score
I also think the phrase "to my eye" is really irritating. I want to slap it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I find the phrase, "I post on Teh StyleForvm," to be rather embarrassing and so I try to avoid saying it in public. You will get no end of grief for how "Teh" is spelled and the use of the "v" as if you were some Roman knight.

Sometimes, though, the clattering of keys makes it obvious to the guy in the next stall what you are doing.

- B

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmoody15
I know that I will get ripped for this one, but I think its worth it. This is a forum about the importance of how you present yourself, and so there are certain expressions used that should be addressed. Please feel free to address your own pet peeves here as well.

"Begs the question" - This is constantly used in an improper manner here. The proper way to use the expression is when someone answers a question in a way that is circular. The best example of this is commonly found in the dictionary - ex.: "Runner" is defined as "a person who runs" - where you would not get anything from the definition without already knowing the meaning of the word defined.

Other than that, there is the obvious "they're" "there" and "their" confusion, but I have come to accept this in society today (sadly).

If you take this much care in your appearance every day, please don't undermine that by speaking like an uneducated child.

And now I step off of my soapbox. It is open for those who would like to join me.

Someone who doesn't know the difference between "its" and "it's" probably shouldn't be handing out grammar lessons on the internet.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I agree that grammar is an art that is quickly dying in our society. I, however, do my best to refrain from committing the simplest of grammatical errors when I write posts outlining my contempt for the death of said art. I wonder why you do not feel the need to do the same.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK fine. This needs to said.

Sho'nuff:

Please stop abusing the word qualitative

In the month of November alone:

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
Nagranis at ten dollars a pair!!

I fully stand behind my nagranis. They are my most qualitative socks I own. Ever. Even more so than pantherellas. I would say pantherellas don't par up to nagrani at ALL. So what? Shoot me.
Nagranis have been one of my all time best clothing discoveries on sf. Those and rlpl and mabitex and pure blue and edward green. Can't go wrong with any of these brands.

These are killer xmas gifts to all your acquaintances and friends!

i ideally want to look for a qualitative long fiber cashmere. if i cant get it, i would look for a qualitative long fiber wool. virgin wool merino/lamb dont matter as long as it is good quality they can be as soft as some cashmeres. alpaca or angora blends are very soft as well, but i dont perceive them to hold up that well.

here it is:

it is a very nice and solid sandal. the leather is qualitative and sultry looking in person. it looks smart with some linens or some shorts or athletic sweat pants or something going to the gym or supermarket.

i bought a pair of leather sandals (sort of like flip flops as there is a separate loop for the big toe) made of thick dark brown leather by John Varvatos from Gilt groupe several weeks back and it is a very nice looking sandal i may say. i tried to find a photo around here somewhere but i cant find it. it is made in brazil, but it is very qualitative and substantial and looks and feels like a 250 dollar sandal as the retail puts it.

it depends.

sometimes i like it with half and half and some sugar. sometimes i like it with sugar only or just cream only.
if the coffee is strong and qualitative enough in taste, i would take it with only a little bit of cream.

i love coffee.

These are decadent in terms of look and fit but in terms of fabric they are qualitative enough but when compared to kiton and st andrews they are a notch below but those are superlative.

I haven't really departed streetwear. I embrace both fora and implement both into my wardrobe.
foo.gif

THIS **** HAS GOT TO STOP

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
It's annoying that everyone says "Having said that" after everything.

You could tell an audience, "You're all a bunch of idiots. Having said that, I'm very happy to be here."

Same goes for "No offense." As in, "No offense, but this thread is presumptuous."

Doc4

Reaction score

If you have stepped off your soapbox, how can we join you on it?

Originally Posted by East Oakland
Someone who doesn't know the difference between "its" and "it's" probably shouldn't be handing out grammar lessons on the internet.

lol8[1].gif

but I have come to accept this in society today (sadly).

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
OK fine. This needs to said.

Sho'nuff:

Please stop abusing the word qualitative

In the month of November alone:

THIS **** HAS GOT TO STOP

Is this for real?
laugh.gif
Comedy gold.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
It's annoying that everyone says "Having said that" after everything.

You could tell an audience, "You're all a bunch of idiots. Having said that, I'm very happy to be here."

Thank you, Doc. If you don't mind, I shall use this on my next speaking engagement. It might also be useful in an interview.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Is this for real?
laugh.gif
Comedy gold.

That is a qualitative judgement. The quantitative side of me simply sees seven highlighted red passages in a post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads