• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beggars who lie for money

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 months ago, I was working downtown and on the street a woman asked me for some money, she didn't seem like your typical crazy homeless person and spun this whole story about "I'm really sorry to bother you, this is so embarassing, but I just moved here with my mom 2 days ago, and I have a little sister, and I'm expecting, and we're getting some money on Monday, but in the meantime we're strapped for cash, could you buy us a loaf of bread or some milk or anything to help us out?" I gave her $5, and she seemed appreciative and gave me a hug and was on her way.

2 nights ago, I was at a club in the same area, and ran into her again, her belly definetley got bigger, and she spun me the same story again about how she just got there 2 days ago. I ended up giving her $5 just to be over with it since it was in the middle of a bad snowstorm. But half of me thinks I should have called her on it. I have to wonder if she's a junkie putting rock into her arms and killing her baby in the process. What would you do?

KBW

Reaction score
There's a guy in town that says he needs gas money to go see his two daughters every single day. He never changes his story and he looks stoned as all hell every time you see him. He always parks his acura (pretty decent for a guy that bums every single day) immediately in front of (or behind) your car so you have to talk him before you can move your car. He has done that 4 times to me in the last few weeks alone and I'm normally calm but I come close to losing it every time.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't give money to people on the street. Fidel, I know there are assloads of resources for people in that woman's situation in your city - there's no way in hell she should be asking on the street if all she wants is bread and milk.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
...there's no way in hell she should be asking on the street if all she wants is bread and milk.

This is precisely why I never leave the house without a spare quart of milk on my person.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
This is precisely why I never leave the house without a spare quart of milk on my person.

What do you do about the bread though?

tor

Reaction score
This is like a guy who came up to me on a train platform in nyc. He said he fell asleep and got his stuff stolen and he was $0.80 short of fare, so I gave him a buck. Then I saw him go to someone literally 5 feet away from me and give them the same story.
ffffuuuu.gif

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A single, perfectly able-bodied adult with no dependents can get like $250/month in food stamps indefinitely. FYI.

Incman

Reaction score
There's a guy downtown who has asked my papa (grandfather) at least 5 times for money over the course of the last year, saying his mother passed away 2 days ago and he needs money to out of town for the funeral. My papa said to him "how many mothers do you have man?" and the guy turned around and walked away lol.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sry. Thought this was about politicians.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've encountered a few people here in Indy who engage in this same sort of solicitation. They do vary their stories though.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Srsly, are there any beggars you find in downtown areas who don't lie for money? Everyone's got a story about how they have a kid in their car but don't have gas money.

I'm not sure if it's a whole lot worse than kiosk girls at the mall who use emotional blackmail to peddle their $30 nail file systems.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
A single, perfectly able-bodied adult with no dependents can get like $250/month in food stamps indefinitely. FYI.
No. You are wrong, and stupid.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are some beggars here that must make $50K a year. One guy has a real knack for making you laugh, he's known as "Help is on the way" (that's his oft-used slogan). I saw him driving a newish Acura one day so I think he's doing alright.

I rarely give money to beggars. One guy used to hang out around my building and I gave him change because he was honest: "I just want to get some booze and cigarettes."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads