• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ideally I'd go a new watch - I don't think Omega make seamstress in the same design anymore. 

Junior the next time your in Sydney check out some of the estate jewellers on Castlereigh St between Park and Market Sts. There are a number of them who deal in watches will give you some idea of what is out there, most of them will always offer better deals for cash. A large Doberman in one of them got me a VERY good deal on some jewellery for Mrs GF some years ago.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pulled out the Jensen's engine this weekend, quite lucky that the crack shaft wasn't broken, quite close though, had been starved of oil.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what design of seamstress (sic!) you'd like.

If you want one of the classic, dressier Seamaster designs from the 1950s or 1960s, sometimes called the Seamaster de Ville models, then you're out of luck, as Omega don't make them anymore. You can, however, pick up pretty decent vintage models for anywhere from US$650 up to a couple of thousand, depending on the model, condition, whether it is steel or gold, whether it has things that make it attractive to collectors (particular style of lugs, particular dial or subdial) etc.

Omega has, however, recently begun re-introducing some of their more classic designs. Of course, they've given them fancy movements, slapped a transparent case-back on them so you can see the fancy movements, and jacked the price up.

http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...a-150-m/master-co-axial-385-mm/23110392101002

http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...150-m/co-axial-annual-calendar/23113432202003

They even re-introduced a model with a lovely sub-seconds dial, but for some reason which is utterly unfathomable to me, they put it in a case which is 5cm in diameter!

http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/aqua-terra-150-m/xxl-small-seconds/23113491006001

Here's an original with the sub-seconds dial, in a sensible size:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-OMEGA-...993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4636e9fcd1

Definitely prefer the old ones - the contemporary designs are like a diver/dress watch hybrid.

Quote:

I'm starting to feel that my Timex is too dressed by #reddit for me. It just seems out of place next to RMWs or a P Johnson suit.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the Timex is too ~~~democratic~~~?

Malvlie

Reaction score
Guys, i just arrived here in sydney
any suggestion of store to look around?
like jeans or boots store perhaps

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed that MJ Bale have started using a poly/viscose linings instead of bemberg on their blue label suits.

Any reason they couldn't just use pure viscose? From what FXH said its the same stuff without the patent.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, i just arrived here in sydney
any suggestion of store to look around?
like jeans or boots store perhaps

If you're interested in high-end Japanese selvedge denim, you could try Corlection at 457 Pitt St.

As for boots, you would need to be a bit more specific. What style are you after? Cowboy boots? Motorcycle boots? RM Williams?

boff

Reaction score

Hey boff, long time no see.  I myself am deciding whether to go to Herman Brothers in Burwood. The cloth selection is decent. The work is done overseas (likely China, but did not ask out of politeness), but alterations are done locally. Pictures look okay, and Herman is receptive to ideas. 2 to 3 fittings. Thinking of doing just a basic navy light construction soft shoulders etc ala PJ.

Also BTW, if you are sick of your Slumberhouse Jeke, I will take it off your hands!

Thanks, was missing the friendly banter :D
As for the Jeke, I don't think I'll ever get sick of that brute of a scent. Almost finished the bottle. What to try next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics