• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My first time posting in here (yes I'm an Aussie) and think it's appropriate as it is location specific but point me in a different direction if you think it's appropriate.

I have a work Christmas party coming up. Venue is Doltone House Hyde Park, Sydney. Invitations stipulated formal dress. So I figured I could wear my MTM tux and adhere to black tie guidelines. 1 week before the event I hear that by formal they meant "wear a jacket.... Wear a tux if you want but You know some people will wear jeans..."

Would you:
a) wear a tux and stick to black tie and be the best dressed person
b) dress down the tux
c) wear a lounge suit instead
d) look for new job

A). If you are asking what I would do. If you have the DJ wear the thing. But only if you have a proper bow tie. If not C).

Not sure what dressing down a DJ would be but think it is kind of an all or nothing thing.

D) is always an option too. But that has nothing to do with clothing.

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kazuna sport jacket. Drago S150 glen check in a light shade of cocoa. Soft shoulders; half lined; patch hip pockets; peak lapels inspired by the Canali Kei block... First shot is more accurate in terms of colour...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice, CEP.

Personally, I wouldn't have gone for patch pockets and peak lapels on a single-breasted jacket, but it appears to be cut nicely and to fit well and I like the fabric.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first time posting in here (yes I'm an Aussie) and think it's appropriate as it is location specific but point me in a different direction if you think it's appropriate.

I have a work Christmas party coming up. Venue is Doltone House Hyde Park, Sydney. Invitations stipulated formal dress. So I figured I could wear my MTM tux and adhere to black tie guidelines. 1 week before the event I hear that by formal they meant "wear a jacket.... Wear a tux if you want but You know some people will wear jeans..."

Would you:
a) wear a tux and stick to black tie and be the best dressed person
b) dress down the tux
c) wear a lounge suit instead
d) look for new job

This happened to me in Shanghai. Dress code stipulated "formal", which of course means black tie. Everybody knows that. Correction. Nobody knew that except me. I wore a dinner jacket. A couple of people were in lounge suits. Most other people were wearing whatever they had had on during the day, which included people in t-shirts, shorts and thongs.

Did I feel infinitely, effortlessly superior? No. I felt like a dick. An old fuddy-duddy clinging stubbornly, even desperately, to an outdated set of social mores.

Don't be like me.

Kazuna sport jacket. Drago S150 glen check in a light shade of cocoa. Soft shoulders; half lined; patch hip pockets; peak lapels inspired by the Canali Kei block... First shot is more accurate in terms of colour...

Impressive.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't dress down a tux (I'm sure you really mean a dinner suit).

I wouldn't wear the full rig g unless one or two, at least others were. And I didn't think everyone thought they were prize wankers. So; know your organisation. The Xmas party is work. Not play.

Otherwise just wear what you are comfortable in. Probably lounge/business suit and tie. Maybe a suit a bit less conservative than your usual everyday garb.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, make discreet enquiries as to who wrote the invitations, and if possible, find out who specifically chose the "formal" stipulation. Single them out at the party itself. Stand next to them, then say in a loud voice to them, "Boy am I glad I ignored the "formal" dress code stipulation. Because everybody else did too! Including you!"

If they look perplexed (which they will), you can gently explain to them that "formal dress" means dinner suit for men and evening gown for women. If they seem resistant to this intelligence, just smile enigmatically and walk away.

Having said all that, I should add that I saw several people in correct formal dress walking down Elizabeth Street opposite Hyde Park a couple of weeks ago. Good manners are not entirely dead in the Emerald City.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Work Xmas parties are so tedious. Unless of course they are someone else's work Xmas party.

I remember going to one in the Nakatomi Building in the late '80s that really went off with a bang.

I work in the public sector; not only are the christmas functions tedious and abysmal, but I have to actually pay to attend
musicboohoo[1].gif

Muscles

Reaction score
So I guess I do mean dinner suit - it has satin trimmings but no tails. By dressing down I was thinking of losing the cummerbund and studded shirt, possibly even the bow tie or wear a brighter alternative to the black...

Is this doable or should I just wear a lounge suit?

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I work in the public sector; not only are the christmas functions tedious and abysmal, but I have to actually pay to attend 
musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

WTF?

Xmas functions= bitching and whinging session culminating in a piss up with insincere smiles, platitudes and tired old jokes.

Seriously, yet to even RSVP on this years invites.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
25c and rising 33c predicted. Linen lavender gingham short sleve shirt, navy cargo's sandals, sans long socks.

Where can I buy some British khaki Bombay Bloomers?

A Vietnamese gentleman of my vintage was wearing Siagon wrap arounds, very slick. First time I've seen these in years. Worse some tool offered me his seat on the bus. WTF? Surely I don't look as old as fxh?

The gin is in the freezer, tonic is fridge. It's purely for medical purposes at sundown.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G'day Guys,

FYI we have just released a heap of new ties for summer some of which are below. At the end of this month my SF affiliate status is coming to a close after about 3 years, I'll still be around of course no less than I am now but it basically comes down to the crappy AUD is making it too expensive and there are now to many stateside affiliates selling similar products. It's going to be good to get out of the comfort zone and explore some other advertising avenues with the SF $$$. The SF10 discount will still apply though.

In the meantime the new ones can be found here http://www.henrycarter.com.au/shop/ties/ , still a couple to go up in the next few days that are having images edited.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads