• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmills

Reaction score
You checkin' up on me?

Not at all.
rotflmao.gif

Just thought I'd pay it forward. That blog entry stuck in my mind, since it was posted right as I got home from a conservative business dress pant haul.

streetminimal

Reaction score
Ryback, did you check the store's return policies? If they aren't chinos you might have to return them!

xiaoli

Reaction score
Hi Guys, For the skinny people out there, I want to sell off some shirts.

I bought 4 Uniqlo Oxford Button Down Collar shirts recently but they are slightly to small for me.

They are sourced from Malaysia, size S (Asian size S would be XS in Europe/US I presume). Comes in White, Blue, Pink and Lavender. All only worn about 2~3 each, and in perfect condition.

Will do all 4 together for $50 shipped. PM if interested.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ryback, did you check the store's return policies? If they aren't chinos you might have to return them!

stirpot.gif

all technicalities

If I glanced at a guy in the street with these on id just think chinos unless they were wool/smooth material .. esp since they are light coloured like the americans always wear ... i think it has something to do with military-inspiration but meh they are pants that cover your legs, are cotton and are made by your favourite brand RL just wear them

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For similar small-timers in shoes like myself, I am providing some feedback on my experience of some entry level shoes.

About 4 months ago, I purchased a pair of Herring build to Loake 1880 specifications, and also a pair of Meermin classic range black oxfords. The prices are similar. All of them were given the same maintenance treatment, rotated wear of once per week, and had shoe trees.

The Loake had better (but coarser) finishing than the Meermin. The Meermin had some minor scuff marks, loose threads, uneven stitching, etc. However, the Meermin's overall construction quality was a bit "finer", with nice touches such as 45 degrees sawn off edges on the heel (don't know the technical term, not bothered googling).

The leather quality for Meermin is definitely better than the Loake. Both leathers were stiff right out of the box, but the Meermin was slightly stiffer. However, the Meermin leather broke in much faster than the Loake, and has now molded to my feet for a much better fit than the Loake. The Meermin leather gives a better shine with less work, and appears to have better lustre and depth. I am just comparing basic black leather.

The inner leather lining of the Meermin is again better quality than the Loake. The leather appears to be thicker but supple.

The footbed of the Meermin provides much more comfort than the Loake (which is still hard and stiff). In fact, the Meermin "cushioning" is on par with Bally Scribes.

Initial wear of the soles were much faster for Meermin than the Loake. However, after about 5 wears, the rate of wear on the soles of the Meermin has reached a steady state and is wearing as normal. The Loake was topied after 5 wears, and at the time of topying, the wear was less than the Meermin.

There is no noticeable difference in leather creasing between Meermin and Loake. Both are snug fits for my feet, with the Meermin having a very slight heel slippage due to a larger heel area.

Overall, my money definitely comes down on the side of the Meermin.

Hope this helps.

Robert Meredith

Reaction score
Looking at picking up a tie box, any suggestions?

Any particular reason why I should go a hanger over a box?

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any particular reason why I should go a hanger over a box?

Ties are like clothes, hanging helps to remove creases, stretching due to knots etc. I just can't see that this would work as well in a tie box.

Also rolling up ties after a day at work is the absolute last thing I can imagine myself wanting to do. I have enough trouble motivating myself to put my pants into the clamp hanger :S

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

im a big Il Bisonte junkie ... i like building up my own patina over time and get the natural veg-tanned leather

I thought Il Bisonte is generally a fair bit more pricey than the bag Geoff linked to? It's nice stuff and Wanny Filippo is a legend but I'm not sure you could pick up one of his comparable messenger bags for less than $500.

Geoff do you have your heart set on a messenger bag or are you just looking for something stylish to hold all your stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads