• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next week is National Op Shop Week.

How do we sponsor you?
I do take paypal.

I suggest we have a week where people here post outfits from opshops*. I'll also try to do a few short pieces on fast fashion, clothes recycling etc. And some info about Wear For Sucess.

* I realise that Oli and PoP already do that.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Al!

Today is a beautiful prelude to spring in Canberra so thinking polo shirts anyone know about a US label Jack Spade? A friend had nothing but contempt for LE polos.

Probably end up with Ralph.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do take paypal.

I suggest we have a week where people here post outfits from opshops*. I'll also try to do a few short pieces on fast fashion, clothes recycling etc. And some info about Wear For Sucess.

* I realise that Oli and PoP already do that.
*Do the clothes I fish straight out of the donation bins count for this challenge?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Al!

Today is a beautiful prelude to spring in Canberra so thinking polo shirts anyone know about a US label Jack Spade? A friend had nothing but contempt for LE polos.

Probably end up with Ralph.

I've been wearing LE polos for the past few years and they've been fine. They advertise them as having a "non-curl" collar but this is not entirely correct - they don't tend to curl up at the edges at first but after quite a few rounds through the washing machine they do start to curl up when worn. I've been wearing a navy polo shirt from LE for the past four or five years and, although faded and a bit stretched, it's still going strong.

Another candidate is Uniqlo. I've got a few of their polo shirts, including their regular line, the Michael Bastian collaboration, and a version with a button-down collar. I think that Uniqlo have a pop-up store in Sydney at the moment so if you can get over to the big smoke you could try them on for size. You can, of course, also order online from Uniqlo's Australian website although the online selection is typically a lot smaller than the selection in their bricks-and-mortar stores.

lukejackson

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for jeans? I've been wearing 501s now for a couple of years (I get the legs tapered though). I rarley wear shirts tucked in with jeans without a jacket on, but I'd like to start doing so. However, I feel the 501 rise is just a bit too high for a younger guy. Anyone have a recommendation for something similar to the 501 cut i.e not painted on to my legs kinda jeans? I don't mind if the leg needs tapering, would just appreciate a slightly lower rise, though of course not bikini low.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been wearing LE polos for the past few years and they've been fine. They advertise them as having a "non-curl" collar but this is not entirely correct - they don't tend to curl up at the edges at first but after quite a few rounds through the washing machine they do start to curl up when worn. I've been wearing a navy polo shirt from LE for the past four or five years and, although faded and a bit stretched, it's still going strong.

Interesting JM this what my mate had to say about LE
"I've had some LE polos, both pique and jersey knit. The pique are pretty thin, so OK for summer , but the collars are floppy and the shirt itself stretches quite a bit.
I won't buy them again.

The jersey knit ones were crush resistant, so most likely treated with formaldehyde. I wore one up to the Darlo on my 50th birthday which fell on a very hot January day. I was absolutely running with sweat and yet the polo absorbed none of it. It may as well have been made of vinyl or plastic sheeting."

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for jeans? I've been wearing 501s now for a couple of years (I get the legs tapered though). I rarley wear shirts tucked in with jeans without a jacket on, but I'd like to start doing so. However, I feel the 501 rise is just a bit too high for a younger guy. Anyone have a recommendation for something similar to the 501 cut i.e not painted on to my legs kinda jeans? I don't mind if the leg needs tapering, would just appreciate a slightly lower rise, though of course not bikini low.

[Oli] RM Williams. [/Oli]

Seriously, though, pretty much the only jeans that I wear nowadays are Uniqlo. I really like their Japanese selvedge denim jeans and if the cut works for you, they're pretty hard to beat (in my humble opinion). Unfortunately, whilst the cloth is woven in Japan, the jeans aren't made in Japan anymore.

Interesting JM this what my mate had to say about LE
"I've had some LE polos, both pique and jersey knit. The pique are pretty thin, so OK for summer , but the collars are floppy and the shirt itself stretches quite a bit.
I won't buy them again.

The jersey knit ones were crush resistant, so most likely treated with formaldehyde. I wore one up to the Darlo on my 50th birthday which fell on a very hot January day. I was absolutely running with sweat and yet the polo absorbed none of it. It may as well have been made of vinyl or plastic sheeting."

GF, it's entirely possible that LE have changed the cloth and construction of their polo shirts over the past few years, but that's nothing like my experience with them. The pique fabric on mine is thick and sturdy yet not too hot because of the weave. They have stretched a bit and faded, too, but they are five or so years old so that's to be expected.

lukejackson

Reaction score
Thanks @Journeyman

I will check them out, I'm sure price is good. I contacted DeerStyle -- will have an appointment once my schedule/budget allows. Just for a shirt and some trousers to start I think. Cheers for the recommendation.

Edit: What cut of uniqlo jeans would you recommend? I was thinking relaxed fit then have some slightly tapered. Might order slim as well, return policy is fairly good. will wait a few weeks though as they are not a priority.

Last edited:

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Picked up my second pair of shoes in two weeks today from Rekaris - half sole and heel replacement (C&J's and AS). Great results and incredible value for $85. Even had toe taps and shoe laces thrown in for free.

Question: has anybody had any luck in Melbourne with getting belt loops converted to side tabs? If with who. My first guess would be Katerina's, but I've never attempted such an alteration before.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up my second pair of shoes in two weeks today from Rekaris - half sole and heel replacement (C&J's and AS). Great results and incredible value for $85. Even had toe taps and shoe laces thrown in for free.

Question: has anybody had any luck in Melbourne with getting belt loops converted to side tabs? If with who. My first guess would be Katerina's, but I've never attempted such an alteration before.

I'll be swinging past Sam's soon, I'll ask him if he can do it. I doubt he'll have the side tab adjusters though, I should be able to source those for you.

Now that I think about it, is it even possible? You surely wouldn't be getting the same material for the adjuster unless you took up your trousers or something.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point, Foxhound. I know people who have had the loops removed and had brace buttons installed instead but not anyone who's had side tabs put on.

Some photos from today:

The tie is from Henry Carter and on sale now.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like there could be a pretty close alternative - matching colour would be pretty easy, texture is obviously harder, but side tabs are, what, 7cm long? I doubt having a slightly different fabric would really be that noticeable - especially if you're wearing a jacket, sweater, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads