• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star

Reaction score

Do you guys put topy soles on all your shoes? Or only when the leather sole starts to wear?

I know there are some people who are appalled at the idea of getting Topy's on their leather soled shoes but I dont give it a second thought and get them added soon after the purchase. For me it provides additional grip and prolongs the life of the sole particularly if you do alot of walking on concrete. I also get an additonal thin piece of rubber added to the sole for the same reason and to provide a little more height.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys put topy soles on all your shoes? Or only when the leather sole starts to wear?

I wear the shoes few times before adding the topy. It gives the leather sole a bit of time to stretch and also I just love to enjoy the shoe. Only once I added topy on a brand new pair. The sole now has stretched a bit and I can see a bit of white line in between topy and leather sole around the toe. Don't be afraid to wear leather soled shoes. Leather will not get serious damages in 10-15 wears.

eightace

Reaction score
My recent purchase:

Allen Edmonds Shelton (vintage, but in great nick!) - $65USD landed. Splendid!

g-banger

Reaction score

To those who reside in Sydney: I just went to a birthday party in the new Darling Quarter (old Sega world). If you ignore the copious numbers if toolbags lurking about, it's not too bad. 

yeah mate, i agree. had a mates dinner at Braza (brazilian BBQ) pretty impressed and the atmosphere around that part of town is nice.

least you had a nice night I was in the Cross last night , unfortunately i watched a few girls get screamed at by guys, chicks stacking down stairs and had a good laugh watching my fellow ethnic counter-parts that wish they were from mediterranean driving around doing happy laps.

Last edited:

teacher2

Reaction score
Any SOUTH AUSTRALIANS here?

Anywhere sell Loake or Lloyd outside of conservative business dress David Jones?
Anywhere sell Crockett & Jones?

Cheers,

tone76

Reaction score

I think it's just me and Prof B. Bear, and he's gone AWOL. There used to be some other dude whose name escapes me, but he left Adelaide years ago.

Anywhere sell Loake or Lloyd outside of conservative business dress David Jones?

Lloyd? Ewww. If you must have Lloyd, I'm pretty sure Lana Lang Shoes in the Central Market sell those. But really ... why would you want Lloyd? They're ugly, glued and horrendously overpriced. I haven't seen C&Js anywhere, but I haven't really looked too hard.

Your best best is to either look at shoes next time you're in Melbourne or try on a pair of Loake 1880s at DJs and then order the same pair from somewhere like Herring or Pediwear.

Adelaide is a very bleak place when it comes to sourcing quality men's footwear, RM Williams notwithstanding.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, Loakes at DJ isn't really that much more expensive than from online. Loakes at DJs seem to be on sale so often.

Also I noticed DJs stock Jimmy Choos now.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score

Cheers,

Yup Adelaide here. Moved into an apartment in the conservative business dress which didn't have cabling from the exchange to the complex so no net for a while. Finally connected.

Peter Shearer has 30% off some of their blazers/jackets for those interested. Picked up an all round navy Studio Italia blazer for $240. Not the best quality in the world but will do for a few months until one can afford P.Johnson MTM.

tone76

Reaction score

Yup Adelaide here. Moved into an apartment in the conservative business dress which didn't have cabling from the exchange to the complex so no net for a while. Finally connected.
Peter Shearer has 30% off some of their blazers/jackets for those interested. Picked up an all round navy Studio Italia blazer for $240. Not the best quality in the world but will do for a few months until one can afford P.Johnson MTM.

Welcome back!

Thanks for the heads up re: Peter Shearer. I bought my first suit from there about 7 years ago; a Cambridge. I have a vague recollection of the sales associate describing it as superior to cheaper suits as it had a floating later of horse hair in the lapels rather than being just glued together. In hindsight, I think what he was trying to tell me is that it was half-canvassed ... so there you go.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The classic Burberry London Gardabine cotton trench is very pricey and they do not come up easily up on ebay or atleast something that does appear to be a fake. At the Burberry store in Sydney they retail for $2495 AUD. In the UK they retail for £995 (approx $1450 AUD). Now you can appreciate how global brands and local retailers **** Australians and tben wonder why people ignore the bricks and mortar stores and have drifted to online shopping.

In my experience, you'll get more results - and more genuine results, too - if you look exclusively on ebay.co.uk rather than ebay.com.

picked up a almost unused, double-breasted Burberry trench there a few years back, with a button-in camelhair lining to boot, for the equivalent of a few hundred dollars. It does take persistence and patience to find what you want, but the payoff can be huge.

Make sure you know your size, though, because online measurements can be tricky owing to the lack of shoulder seams as the Burberry trench has raglan sleeves.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers,

More and more everyday.

I know Henry Buck's stock Loake, among other brands, although I'm unsure as to whether they go as far as C&J. If you can't get into the city, try Burnside Village. It's upscale enough to have some, somewhere in there.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Always Topy.

meister does Topy and he owns more shoes than anyone else in Australia.

reasons = prevents leather sole wear, most importantly prevents lipping over on marble floors, and with few exceptions there is nobody in Australia who can resole stitched shoes properly.

kickstart

Reaction score

Always Topy.
reasons = prevents leather sole wear, most importantly prevents lipping over on marble floors, and with few exceptions there is nobody in Australia who can resole stitched shoes properly.

I hear RM Williams are good at resoleing - but obviously they aren't about to do my Cheaney's etc.

BRB getting Topy'ed...

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score

Always Topy.

And I'm sure sending them to somewhere where they can is prohibitively expensive?

Nice saddle shoes btw. I'd really love a pair.

teacher2

Reaction score
I think it's just me and Prof B. Bear, and he's gone AWOL. There used to be some other dude whose name escapes me, but he left Adelaide years ago.
Lloyd? Ewww. If you must have Lloyd, I'm pretty sure Lana Lang Shoes in the Central Market sell those. But really ... why would you want Lloyd? They're ugly, glued and horrendously overpriced. I haven't seen C&Js anywhere, but I haven't really looked too hard.
Your best best is to either look at shoes next time you're in Melbourne or try on a pair of Loake 1880s at DJs and then order the same pair from somewhere like Herring or Pediwear.
Adelaide is a very bleak place when it comes to sourcing quality men's footwear, RM Williams notwithstanding.

Cheers for your thoughts.

Eh, I got a pair of Lloyd shoes about 16 months ago, and they are still going strong. As far as men shoes go, realistically, what is better in Adelaide? Loakes... but, anything else?

In my mind, they are my second favourite shoe brand that are sold in Adelaide. I'm happy with them. They have worn very nicely, seem well made and are very, very comfortable. Not a single complaint. Sure, they might only last five years instead of 10.... but, there are benefits. For example, getting them re-soled will be much easier..... oh, and they are comfortable. I've tried on over half a dozen different Loakes, and I have never been comfortable in a pair :(. I think I need a 'G" fitting, and most (all?) of the Loakes I've tried on have been F. I think I want a 7G... so, wide, but not very long! Maybe 7.5 G.

I can buy Loake online much cheaper than I can buy Lloyds, and I prefer Loakes, and I know Loakes are better.... but, Lloyd is the best brand of shoe I've tried on in Adelaide that was comfortable... and I still think that they are good.

Luckily, I am going to Sydney in 3 weeks... but, I had wanted to get a pair by this Tuesday. Whilst I am there, I will try on some C&Js (and perhaps a couple more Loakes) in Sydney... but, C&J isn't sold at Herring Shoes, and Pediwear have trouble getting them in...

Perhaps a pair of Loake boots would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads