• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gents,
In further homage to the spring weather, I've left the orange trousers at home today, but I'm wearing a pair of calf-and-canvas spectator shoes.
Here are a couple of shots:
Jacket, shirt and tie (all by local MTO operation, Deer Style):

Navy cotton pants and spectators - the shoes are C&J for Peal & Co/Brooks Brothers:

Nice!

lennier

Reaction score

That's better, thanks fxh. Yep it's a cotton-linen shirt. I'll probably wear it sans tie a bit, just considering my options...

Personally I like a rich burgundy with the one shirt I have with purple-ish stripes. The unofficial oz-SF tie might go well. :)

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,
In further homage to the spring weather, I've left the orange trousers at home today, but I'm wearing a pair of calf-and-canvas spectator shoes.
Here are a couple of shots:
Jacket, shirt and tie (all by local MTO operation, Deer Style):

Navy cotton pants and spectators - the shoes are C&J for Peal & Co/Brooks Brothers:
Nice color for jacket. What is the material?

Nice shoes too.

xiaoli

Reaction score
After a hiatus to recover I am back in the Menswear Shopping game!

Carmina

PRL

Herring Shoes

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice one man!

Mind sharing details on the Polo Ralph Lauren jacket?

I've been wanting something similar for a while.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone else find that FiH knots don't work that well with a wide spread or cutaway collar? I don't like how the non-tied bits of the tie are somewhat visible around the neck. Will probably go back to full/half windsor for my cutaway/wide spread collar shirts.

I particularly like how, at times, the non-tied bits may be somewhat visible. In any case, I can't stand full windsor knots. I think they're ugly.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice one man!

Epaulet makes an overshirt that's sort of similar:

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1347/Cutaway-Collar-Overshirt-Navy/Detail

I think they're making a few more overshirt type garmets for the upcoming US fall too - worth keeping an eye on if you're in the market.

On that note I am quite sad to be seeing the back of winter... it just brings with it so many more options in terms of dressing yourself.

Potentially you have shoes/boots, socks, pants (wool, flannel, tweed, moleskin...), shirt, tie, knitwear, jacket of some sort, gloves, scarf, PS, many types of coats, umbrella....

Summer is what - shoes, socks, pants, shirt... and a tie & jacket that you often wish you weren't wearing?

And as we have discussed previously unfortunately summer suiting fabrics aren't well accepted in the Aus business environment leaving you with even fewer interesting options...

I have a few winter related things arriving shortly that i will pretty much have to put in the back of the closet straight away for next year (Navy Moleskin trousers, CJ gloves...).

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I particularly like how, at times, the non-tied bits may be somewhat visible. In any case, I can't stand full windsor knots. I think they're ugly.

I quite like the non-tied bit too. If the tie knot is too skinny you could go DFIH but the imperfections add interest. But if you dont feel confident wearing it then defintiely go for a diff collar instead ... your clothes should always look they belong to the owner

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Nice one man!
get a proper military one .. here's an example but m65 field jacket google search bring back alot. I quite like PJ's Beretta one

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That's the plan man.

PJ's Beretta one is actually a safari jacket. I wouldn't be able to speak to the subtle differences between the two styles (M65 and Safari Jacket), but surely in a place like Style Forum, there's someone who's able to speak authoritatively as to the peculiarities of each?

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
^ That's the plan man.
PJ's Beretta one is actually a safari jacket. I wouldn't be able to speak to the subtle differences between the two styles (M65 and Safari Jacket), but surely in a place like Style Forum, there's someone who's able to speak authoritatively as to the peculiarities of each?
That aint a knife ... this is a knife! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads