• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bangkok tailors

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given my time limit, fused was really the only option.  I'll have to wait for another time to do something fully-canvassed.  Maybe a sport coat in the future.  I just need a couple weeks in Italy!

I don't think full canvassing with TOT is really that good of value. Full canvassing is really only 'icing on the cake' with that extra body in the fronts and lapel when the fit is perfect elsewhere. TOT will most likely have sleeve and trouser ripples which wouldnt be masked by any marginal benefit of haicloth in the jacket. Get full canvassing in HK or Italy.

shredderman

Reaction score
Hey guys? Anyone knows anything about Empire Tailors. Apparently, they are the top on TripAdvisor and many seem to be praising Sunny (the owner/manager) and his service. I was wondering why there's no mention of him here.

Has anyone done anything with them? I curious as to how their tailoring is like vs the more popular ones like ToT, Narin, Tanika, Crown, etc.
Thanks!

yelnats002

Reaction score
Hi. Newbie here. Any recent experience with Pinky Tailor or Jesse and Son Custom Tailor. Originally was going to go with TOT but I think they make too much of slim fit look for my liking.

Also, I was recently given a quote of 15,000 for a 100% wool (probably from China) two piece suit. Or 22,000 for a 100% wool two piece suit from a European Mill (not sure which one). Since 22,000 is the most that I want to pay, My question is: would the worst European wool always be better than a good quality Chinese one? Which would you do? Thanks.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How long will you be in Bangkok for?

JPK123

Reaction score
I've purchased a few shirts at TOT last year and was very happy. Can't comment personally on their jackets but they looked far nicer than anything else I saw in Thailand. Their Thomas Mason option is well worth the money. Everything is done in house, they use good fabrics and have a good idea of cut, style and trends.

Regarding suits/jackets I purchased elsewhere..
I did quite a bit of research before I went over but still wasted a bunch of money on sub par rubbish that I gave away or sold for pennies in the dollar. I even took over my own fabric ordered from a UK mill, bemberg lining and horn buttons for one of the suits. It fit reasonably well but looked like a cheap suit - poor drape, poor shoulder construction, lifeless lapel (that I had to stop them pressing - their standard practice!) and just looked cheap. That was after giving them a shopping list of requests and being as specific as possible.

99% of Thailand 'tailors' are dishonest and have no idea about styling, cut, fit and fabric quality.
They are fabric touts that get everything made as cheap as possible by offsite cheap labour.
I guess they have their market, but if you're on this forum I'm guessing you demand a little bit more than the average punter who wears a suit twice a year for a wedding or funeral.

You are far better getting a J.Crew, Brooks Brothers, Trenery, SuitSupply or similar branded half canvassed suit for similar money on sale and spending a little on tailoring.

There is a bit of an obsession out there with 'custom tailored' clothing. Most punters don't have any idea what to ask for, get poor advice and are far better buying a brand that fits well off the rack.

If you want a bit better than the above. Go and try on an Ermenegildo Zegna, Canali or RLBL - see what a decent suit should feel like and wait for it to go on sale. The difference is mind blowing. People who say you are going to get the same as those brands in Asia 'custom tailored to you' at a tenth of the price are in dreamland.

That is my advice after spending a lot of money on items that I have since thrown out and visiting a large amount of tailors in Thailand; along with seeing plenty of abominations from friends who have purchased from these people.

Last edited:

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess they have their market,

Indeed they do because there are several dozen if not hundreds of these tailor shops in Silom, Sukhumvit, and even the beaches of Phuket, Ko Samui and Hua Hin. (I would be unsurprised to learn that per capita Thailand has more tailor shops than any other country in the world.) That market is holiday makers who are in Thailand for 1 - 4 weeks. At the end of their holiday they still have a bit of money left so on a whim they "treat" themselves to a little "luxury" because it's affordable and the garments can be completed in a day or two. For the most part these shops have no expectation of repeat business.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In Bangkok a total 4 days. But 12 days in between 1st and last day.

4 days. I would pass on a suit.
Even if you go to one of the "better" places, you will need at least that many fittings.

My advice, go to one of the better places and look into getting some casual linen shirts made.

Terpo

Reaction score
I asked Tailor on Ten for a full canvas jacket. The girl on the line didn't even know what that meant. She got back to me after speaking to her manager and said they don't do full canvas and that all jackets are fused. I am surprised to read people getting canvassed jackets from ToT in this thread.

singingarea

Reaction score
Hi guys ,

I was in BKK last week and got two shirts made at rajawongse .. After reading that thread doesn't seem to be the best idea ! I am going back at the end of May , I was thinking about going to ToT , got quote of them for a linen shirt which would be 2700BHT . But they have a minimum shirt order of 3 . So my question now is , is that worth it. Or can you get made to measure shirts in Europe asweel for about the same price ? I just know these guys from my hometown and they would around 80€ http://rooks-rocks.com . Any advise would be helpful !

Thanks a lot

Halifax

Reaction score
I don't consider Thai tailors (of an appropriate standard) to be significantly cheaper than European tailors at the moment due, in part, to the weak EUR but also that CMT service is hard to find. Fabrics tend to be overpriced.

tcideneb

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have experience making a suit at Perry's tailor at silom? I made some shirts with them a few weeks ago and I am very happy with them. Not cheap, but the quality of the cutting is very commendable. I am now interested to make a suit with them since I am going to bkk again, so I was wondering if anyone had any feedback?

On some of your queries on tanika. I made 2 shirts from them, elderly couple I think. One of them was one of my fav, good fabric, good workmanship.

This is about 5 years ago but I also made like 3 shirts from narain. Not to my liking. Not cheap and workmanship based on my 3 shirts were not on the mark of what I would expect.

Having said all this, I think the best thing for any tail out that you are visiting is go there first thing. Then go for a second fitting when the shirt is done where they can make adjustments. Otherwise no matter which tailor you go too, it ain't gonna be fitting you like you want it too. Even the fit from tanika, although good was not great, even though the workmanship was good as I only went for 1 fitting and got them to deliver the shirts straight to the hotel

Halifax

Reaction score
For those whom it may concern,

Duly is having a sale: 4th - 17th of June with:
  • 50-60% off shirts on sale;
  • 3-for-2 regular priced shirts;
  • New arrivals are 30% off; and
  • extra 5% over the first 4 days

Last edited:

Dan D

Reaction score
Hello all,

First off, thank you to all of you contributing to this thread and sharing your information. I've learned a lot and appreciate the efforts many of you have put forth.

Also, thank you for the notice on Duly's shirt sale. I noticed their shop a couple weeks ago in the Siam Kempinski and Mrs. D actually told me about their Soi 49 shop when she was looking for a gift for me a couple months ago. I plan on having a fitting this week for a few shirts.

I'm not a fashionista by any means, but even I, walking the streets of Bangkok, knew most of the clothing manufacturers here we're unskilled and unethical. So, armed with my limited Internet research, prompted by my regular tailor moving into semi-retirement (he made younger-me a decent wearable sports coat, even if fused), and the fact that I'm now living in BKK, I branched out and tried one of the highly recommended in-house tailors for some trousers, business shirts and casual linen shirts. First time I've ever had MtM shirts and I'm happy with them (after getting a stern lecture about how it was my Thai washing machine that was loosening the hand sewn buttons on the shirts). Also Very happy with the trousers' fit and the light lining for this hot climate, but I have an issue with the trousers where the bottom is pillowing or wrinkling around the hem.

So here are some picture of the trousers. The grey pair I've worn a few times and washed twice and they're the ones developing the frumpled hems. The tan slacks have only been washed once and have yet to develop issues.

Grey slacks, outside. Notice pillowy hem

Grey slacks, inside

Grey slacks both hems, outside

Any suggestions as to why this is happening to "high quality" trousers? My only comparisons are my OTR Canali suit pants and the various causal slacks I've bought from places like Macy's; none of which have ever had this issue. Do I take them back to the tailor? What do I say to him?

Regards,
Dan D

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads