• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Awesome Specialty Food Stores

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
great thread

My favorite specialty food store at the moment sells Pop (soda,fizzy...), it is aptly called 'Pops'. On any given day they have 15-20 different varieties of root beer, multiple colas, et cetera. I know that specialty soda shoppes are all over and that soda isn't a 'food', but it is pretty unique I think, and quite a lot of fun to drive out to on a scenic drive out to during a scenic drive along old 66.

pops

chas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
I live in NYC and as such I am lucky to have more specialty food stores than most, but the best that I have ever been to is a place in Torino (Turin), Italy called Eataly. Torino is the home of the slowfood movement and this store is basically the manifestation of that culture. If you are ever in Torino and if you take food seriously this place is a must visit.

Cheese, wine, cured meat - you name it. Gastronomic nirvana!

http://www.eatalytorino.it/eatalytor...come_eng.lasso

I just heard that Eataly is opening a NYC branch. Somewhere in the Flatiron district. Looks like it will be 60,000 SF. I can't wait!
http://nymag.com/daily/food/2009/02/..._of_italy.html

Mr. Argyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheGreek
Zabar's on Broadway and 80th St. Awesome!!

Zabar's cinnamon Babka
drool.gif

bc78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Kalustyan's
Murray's
DiPaolo's
Russ & Daughters
Despana
Faicco's
Buon Italia
Joe's Dairy
Russo's

Russ & Daughters is fantastic. I used to live around the block and probably spent half my paycheck there every week.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Best ever in my opinion was the original Balducci's in the West Village. I have not been there since it got taken over by Sutton Place Gourment, but I have been to some of the SPGs that got re-named "Balduccis" and they are nothing special.

Grace's on the UES is very good. Also Todaro's in Murray Hill/Kip's Bay.

Shopper's Corner, Santa Cruz.

Delux Foods, Aptos.

There are three awsome little markets in Carmel, I know them by sight but not by name. One I think is just called "Carmel Wine & Cheese."

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
I used to basically live out of Meyer's deli and Joe The Sausage King which were on Lincoln and Western south of Lawrence. Both are long gone, and there are no replacements for their Austrian and Hungarian goods. There is some sort of shop going in the old Meyer's location, but it was still far from completion when I left.

Abe Frohman, Sausage King of Chicago.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
In Charlottesville, VA:
- Foods of All Nations
- Feast
- The Organic Butcher
- Albemarle Baking Company
- Greenwood Market

Outside Washington, DC, The Italian Store for all of your salumi needs and great sandwiches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads