• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Keen to see.

Papa, sorry to hear that it doesn't fit.

It's odd that the Armoury's Ring Jacket cut fits you but that RJ's own cut doesn't.

However, when Herringbone was selling a few suits and jackets made by Ring Jacket about five or six years ago, I discovered that I had to size up as they were definitely smaller than the marked size. Oddly, the trousers on the "London" block suits by Ring Jacket were a perfect fit but the jacket was too small.

Pics? Though I will be resisting very hard as it is tax time and tax time means that the Guvment want me to pay my HECS. 5 years of university really hurts my wallet
frown.gif

Note to paparubbery. Stop. Don't sell jacket stop. Can arrange surgery stop. Get cash ready stop.

I'm definitely interested as well! You may have a bidding war on your hands PR.

Thanks for all the interest gents. In the interest of full disclosure, PetePan and ruzzi have also PM'ed me with interest.

Unfortunately I won't be going to any backyard chop-shops operated by fxh. Especially not after last time

JM - yeah it's funny - TA say they took the 184 and widened the shoulders a tad - this sportscoat the 246 model - and looking at the RJ sizing guides this is definitely closer to a 36 in the 184/AMJ01 model.

Pics are as below:

Happy to have a bidding war if people are keen to pay above $300 :p

If this isn't happening to you gents right now, I'm afraid you're beyond even my help.

Nolvadex

Reaction score
Thanks for all the interest gents. In the interest of full disclosure, PetePan and ruzzi have also PM'ed me with interest.

Unfortunately I won't be going to any backyard chop-shops operated by fxh. Especially not after last time

JM - yeah it's funny - TA say they took the 184 and widened the shoulders a tad - this sportscoat the 246 model - and looking at the RJ sizing guides this is definitely closer to a 36 in the 184/AMJ01 model.

Pics are as below:

Happy to have a bidding war if people are keen to pay above $300 :p

If this isn't happening to you gents right now, I'm afraid you're beyond even my help.

Ill take it

melbournites

Reaction score
Yeah ridiculous! That said, I'm headed to Japan for three weeks in November and wanted to get a notebook so I could process and upload my photos while I'm overseas. It's to be light and portable but also able to handle Lightroom 5.

Any recommendations?
I would get a 11" macbook air. Upgrade to 8gb ram. It has an sd card slot. SSD drive should allow plenty of grunt with LR5. Claim part of the GST back at the airport. If you don't need it when you come back you should be able to recover a decent amount back by selling it.

Where are you going to in Japan? Nice time of the year Autumn before it gets colder.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Flicking through Facebook is your problem. I ditched that along time ago and haven't looked back.

Yeah, JM - just waste time on the Aus Members thread instead...

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would get a 11" macbook air. Upgrade to 8gb ram. It has an sd card slot. SSD drive should allow plenty of grunt with LR5. Claim part of the GST back at the airport. If you don't need it when you come back you should be able to recover a decent amount back by selling it.

Where are you going to in Japan? Nice time of the year Autumn before it gets colder.

Thanks. Probably one will in Tokyo and two weeks elsewhere but haven't decided where yet. I was there two years ago in autumn and loved it. For that trip, I went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. I'd like to explore some other areas this time but hope to again catch the autumn foliage.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Probably one will in Tokyo and two weeks elsewhere but haven't decided where yet. I was there two years ago in autumn and loved it. For that trip, I went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. I'd like to explore some other areas this time but hope to again catch the autumn foliage.

GN, I can't remember if you went there last time, but in Autumn, I'd definitely recommend a visit to Arashiyama, over on the western side of Kyoto. Not only do you get the bamboo groves of Sagano, but it's a lovely area in which to spend a day or two and the hills should be covered in autumn colour at that time of year.

Of course, the hills behind Kiyomizudera in eastern Kyoto will also look great in Autumn.

You could also consider a trip up into the mountains in central Honshu - head to Matsumoto (great, original castle) then up into the mountains to Takayama, which is a lovely mountain town. Then head to Hida-Takayama, a "preserved" village in the mountains with plenty of original houses with thatched roofs in the "gassho-zukkuri" style. Another, similar village that is quite nearby is Shirakawa-go. I think that they're both world-heritage listed and are very much worthwhile seeing.

You could come back to Tokyo through Nagano or alternatively carry on through Gifu, see Inuyama and then go to Nagoya to head either south or north along the Tokaido shinkansen line.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hiroshima was my favourite place in Japan - highly recommended. Food is good, it's easy to get around, very picturesque.

CHECKstar

Reaction score

I suppose that it never pays to take anything in the newspapers' "style" sections seriously, but this advertorial on photography and photographic equipment from Fairfax's "Essential Style" section is particularly egregious:

"Snappy gear to help you travel like a professional photographer"

The first item is a Leica camera, for $5900, with a fixed lens. Let's think about that again - a fixed-lens camera for $6000. The following items include a leather bag for carrying your camera items, a fancy wireless mouse for $150 and a portable espresso coffee maker so that you can still have your espresso coffee while you're taking landscape photos.

I know, I know that I shouldn't expect anything serious, or really anything decent, from these sorts of articles but it would be nice if they contained stuff that wasn't utterly ridiculous.

Yeah ridiculous! That said, I'm headed to Japan for three weeks in November and wanted to get a notebook so I could process and upload my photos while I'm overseas. It's to be light and portable but also able to handle Lightroom 5.

Any recommendations?

Surface Pro 3 Gezza.

ruzzi

Reaction score
Any recs for a business casual work chukka - Something that works with button down shirt/chinos or jeans/sports jacket?

Options I've seen:
CDB's (too casual, cheap?)
Redwing (too outdoorsy?)
Carmina/Meermin chukka (too dressy?)

Budget~ $400.

Would prefer something with a low-ish profile with a leather sole, I think (skinny dude)...

Last edited:

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recs for a business casual work chukka - Something that works with button down shirt/chinos or jeans/sports jacket?

Options I've seen:
Redwing (too outdoorsy?)

Budget~ $400.

Would prefer something with a low-ish profile with a leather sole, I think (skinny dude)...

Dark Brown Suede is your friend.

Carmina or Meermin would be good. The conservative business dress's are too casual and won't hold up that long, and the offerings from RedWing are too casual . Another option that would fit your purpose are brown suede RMW's.

eljimberino

Reaction score

Options I've seen:
Redwing (too outdoorsy?)

Budget~ $400.

A Fine Pair of Shoes have these.

If you're 8.5UK - 10US they have one for $250ish in their seconds section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads