• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balance in Life, Staying Focused On Life Goals Other Than $

Purple Label

Reaction score
At 130k a year, you can pocket 60k a year, live an average lifestyle, and have over half a million by the time you are 35. Once you have this capital, you can invest or start your own business.

Thearkly

Reaction score
My non money goal in life is to do the only thing that interests me: hedge fund analyst. I am not in it for the money. My life goals will greatly boost my career goals as well.

If you let money become your only goal then you can buy temporary happiness and friends, like Gatsby. When Gatsby died he had no friends.
Try finding solidarity in reading. Try something like Histories by Herodotus.

Last edited:

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My non money goal in life is to do the only thing that interests me: hedge fund analyst. I am not in it for the money. My life goals will greatly boost my career goals as well.

If you let money become your only goal then you can buy temporary happiness and friends, like Gatsby. When Gatsby died he had no friends.
Try finding solidarity in reading. Try something like Histories by Herodotus.

I'm extremely curious why being a hedge fund analyst is the only thing that interests you, and DEFINITELY not because of money?

Thearkly

Reaction score
Well there might be something else that I may not know of yet. There's Hedge Fund Analyst and the military.

Last edited:

LooksGood

Reaction score
At 130k a year, you can pocket 60k a year, live an average lifestyle, and have over half a million by the time you are 35. Once you have this capital, you can invest or start your own business.
how? I'm taxed like a third of my income

JJeff

Reaction score
One of the biggest challenges most of us face is the ability to focus on our goals in life while balancing other aspects of our lives, as well. I know that it is a huge challenge at times to devote the amount of resources necessary for reaching my goals, while also providing the attention necessary to maintain my family relationships. I won't settle for missing out on moments with my child that I will never be able to have again in exchange for money. But the reality is that there is much I want to accomplish and life demands money in order to live. Finding a balance among it all is probably one of the greatest secrets in life.

LooksGood

Reaction score
that right, I go to the gym only 2/3 days a week now instead of 5/6 and have been eating poorly(gorging on unhealthy snacks and ordering delivery instead of cooking). If I keep this up my healthy body will go to ****.
OwbqLi
Hi, past self! My healthy body has gone to **** now. I am starting a running program and am thinking of going to a conference room periodically throughout the day to do sets of pushups. I gotta warn you against delivery, those $20 add up both in terms of cc bills and pounds.

bings

Reaction score
OP: been there and done that

you are not afraid of anything, stop lying. you're challenging yourself and that's a good thing.

eliminate your commute. i had a similar commute and then bought a place 4 minutes from work. the savings in time is worth $1,000+ a month in mortgage with your income. just shut up and move.

as for working with smart people, good, they'll make you smarter.

as for 50 hours a week, that's bullshit, you should be working more than that.

as for $135k a year at 29, that's also bullshit, you should be making more if can make that much while being afraid of things.

as for social goals, what the hell are you doing with all of the other hours of the week? after you gain back your commuting time you need to stop wasting time doing whatever else your doing that isnt adding value.

work your ass off now so that you dont have to when you're 50. everyone has to earn their stripes.

come back in here when you're making $250k a year and working 50 hours... then stop taking the income as personal income and start using holdcos and trusts and ****. then start working less... then post pics of hot chics your banging or falling in love with and marrying.

and stop posting crap like this on the internet too.

Shawn Yang

Reaction score

you are not afraid of anything, stop lying. you're challenging yourself and that's a good thing.

eliminate your commute. i had a similar commute and then bought a place 4 minutes from work. the savings in time is worth $1,000+ a month in mortgage with your income. just shut up and move.

as for $135k a year at 29, that's also bullshit, you should be making more if can make that much while being afraid of things.

as for social goals, what the hell are you doing with all of the other hours of the week? after you gain back your commuting time you need to stop wasting time doing whatever else your doing that isnt adding value.

work your ass off now so that you dont have to when you're 50. everyone has to earn their stripes.

come back in here when you're making $250k a year and working 50 hours... then stop taking the income as personal income and start using holdcos and trusts and ****. then start working less... then post pics of hot chics your banging or falling in love with and marrying.

and stop posting crap like this on the internet too

Real talk homie.

LooksGood

Reaction score

and stop posting crap like this on the internet too.
Yeah the commute is a lot of it, I live in SF and commute to Silicon Valley. I didn't move there because I thought it was easier to network socially and work-wise in SF. I do waste time at home, being exhausted and depressed makes me lazy to go out most of the time. I have made a new year's resolution to start looking into other avenues though(investing). I've also started approaching random women for dates.

bings

Reaction score
get into on-line dating.

i dont have first hand experience but a bunch of my friends or clients are doing ridiculous things through on-line dating. some of them accidentally fell in love too.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most people will live to regret putting their life on hold for work, even for a short period of time. Alternately, most people who never made the appropriate sacrifices to progress in life also invariably come to regret it.

My belief is that it's a constant assesment you need to make. Plenty of people tell themselves "I will work crazy hours for 2-3 years to get where I want to be, then it will stable out and I can live the life I want to". It never works that way, because success and money usually begets more, but at the constant cost of time and sacrifice.

Every step of my professional journey (and this includes college) I asked myself if I was working hard enough, on the one hand, and if I was enjoying life enough on the other. I have never, and will never, simply put my life "on hold", even for a short period of time, to get ahead.

+100

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads