• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear blue trousers quite a bit - cotton or light wool in summer and corduroy in winter.
In summer - wear with tan, sand, light brown, grey or light blue jackets in linen, cotton or light wool.
In winter - wear with chocolate brown or grey herringbone weave jackets, or check jackets in tan or brown with a blue check.

^^ This. The idea is to mismatch with light/dark combination.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would agree that RMW's with suit is a common look these days - and that's a key word, common. I have seen many a consultant surgeon wear that look.
Had to laugh when I read this. Twenty years ago I had to have some plastic surgrey done, a friend of mine, an opthamologist, told me to check out the shoes of the registars and surgeon when I went in. He told me that they would all be wearing Brogues which would be of English origin. And lo and behold everybody was wearing black brogues. He used to wear cap toe oxfords to work. I know different professions favour particular styles of ties eg finance = staid stripes. So is there still a division in the medical profession in terms of who wears what footwear?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF ipad keeps double posting!Merde!

Last edited:

Naka

Reaction score
I would agree that RMW's with suit is a common look these days - and that's a key word, common. I have seen many a consultant surgeon wear that look.
Had to laugh when I read this. Twenty years ago I had to have some plastic surgrey done, a friend of mine, an opthamologist, told me to check out the shoes of the registars and surgeon when I went in. He told me that they would all be wearing Brogues which would be of English origin. And lo and behold everybody was wearing black brogues. He used to wear cap toe oxfords to work. I know different professions favour particular styles of ties eg finance = staid stripes. So is there still a division in the medical profession in terms of who wears what footwear?
I think that there is a lot of division even amongst certain professions. One particular office may all wear french cuffs, but move to a different floor and they may all wear buttons, or not care at all. I've had customers telling me that in their circle of CEO's, banker's collars were the height of elegance, and I've had other customers tell me that the aforementioned shirts were reserved for plebs. It's all context.

Spandexter

Reaction score

Thanks Journeyman. I'm in the process of expanding beyond suits as, to be honest, I'm a little bored with them. It's actually harder than I thought trying to ensure things remain both cohesive and professional so thanks for the helpful response. The limited options of a size 36 don't help but I find purchases need to be carefully considered nonetheless.

Naka

Reaction score

Thanks Journeyman. I'm in the process of expanding beyond suits as, to be honest, I'm a little bored with them. It's actually harder than I thought trying to ensure things remain both cohesive and professional so thanks for the helpful response. The limited options of a size 36 don't help but I find purchases need to be carefully considered nonetheless.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/317329/jrds-guide-to-coherent-sportcoat-combinations/0_30

This might help as well, started by a member here.

Last edited:

iSurg

Reaction score
Quote:
Had to laugh when I read this. Twenty years ago I had to have some plastic surgrey done, a friend of mine, an opthamologist, told me to check out the shoes of the registars and surgeon when I went in. He told me that they would all be wearing Brogues which would be of English origin. And lo and behold everybody was wearing black brogues.
He used to wear cap toe oxfords to work. I know different professions favour particular styles of ties eg finance = staid stripes.
So is there still a division in the medical profession in terms of who wears what footwear?

I'd have to say yes, but these are only my personal observations.

Anaesthetists - Crocs, Birkenstocks, Nikes (anything that's comfy in theatre and casual).
Surgeons - most wear RMW's (mostly chestnut craftsman), some have Aquila monstrosities, some older ones wear well-polished florsheim brogues. I've only seen one pair of cordovan brogues ever.
Emergency - sneakers, I saw a pair of sketchers (the ones that supposedly help you lose weight)
Physicians - mostly mixed bag of shoes, no clear pattern
Ophthal's - wear whatever, no clear pattern.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:

Anaesthetists - Crocs, Birkenstocks, Nikes (anything that's comfy in theatre and casual).
Surgeons - most wear RMW's (mostly chestnut craftsman), some have Aquila monstrosities, some older ones wear well-polished florsheim brogues. I've only seen one pair of cordovan brogues ever. 
Emergency - sneakers, I saw a pair of sketchers (the ones that supposedly help you lose weight)

What about podiatrists?

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

iSurg, what speciality do you work in?? (presuming you're a doctor)

Got a lot of family in the field.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt

I think you'll find that people like to remain anonymous when using forums. :).

Michael,

One would hope you're not cynical enough to suggest a job title is synonymous with one's identity.

;)

jmills

Reaction score
Does anyone know where we can get Salt frames online? I tried google, but sadly there are so many garbage results to do with eyewear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads