• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B.Nelson does a great job

super1flavor

Reaction score
You take a lot of cabs? Only explanation.

Last year I tried to go with naked leather soles (no topy or toe guard) on a $980 pair of Santoni's and the toe tip was blown out after 2 wearings. I'm not really exaggerating either. It was destroyed. Perhaps it's just me, but I talked to Nick at Vip about this when I brought my shoes in for repair and it's just my wear point (the same of many men apparently). I wear my dainite soled Loake Pimlico's frequent and even on sunny days and still look awesome after nearly 6 months of heavy wear. Perhaps you can do it with leather, but the point still remains that as serious New Yorker, I can't see how anyone doesn't have rubber soled shoes in their collection with all the foul weather we get here and and if you're going to have rubber soles, dainite is the most appropriate for all occasions.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You people are weird. Durable, sure, but my experience is dianites are slippery as all hell in rain, not to mention ugly. In snow I wear vibram. Maybe the issue is you guys don't know how to walk properly? Weird gaits?

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you serious? I hate dianite soles. Only wear leather except for thick snow. Dianites are useless, ugly, and slippery. If you proper oak bark tanned soles they get a nap as they wear almost like suede which is great for grip. It is absurdly bizarre to me to have your perspective.

not sure if my leather soles are oak-bark-tanned or what (b/t cj, vass, rmw, sutors, grensons, rlp, etc) but on certain surfaces im liable to bust ass.

they all scuff up to different textures, densities, and smoothness (vass and rlp seem slickest).... but none of them are anywhere close to being as grippy as dainite (rubber) is.*

you dont need to be a material scientist to accept that fact.

*and dainite is pretty damn ****** on snow and ice, too. awaiting soon arrival of vass commandos. those tread pattern should fare much better - they resemble those used on proper, functional hiking boots

Last edited:

Saenek

Reaction score
Well, I recently got a pair of 1K's done with a commando sole. Communication was prompt and he emailed/called me to let me know they got the boots and when they were shipping.

Unfortunately, when I received them I noticed a pretty big flaw in the welt stitching. Emails have gone silent so I'm going to post up here for an opinion.

I know I shouldn't expect perfect factory work but the stitching here slipped to the side of the sole. I'm sure it won't fall off or anything but for $180, I think that's the last time I'll be using B. Nelson.

Opinions?

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saenek

I am not a resole expert but I had my wolverines resoled locally and the same type of slipping to the side occurred, mine occurred in the front and is more noticeable. My guess is every resole is unique and each one may not be able to reuse the original holes. I will let the more knowleable weigh in but I would like to see your boots with the commando sole. Any chance for a full pic or two ?

All the best

DuckOB

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I mean it is just science, the coefficient of friction between rubber and cement is lower than that of leather and cement. It leads me to believe you guys can't keep your feet under you!

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
Well, I recently got a pair of 1K's done with a commando sole. Communication was prompt and he emailed/called me to let me know they got the boots and when they were shipping.

Unfortunately, when I received them I noticed a pretty big flaw in the welt stitching. Emails have gone silent so I'm going to post up here for an opinion.

I know I shouldn't expect perfect factory work but the stitching here slipped to the side of the sole. I'm sure it won't fall off or anything but for $180, I think that's the last time I'll be using B. Nelson.

Opinions?

That looks terrible.
I don't think it has "ruined" the shoe, but it sure as hell has made them look worse.

You should get some sort of discount on the total cost, at least 30% off.

Saenek

Reaction score

Saenek

I am not a resole expert but I had my wolverines resoled locally and the same type of slipping to the side occurred, mine occurred in the front and is more noticeable. My guess is every resole is unique and each one may not be able to reuse the original holes. I will let the more knowleable weigh in but I would like to see your boots with the commando sole. Any chance for a full pic or two ?

All the best

DuckOB

I'll get a couple tonight after work Duck.

That looks terrible.
I don't think it has "ruined" the shoe, but it sure as hell has made them look worse.

You should get some sort of discount on the total cost, at least 30% off.

Well I mean.. they're not Lobbs but they are one of my go-to boots for travel and kicking around. Not getting any sort of response after multiple emails irks me more than the money.

Goodman

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I'm also exceptionally hard on the tips (toe) of my soles - Oak Bark tanning be dammed - which is why the first thing I do when I get a new pair of shoes is have Nick install metal toe taps. I have topied some pair, some have been left plain. I'm sure it's my gait but, I've been told by a Pedorthist that I have an athletic gait, and take that as a compliment. I also have several pair of Danite soled shoes. I don't seek them out but, if a shoe I'm interested in comes with them it doesn't bother me. I honestly have no preference walking around the city nor would I recommend one over the other. I find walking on slippery surfaces is no different than skiing on ice - just keep your center of mass over your feet and you're good to go.

I have a pair of EG's that are in need of a resole. I had Nick topy them and I would argue it has definitely extended the life of the souls. (If only I could find a way to make the heels last nearly as long - I've had to replace the top lift a few times.) Anyway, I'll be trusting Nick with the work and report back when done.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I know I shouldn't expect perfect factory work but the stitching here slipped to the side of the sole.
Opinions?

Machine caught on the edge of the quarter seam, operator jogged the boot to get around the seam. Cosmetic.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I mean it is just science, the coefficient of friction between rubber and cement is lower than that of leather and cement. It leads me to believe you guys can't keep your feet under you!

+1

I've worn nothing but leather outsoles...with high heels...for over 40 years. In ice and snow and on all kinds of surfaces. Seldom if ever slipped much less fallen. Even the best rubber is useless on ice and wet slick surfaces.

My wife and I have danced ballroom for many years...and I wade deep, fast, boulder-strewn rivers. Keeping your center of gravity over the balls of your feet is not a gimme, but it is critical for any type of movement.

As for wear, I have a pair of Vibram, low profile lug (1/8" proud), moccasins that have never been worn out of doors....rugs and wood only. They are my lounge-around-the-house shoes, worn only in the evenings and on weekends. I got them three (?) Christmases ago. I'm 5'8" (going on 5'6") and 155 lbs. Yet, the Vibram sole is worn down to the point that the lugs are no longer visible, even as a shadow.

FWIW...

--

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads