• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sound like the perfect match for Man City then.

:rotflmao:

Apparently Liverpool's official menswear brand is Ramsey, which funny enough is based in Istanbul. Desperately clinging to the glory of 2005.

And interestingly enough Arsenal is using Lanvin... pompous prats.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never really left us.

Truereason behind the popularity of iStuff.

And #dadbod carries the attitude to a physiological level.

blah SJ's look is (urbane) bobo or bourgeois bohemian if your a formalist. The turtle neck stylistically takes it out of normcore also he's adopting Einstein's dress principals, which in theory removes the anxiety and thought required to decide what to wear that day by having a very limited wardrobe.

fox81

Reaction score

Brisbane SF members:

Are we still on for after-work drinks/dinner on Thursday evening?

Are we still thinking of Southbank as a location?

Let's work something out. If anyone's interested in coming, please post in this thread and/or send me a PM so that we can sort out details.

@lukejackson

@fox81

@The False Prophet

@Osiris2012

@neyus

Anyone else around who might be interested in coming?

probably not to southbank
maybe the city, or the valley as was previously suggested

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Popped into the Ed et al trunk show yesterday afternoon. Some great looking lasts and nice leathers.

Put in an order for a pair of split-toed bluchers (al a eg dovers). Was originally looking at suede loafers but balked at the $100 up charge for suede over calf.

I ordered mine (also the dover-lookalikes) in dark brown suede!

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kazuna Annonay Calf Semi Brogue

Nice shoes. Looks like a good fit too, and great polish job from Kaz.

Can you tell us the difference between the usual Japanese leather and the Annonay?

I am intrigued by the natural antiqued leather, tossing up between a boot or a captoe dubmonk.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Annonay is supposed to be finer grained and more tender, but it's hard to tell the difference visually to be honest, but I will need to wear the shoes more to tell the difference in the stiffness of the leather.

I also got double leather soles and higher heels for this pair.

Styleternity

Reaction score

I know that, in years past, Herringbone have stocked pairs of grey flannel trousers for autumn and winter.

A quick look at both the Herringbone and MJ Bale websites shows that, apparently, neither of them have odd trousers in grey flannel for cooler weather. It's such an elementary, basic item that pretty much every decent menswear store should some in stock for winter - if not in flannel, at least in a cloth with some weight to help keep out the winter winds - but not in Australia, it seems.

It's not a hard and fast rule, but FWIW Bale should still stock (in limited circulation) pairs of the 'Bowes' trousers as separates. Those are made out of a S120 flannel from VBC if I'm not mistaken, and come in true navy and charcoal.

jas0nt

Reaction score

FYI the PayPal reimbursed returns program I posted about earlier works great. Just received 45$ into my account within 3 days of making my claim.

Just don't forget to take a picture of the package with the address written on it before sending (check the t&cs)

Did you need to activate the promotion in your PayPal account before the purchase of the item?

CoffeeDudeGuy

Reaction score
Got these at the Christian Kimber pop-up today. He gave me a really good deal on these samples, lucky have the same shoe size. Still deciding on whether or not to darken the straps, but these are one-of-a-kind apparently. Also grabbed a couple of the 'Melbourne' pocket squares.

The jacket he's working on looked pretty neat too.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that, in years past, Herringbone have stocked pairs of grey flannel trousers for autumn and winter.

A quick look at both the Herringbone and MJ Bale websites shows that, apparently, neither of them have odd trousers in grey flannel for cooler weather. It's such an elementary, basic item that pretty much every decent menswear store should some in stock for winter - if not in flannel, at least in a cloth with some weight to help keep out the winter winds - but not in Australia, it seems.

Admittedly I don't think their an essential on the East Coast of Australia the diacotomy of the seasons is between pants weather and "too hot for pants" weather.

I just go with a four seson fabric (110 super merino).

Subpar menswear with a subpar team.

They seem to have a special place in the British psyche - both Cameron and Miliband claim to shop there.

Last edited:

kayhill

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Long time between drinks for me. I've moved to London in recent weeks (lifestyle and career). Just wondering if any of you well-travelled types have recommendations for tailors and other sartorial stores here? In particular I'm looking for some random accessories -- Saphir polish, a leather bag for work, general bits and bobs I couldn't bring with me from Sydney.

Particularly if anyone knows any tailors who have a softer, more Italian cut? Not really a fan of the traditional English cut. I have booked in an appointment with Cad and the Dandy though. Their price point is a little too good for me not to give it a go.

If there was a London thread I'd use that but ... well us Aussies are friendlier anyway, right? ;)

deingesicht

Reaction score
I need a new suit - is there much a difference between Oscar Hunt and Suit Shop? They both seem to offer basically the same price point for similar quality.

I'm also thinking of getting a suit made suit for Travelers' Apparel (they do a MTM/bespoke option where it's all made in Melbourne).

Any help would be appreciated (I know I'm probably thinking about this too much too)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Long time between drinks for me. I've moved to London in recent weeks (lifestyle and career).

Kayhill,

Congrats on the move to London, and I hope that you're settling in well.

There are quite a few SF members in London, so it may be worth starting a thread (or doing a search for a long-buried thread that you can resurrect) so that you can exchange tips and recommendations and perhaps arrange a meet-up at the Savoy Grill. ;-)

With regard to bags and so on, I'd recommend checking out the usual suspects such as Tusting, Swaine Adeney Brigg (SAB), Pickett, Ettinger and so on. There are plenty of choices over in London.

Apart from that - and you've probably already done this - enjoy having a walk around Jermyn St and Savile Row and soak up the atmosphere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads