• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B.Nelson does a great job

AMH

Reaction score
The last time I took a pair of shoes to B Nelson / VIP for metal toe plates, they came back with a very defined stretch mark in the toes. It looks like an improper last was used on the bench. This was rather shocking--I thought it might disappear eventually but it has not. Can I get the mark out or is this permanent damage?

20180325_115043.jpg

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The last time I took a pair of shoes to B Nelson / VIP for metal toe plates, they came back with a very defined stretch mark in the toes. It looks like an improper last was used on the bench. This was rather shocking--I thought it might disappear eventually but it has not. Can I get the mark out or is this permanent damage?

View attachment 947070

That did not happen as a result of us installing metal toe plates. Were the shoes new out of the box -or- did you wear them before we installed the toe plates?
And, BTW.....we do not use lasts when we install metal toe plates. There is no need to and what purpose would inserting a last serve?

AMH

Reaction score
Last isn't the right term--I figured it was caused by whatever was inserted in the shoe to keep it on the bench. I can't prove that, but it certainly wasn't caused by my feet or my shoe trees (neither extends into that part of the toe). I wore them for awhile before bringing them in, and I'm certain the toe was smooth without that crease. Any ideas for removing it?

That did not happen as a result of us installing metal toe plates. Were the shoes new out of the box -or- did you wear them before we installed the toe plates?
And, BTW.....we do not use lasts when we install metal toe plates. There is no need to and what purpose would inserting a last serve?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last isn't the right term--I figured it was caused by whatever was inserted in the shoe to keep it on the bench. I can't prove that, but it certainly wasn't caused by my feet or my shoe trees (neither extends into that part of the toe). I wore them for awhile before bringing them in, and I'm certain the toe was smooth without that crease. Any ideas for removing it?

I don't see the creasing in the toe. Maybe I'm not making it out from the photo. I DO see creasing in the vamp which is a result of normal wear, fit and, some other variables.
We use a jack to install metal toe plates. It looks similar to this (mine are a bit different):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Co...hoemaker-Lot-Repair-New-York-NY-/132339276664
The purpose of the jack is to make it easier for the repairman to support the shoe as he screws in the toe plates.
There is no pressure between the shoe and the jack used.
We have done 1000's of metal toe plates. Never got a complaint -nor- have I seen metal toe plates causing any creasing.
It there is a crease (more likely a dent) in the toe box please send me a clearer picture of it and I'll try and give you some advice.

AMH

Reaction score
Here's a higer-res photo. I've traced the toe crease in red. Very odd. It's hard to get a good photo, but really obvious when you look at the shoe.

I don't see the creasing in the toe. Maybe I'm not making it out from the photo. I DO see creasing in the vamp which is a result of normal wear, fit and, some other variables.
We use a jack to install metal toe plates. It looks similar to this (mine are a bit different):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Co...hoemaker-Lot-Repair-New-York-NY-/132339276664
The purpose of the jack is to make it easier for the repairman to support the shoe as he screws in the toe plates.
There is no pressure between the shoe and the jack used.
We have done 1000's of metal toe plates. Never got a complaint -nor- have I seen metal toe plates causing any creasing.
It there is a crease (more likely a dent) in the toe box please send me a clearer picture of it and I'll try and give you some advice.

DSCN9967.jpg

DSCN9967.jpg

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like the toe box is creased. That can be caused by someone stepping on your toe. Most likely it occurred because the shoe is to long for you. I've even seen that sort of damage caused by packing shoes in a suit case that were not protected carefully. There is no way that I know of that will permanently correct the problem short of replacing the toe boxes which is involved and expensive. If the shoe is to long for you there is a good chance it will happen again after the toe box is replaced.
You may want to try taking a piece of newspaper and stuffing it in the toe then inserting your shoe trees and let them rest over night. The pressure may pop the toe box out. Be careful not to force the shoe tree in -or- create to much pressure. That can cause some damage. This may help for a while but the crease is likely to return.

AMH

Reaction score
It's still hard to see in the photo, but it's not a crease or dent from any external pressure or from walking; it's a crease from something stretching inside the shoe just behind the toe and down the outside of the foot, which is why I was was sure it had to do with the workbench. I suspected my own shoe trees but they don't reach that far. I suppose it's possible that they were stretched before I bought them and I just failed to notice until after a few months of wear.
Looks like the toe box is creased. That can be caused by someone stepping on your toe. Most likely it occurred because the shoe is to long for you. I've even seen that sort of damage caused by packing shoes in a suit case that were not protected carefully. There is no way that I know of that will permanently correct the problem short of replacing the toe boxes which is involved and expensive. If the shoe is to long for you there is a good chance it will happen again after the toe box is replaced.
You may want to try taking a piece of newspaper and stuffing it in the toe then inserting your shoe trees and let them rest over night. The pressure may pop the toe box out. Be careful not to force the shoe tree in -or- create to much pressure. That can cause some damage. This may help for a while but the crease is likely to return.

well-kept

Reaction score

+1

I've worn nothing but leather outsoles...with high heels...for over 40 years. In ice and snow and on all kinds of surfaces. Seldom if ever slipped much less fallen. Even the best rubber is useless on ice and wet slick surfaces.

My wife and I have danced ballroom for many years...and I wade deep, fast, boulder-strewn rivers. Keeping your center of gravity over the balls of your feet is not a gimme, but it is critical for any type of movement.

As for wear, I have a pair of Vibram, low profile lug (1/8" proud), moccasins that have never been worn out of doors....rugs and wood only. They are my lounge-around-the-house shoes, worn only in the evenings and on weekends. I got them three (?) Christmases ago. I'm 5'8" (going on 5'6") and 155 lbs. Yet, the Vibram sole is worn down to the point that the lugs are no longer visible, even as a shadow.

FWIW...

--
I am fascinated by the above, because... about seven years ago I had an already very old pair of bluchers - hand-welted btw - custom modified as walking shoes. The outermost of the double leather soles was removed and a Vibram lug sole was simply glued over the first layer of sole leather. I have worn them to walk my dog, about 3 miles or so each afternoon for seven years, on roads and sidewalks mostly but also on rough natural terrain. So let's say they have walked about seven thousand miles, 7.000, miles, more than from NY to LA and back again. The heels have been replaced once due to angling. The soles themselves still have almost all their dimensional tread. Truly, they show minimal wear. My dog loves the sight and smell of them, and even the sound of their trees being removed, because they are a signal of good times, and I plan to wear them the rest of her days, for that reason. As it happens, the Vibram modification was done by Nick's crew at B. Nelson, so this post has a place here.

aph999

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had three pairs of shoes fitted with metal toe plates, and while two pair still had burrs that I had to sand down, so far the plates are holding well (and sanding down the burrs was easy). I'm grateful B. Nelson does the service and will have future shoes done by them.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
@Nick V. I just took a pair of shoes to my neighborhood cobbler for a sole protector, and he was very impressed with your toe taps. Thanks again for the great work, still holding up years later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads