• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiva

Reaction score
iSurg

I bought a pair of the Maracca suede string loafers a few months ago. Like most Meermins, they represent a good price:quality ratio. And I have an irrational mental block about spending big money on suede shoes. I have a wide-ish foot, but the Ron last is not wide, so I went true to size and they fit well. (Bearing in mind that the orthodox advice is to go half a size down with loafers to avoid heel slip.) I have been wearing them most weekends (in the tropics), and they are holding up very well. They are fairly refined without being effete, as some string loafers can look. The only vaguely negative comment I have is that the Meermins feel a bit "wooden", in the sense that there is not much give in the sole and the inner doesn't take the imprint of your foot as better quality shoes tend to do. But to give you some idea of my overall feelings about the shoe, I'm thinking of getting the same thing in the navy as well. Hope this helps.

Regards
Stiva

aKula

Reaction score

Picked up my second pair of shoes in two weeks today from Rekaris - half sole and heel replacement (C&J's and AS). Great results and incredible value for $85. Even had toe taps and shoe laces thrown in for free.

Question: has anybody had any luck in Melbourne with getting belt loops converted to side tabs? If with who. My first guess would be Katerina's, but I've never attempted such an alteration before.

Did these shoes have topy or original leather sole? Will eventually need to get C&Js, carmina's etc resoled. Only had the full resole done on Loakes at McCloud's and I am wondering about options.

Thanks.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Gerry, what opshop was that outfit from?

Re loopy ideas. I have had trousers in the past with side tabs inside. Then the different material doesnt matter. Or you might get material from excess under cuffs. You can minimise material by making the buckle end just short and directly attached to waist band. The buckle can be attached in different material as it won't be seen. A proper tailor will soon tell you yes or no.

Edit:: I forgot the obvious easy one. You could get a bit of wide elastic sewn inside each side. Its very common on trousers. You could get it done with the belt loops still on to see how it goes.

We do loops to side tabs and vice versa for guys. If you've never lengthened your trousers you may get enough cloth from the allowance. If not you will need to order cloth or match it.

Re meermin loafers.. I'm not a fan of meermin at all. People speak of price quality ratio however for just a bit more you can get Carmina whose quality far exceeds the up cost.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We do loops to side tabs and vice versa for guys. If you've never lengthened your trousers you may get enough cloth from the allowance. If not you will need to order cloth or match it.

+1 to the above. In the past, I've had a couple of pairs of Herringbone trousers converted to side tabs by using the off-cuts left over from taking up the trousers. Thankfully, my tailor found it easy to get hold of some buckles for the side tab adjusters.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Picked up my second pair of shoes in two weeks today from Rekaris - half sole and heel replacement (C&J's and AS). Great results and incredible value for $85. Even had toe taps and shoe laces thrown in for free.

Question: has anybody had any luck in Melbourne with getting belt loops converted to side tabs? If with who. My first guess would be Katerina's, but I've never attempted such an alteration before.

Did these shoes have topy or original leather sole? Will eventually need to get C&Js, carmina's etc resoled. Only had the full resole done on Loakes at McCloud's and I am wondering about options.

Thanks.

Original C&J leather soles.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Journeyman

I will check them out, I'm sure price is good. I contacted DeerStyle -- will have an appointment once my schedule/budget allows. Just for a shirt and some trousers to start I think. Cheers for the recommendation.

Edit: What cut of uniqlo jeans would you recommend? I was thinking relaxed fit then have some slightly tapered. Might order slim as well, return policy is fairly good. will wait a few weeks though as they are not a priority.

@lukejackson

Re: DeerStyle: I've got to get around to placing a new order with DeerStyle shortly, too. I'm thinking of getting a largely unlined jacket in navy fresco cloth for spring/summer. I'm not entirely sure yet as to whether I should get waist patch pockets or flapped pockets. I've got a similar jacket from Brooks Brothers that's years old and which is getting a bit worn out so I need to see about getting a replacement. Rene received quite a few new cloth bunches a couple of months back and there are some great seasonal fabrics amongst the bunches.

Re: Uniqlo: I'm afraid that I'm not sure about how the jeans for the Australian market fit, as I've only bought from Japan in the past. The Japanese stores have several different models in Kaihara selvedge denim, including a couple of different models in the regular straight fit (in a couple of different washes) and at least one model in the slim straight fit, too (again, in a couple of different washes). I'm not sure what you can get in the Australian bricks-and-mortar Uniqlo stores but the online site for Oz only seems to show one pair of jeans in selvedge denim, in the regular straight fit.

If they're anything like the Japanese sizing, I'd recommend sizing down one in the regular straight fit as I bought my usual size and they've stretched out a bit and are now too loose around the waist.

lukejackson

Reaction score
I'd recommend 3sixteen straight leg. Best fitting jeans I've ever owned and definitely not too tapered.

I'll check them out.
Are you on a budget?

Just purchased two new pairs, albeit a little late in the season. I'm waiting on a pair of 3Sixteen ST140x and a pair of Naked and Famous x Blue Owl Colab Japan Heritage. The sizing on the Blue Owl site is detailed and very helpful. I also sent them a few emails and they were good enough to measure the jeans prior to shipping them out. Hopefully they fit.

A couple of months back, I ordered two pairs from Gustin. Both pairs I received were over an inch larger than the measurements they list on their website for my size. Ended up getting rid of a pair and still looking to offload the other. Very disappointing. Ordered a size 34 and ended up with jeans that are closer to a size 36!

Yea, I'd rather put my money towards trousers these days. Not looking for anything too fancy. Maybe $150? Don't mind being patient and ebaying/waiting for sales. Cheers for the info .

lukejackson

Reaction score
@lukejackson

Re: DeerStyle: I've got to get around to placing a new order with DeerStyle shortly, too. I'm thinking of getting a largely unlined jacket in navy fresco cloth for spring/summer. I'm not entirely sure yet as to whether I should get waist patch pockets or flapped pockets. I've got a similar jacket from Brooks Brothers that's years old and which is getting a bit worn out so I need to see about getting a replacement. Rene received quite a few new cloth bunches a couple of months back and there are some great seasonal fabrics amongst the bunches.

Re: Uniqlo: I'm afraid that I'm not sure about how the jeans for the Australian market fit, as I've only bought from Japan in the past. The Japanese stores have several different models in Kaihara selvedge denim, including a couple of different models in the regular straight fit (in a couple of different washes) and at least one model in the slim straight fit, too (again, in a couple of different washes). I'm not sure what you can get in the Australian bricks-and-mortar Uniqlo stores but the online site for Oz only seems to show one pair of jeans in selvedge denim, in the regular straight fit.

If they're anything like the Japanese sizing, I'd recommend sizing down one in the regular straight fit as I bought my usual size and they've stretched out a bit and are now too loose around the waist.

That jacket sounds good! I'm not spending money on jackets/suits/outwear for a while, until I have a solid trouser and shirt wardrobe. Will hopefully see and meet Rene in 2 weeks or so. Thanks for the jeans input.

For the record re: jeans, i should have used a picture to illustrate.

Basically after this fit, which i already have in the legs..however it just occured to me my levis 501s are all vintage circa 1992. So I wonder if the rise has actually lowered, as these look like levi 501s (tapered of course).

Last edited:

Johknee

Reaction score
That jacket sounds good! I'm not spending money on jackets/suits/outwear for a while, until I have a solid trouser and shirt wardrobe. Will hopefully see and meet Rene in 2 weeks or so. Thanks for the jeans input.

For the record re: jeans, i should have used a picture to illustrate.

Basically after this fit, which i already have in the legs..however it just occured to me my levis 501s are all vintage circa 1992. So I wonder if the rise has actually lowered, as these look like levi 501s (tapered of course).

If you're thinking around the $150 mark, might be worth looking at these guys. Reasonably priced, three fits/cuts and a variety of denim weights available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads