• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B.Nelson is 2 for 2 -- PERFECT resole of Alden LHS (pics)

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
After doing a fantastic job on my Peal C&Js a few weeks ago (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=128948), Nick and his team at B.Nelson have done it again. I posted this series of questions on whether I should send my 2- to 3-yr-old pair of Color 8 Alden LHSs to Alden for a recraft (they had a hole in the sole through to the cork) or whether I should have them resoled with Rendenbach soles -- http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=131205. The cost was lower with Nick, as was the turnaround (4 days rather than 5 weeks!!!). My only thinking was that I should send my shoes back to Alden rather than take them to Nick because Alden could use the original lasts. Well, that was clearly not necessary -- the welts did not need to be replaced, and Nick uses wooden lasts which he customizes to fit in particular pairs of shoes, so his lasts are pretty close to what I would get from Alden. There was also the potential downside of sending the shoes to Alden in that they've refinished the uppers on many SF and AAAC members' shoes even though those members have explicitly requested that the uppers not be touched. Here are the results from Nick: The shoes from the "nose" view:
IMG_5691Medium.jpg
Let's zoom in a bit, shall we?
IMG_5683Medium.jpg
How about a round of applause for the deepness of these channels and the high number of stitches per inch?
IMG_5684Medium.jpg
IMG_5685Medium.jpg
And here is that famous logo:
IMG_5686Medium.jpg
The finished product:
IMG_5678Medium.jpg

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
any way to replace soles on blake stiched?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn fine job. Damn fine.

B. Nelson is the place for me whenever my shoes need resoled.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they ever manage to source flush mounted (recessed) metal toe taps? Iirc, Nick V. was on the lookout due to a certain demand for them.

Leffot

Reaction score
Excellent job Nick. I think it's worth mentioning that the difference between cobblers and "master cobblers" is the craft and artistry the later bring to their profession, AND the materials they use.

In a day and age when people want everything done fast and cheap it's important to understand quality can not be rushed and comes at a price. It costs money because it saves money.

Steven

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
Looks nice, how many dolla? Also, is the inner heal corner bevelled?

Anything can be bevelled if one requests it -- Nick bevelled the soles on the C&Js he resoled for me because the originals were slightly bevelled. Aldens are never bevelled (at least not by Alden), and I asked Nick to replace the soles exactly as Alden would -- thus no bevelling.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Did they ever manage to source flush mounted (recessed) metal toe taps? Iirc, Nick V. was on the lookout due to a certain demand for them.
Apparently they're very hard to find in the US. FWIW, I had JMWeston NYC install them (by some mystery cobbler -- they wouldn't share his info) when I bought a pair of 180 loafers from them. The work is a bit shoddy, but it does the trick. Cost: $40 and they won't do it on non-JMW shoes. When I was in Paris recently, I went to the famed Atelier Cattelan to have the plates ("fers encastres") installed, and the work was impeccable -- and cost EUR 12. Here is a great (albeit in French) article about Atelier Cattelan: http://www.net.esa-paris.fr/~alexis_...encastres.html The work Cattelan did for me looks identical to the photo on the right at the top of the page. Brass screws and all.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
By the way, Nick also has a shoe-shine operation in his store on 55th and Lexington. The shine is incredible (ask for cream) -- easily on par with A. Shine & Co in San Francisco.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads