• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gentlemen

Where can I go in Sydney to get a BESPOKE shirt?
BnT? Zink? Anywhere else?

I refuse to go to Parramatta or anywhere west of the university

Any ideas on prices?

jrb666

Reaction score
Gentlemen

Any ideas on prices?
George Marbo, 2nd floor Strand Arcade. I've been going there for 24 years.

Price will depend on fabric. I just had a couple of linen shirts made - $285 apiece.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, will be in Tokyo from 29th Dec to Jan 1. Any recommendations on what stores might be open and worth visiting, or what deals could be had in the new year?

Most places will be open up until 01 January, but then quite a lot of businesses close from 01 to 03 January. Some places close from 31 December.

If it's the same as it used to be, most of the big department stores will only close for 01 January, and will re-open on 02 January, which is when they will usually start their big sales (unfortunately, too late for you!).

One custom worth observing on new year's day, or even after 12am on the night of 31 December/01 January, is "hatsumode", which is the first visit of the year to a shrine or temple. It can take patience, as the most popular temples (such as Meiji Jingu in Harajuku) can be incredibly crowded on the night of 31 December and during the day on 01 January, but it's an interesting cultural experience and great opportunity for people-watching, too.

You'll probably have better luck around Ginza and Shinjuku, rather than Shibuya/Harajuku. Ginza has Matsuya, Printemps, Hankyu and Mitsukoshi and Daimaru department stores as well as a multitude of smaller stores in Ginza and in the neighbouring areas of Yurakucho and Marunouchi, including menswear stores like Ships and Beams.

Shinjuku has Mitsukoshi, Odakyu, Takashimaya, Marui (three or more different Marui, including a multi-story sports/outdoor store and a menswear store) and, of course, the famed Isetan department store with the neighbouring men's annex, which has a shoe department in the basement that will amaze you.

"Maker's Shirt" is the parent company of Kamakura Shirts and they have quite a few stores dotted around Tokyo - they're well worth having a look at.

"The Suit Company" is also a good option - it sells nice suits and shirts as well as accessories at good prices and also has shops dotted around Tokyo.

JM, you're a treasure trove of information. Let me press you for more.

I'm arriving in Osaka on the afternoon of 31st. Staying overnight then on 1st I'm catching a train to Kyoto, staying until 3rd; then on to Nozawa Onsen (ski resort).

I've already contacted Coccinella, a bespoke tailor in Osaka, to see if I can get a fitting there on 31st or 1st. Hope they will be open - now I'm worried they may be just going on their break exactly at the moment I arrive...

Any good stores I should visit in Osaka and/or Kyoto? Any other brill and fab things I should do?

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gentlemen

Any ideas on prices?

George Marbo, 2nd floor Strand Arcade. I've been going there for 24 years.

Price will depend on fabric. I just had a couple of linen shirts made - $285 apiece.

Nice tip! Under the radar for me at least

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coxsackie, though it's already been mentioned with respect to Ginza, the Hankyu Men's department store in Osaka is also fantastic. Check it out.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hate the train
Hate the heat out there as well

Willing to pay a premium to not have to waste time travelling
Especially since I assume it would necessitate multiple (three?) trips back and forth (hours!)

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a cheerier note, my Christmas present to myself, snagged at an online Boxing Day sale. Rose gold case, ceramic face and two leather straps, one navy and one dark brown.

Mong

Reaction score
On a cheerier note, my Christmas present to myself, snagged at an online Boxing Day sale. Rose gold case, ceramic face and two leather straps, one navy and one dark brown.

Would love to hear some feedback after you've worn it for a while. I'm eyeing a second decent watch (I bought a Tissot earlier in the year) for wearing to work, and I'm torn between a more casual Hamilton or a dressier Melb. Watch Co.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentlemen

Any ideas on prices?

Nahkle was the best I used when I lived in Sydney. I know people that have used cutler and not been overly impressed for the price. I've always found Zinks stuff to be ok but unremarkable for full bespoke. Bnt only to mtm for shirts I think. I think I had 2 fittings with Nahkle (it's not a suit remember) though that was 12 years ago now.
Tldr - don't be a snob and take the 30 min train ride out west.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
I don't think Nahkle does a fitting shirt, unless requested. At least not for me. He also buys rolls and rolls of Alumo poplins, oxfords, twills, voiles, etc, so he is able to offer them at extremely reasonable prices.

If you want to drive on a Saturday, be aware, he is usually fully booked all day. Better to go on a late afternoon.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
It is bespoke. He drafts patterns and makes custom collars, and keeps them on file. As I said, you can probably request a fitting.

If only a tailor that offered his quality of service and value existed in Sydney.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Seems strange that he wouldn't operate in the city given that's where his clientele must live/work

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joe (BnTailor) offers bespoke shirts - he is the face of steadystate shirts here in Sydney. Joe also offers MTM via bntailor. I have seen the bespoke SS shirts in the flesh; you can choose machine finishing, all hand or a combination. I've had the pleasure of seeing them and they are gorgeous.

FA I've had shirt fittings that have been done with Bijan without the need of trying on a shirt; included are a couple of fittings. I've also created my own collar. He sees them as MTM shirts and not true bespoke even though the pattern is made from scratch and it's a custom collar, despite him being a true bespoke tailor. I think it's because the shirts are machine finished.

are you able to confirm Charles shirts are completely hand finished? I'd be interested to see

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads