• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Testo

Reaction score
Bale is having 30% off atm as noted above. Probably your best bet at short notice. As this is your first suit (?), I strongly recommend going instore and checking the fit.
Inverell is a reasonable buy at $400 for decent wool and half-canvassing. Just make sure it fits.

I'm from Perth so if Bale, HB don't work and you cant afford the mega-fuckton of gold that is Parker and Co, you're screwed. Better options will exist out East.

Yea this is for an internship event so $400 is wayyy out of my price range at the moment...

Americans were telling me i could get a basic suit for $100 at a place called Penneys, and they would do free alterations in store within the same day. I have this strange suspicion that we dont have anything like that here...

Last edited:

bearwithme

Reaction score
Yea this is for an internship event so $400 is wayyy out of my price range at the moment...

Ok. Problem is DJs and Myers have ****** suits that cost more. The cheaper brands you see on high street like Politix et a might be slightly cheaper but quality is atrocious (trust me on this, I went through a now much-regretted phase).

If its after dark, you'll probably be Ok with a black suit (reading back, I think your post implied you have one) Heck, wear your black suit in the day and run with it. People on this forum hate a lot on black and I agree that its not ideal, but its not as heinous as they make it sound.

Otherwise, hit the thrift shops and get a rush alteration job for waist and sleeves. Might set you back around $80; again probably cheaper out East.

Also, you're gonna be a doctor :) How much can $400 hurt?

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cotton probably wears a lot hotter than you think for jacketings. It breathes like ****. Plenty of lighter weight herringbones out there. Get it made buggy lined to keep the weight down.
yes.I'd go as far as to say a lined cotton jacket wears hotter than a light lined wool. Often cotton is lined with cotten which doesnt breathe as well as bemberg. But I have no actual evidence.

Testo

Reaction score
Ok. Problem is DJs and Myers have ****** suits that cost more. The cheaper brands you see on high street like Politix et a might be slightly cheaper but quality is atrocious (trust me on this, I went through a now much-regretted phase).

If its after dark, you'll probably be Ok with a black suit (reading back, I think your post implied you have one) Heck, wear your black suit in the day and run with it. People on this forum hate a lot on black and I agree that its not ideal, but its not as heinous as they make it sound.

Otherwise, hit the thrift shops and get a rush alteration job for waist and sleeves. Might set you back around $80; again probably cheaper out East.

Also, you're gonna be a doctor :) How much can $400 hurt?

I only have black pants, but when i asked if i could just get a black jacket, everyone was telling me that was a terrible idea because black suits are for funerals/formal receptions and i would need a navy/charcoal one.

I'm not gonna be a doctor lol, i'm studying commerce and i'm worried sick about whether i can get a job after graduation since every employer is insisting that you must have PR/Citizenship to apply....

Edit : Something occured to me about shoes, it's often said that you need to wait 48 hours for a shoe to fully dry, but that doesn't make sense to me unless your feet are sweating a LOT. Most or all your natural feet sweat should be going into your socks, not the shoe...is there any scientific basis to this claim?

Last edited:

bearwithme

Reaction score
I only have black pants, but when i asked if i could just get a black jacket, everyone was telling me that was a terrible idea because black suits are for funerals/formal receptions and i would need a navy/charcoal one.

I'm not gonna be a doctor lol, i'm studying commerce and i'm worried sick about whether i can get a job after graduation since every employer is insisting that you must have PR/Citizenship to apply....

Haha. saw the word internship and assumed.

Yes, a black odd jacket with black pants is indeed a terrible idea and will actually create a much worse impression that going jacketless.

Maybe try a dark red cardigan or a V neck sweater with the pants?

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. But seriously, if you're going to work in commerce, you should probs start saving up for a decent interview suit.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congrats pinky. I was thinking of you last night when I went to Sunshine On Leigh. I loved it.

Thanks. Glad to hear that. Look forward to catching at the swear for Success night (presuming you're going). Who else is in for that?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oli, I've got about 4 sport coats in a grey or b & w herringbone that resolves to grey at around 2 metres. They are tweed or tweedish and therefore I don't wear them much but also I just don't find them as versatile. I have a nice very dark grey with an orange y window pane. I used to find it very versatile as it was lightweight wool. I dont wear it much now mainly cos I'm notnmhappy with the fit. My experience is that the browns, various shades/tones I have are more versatile. Brown works with the much sf feared navy slacks too.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup I'm at swear for success. I'm good at it.

Remember Sale on 18 and 19 I think if that's a Friday and sat. Lots for the girls. Not much for boys like us. Although remember Azzaro is just around the corner as is Beggar Man Thief.

Mikeee

Reaction score
You have two very different navy's there what are you after? I have seen the hotham and its not bad for the on sale price but its flannel so won't be as versatile as other options. If you don't have much of a rotation there is an argument to be had for flannel wearing quicker too.

If you want a proper more straight navy might be worth considering the saunders with the 30% off brings it in line with the other two anyway or go in store and check out the mudgee navy suit.
I just want a suit to wear to weddings, formal occasions, interviews and such. I am not your 9-5 office worker who needs to wear a suit every day. As such will not need a rotation, although I already have a charcoal suit.

Why is flannel not as versatile? Is it for winter only?

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup I'm at swear for success. I'm good at it.

Remember Sale on 18 and 19 I think if that's a Friday and sat. Lots for the girls. Not much for boys like us. Although remember Azzaro is just around the corner as is Beggar Man Thief.

Thanks for the sale warning. Usual place? My wife did very well at the last one.

See you on Thursday.

suttonzach

Reaction score

Edit : Something occured to me about shoes, it's often said that you need to wait 48 hours for a shoe to fully dry, but that doesn't make sense to me unless your feet are sweating a LOT. Most or all your natural feet sweat should be going into your socks, not the shoe...is there any scientific basis to this claim?

If you're on the smaller side is consider this suit: http://www.mjbale.com/on-sale/mens-suits/atlas-grey-suit-14199 (<$300 though only in a size 36)

Otherwise, I'd probably head to Uniqlo or H&M if you're just after a decent disposable suit. Bear in mind though that the longevity of anything you get from a fashion brand will typically be much less than that of a more traditional menswear brand.

Edit: don't discount heading to DFO either if you have one nearby, often many bargains to be had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads