• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lachyzee,

Thanks for posting some photos.

I agree that you could probably have your waist measurement increased a little bit, but conversely, I think that you could bring your shoulder measurement in a bit as the shoulder seams don't look as though they are sitting on your actual shoulders but are slightly off to the side.

I've always thought that the fit of a shirt - like a jacket - starts with the shoulders.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm thanks for the replies,

I actually thought the shoulders were, if anything, a little short, but maybe the shoulders could be brought in a little on the left side - that's my shorter shoulder. PJs actually measured me for my jacket at 19.75". I think they do that based on where your upper arm/shoulder muscles end, though, and not on where the point of your shoulder bone is. Tom there told me that my upper arm muscles added considerable to that measurement, so maybe it needs to be a bit shorter for a shirt as opposed to a jacket.

Based on that post Luxire has already suggested an alteration they could do to my pattern to remove the crease below the shoulder on the back view - they are good like that :)

Jason - thanks for clearing that up RE the waist measurement, hadn't even thought about halving the 3 inches!

Turns out it will cost more to enlarge the shirts than I had though, so maybe I will just live with it/lose some weight and order some more with slightly more generous measurements for the winter months...

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
/IMG]increase hem

A few thoughts. Are you able to raise the arm holes? I think the sleeve looks slightly baggy relative to the body.

I cant quite pick it but the shirt looks a bit boxy in the body - perhaps it needs to come in more at the waist and expand at the hip. We keep the hip and shoulder measurement the same and taper in at the waist to give this shape

Perhaps also try a higher rise pant (esp at rear) to see how it looks?

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Called in a the Sydney Henry Bucks big sale today. It finishes on Saturday and looks pretty depleted. I can't remeber who was interested in this, but the Penhaligon's didn't appear to be included - though there were some Floris on spesh. Some of those Penhaligons are nice though. I already had a sampler of the Blenheim Bouquet from Mensbiz - and apart from the fact that it sound like somethign the Queen Mother would have worn - I really like it. The other one which was nice was Quercus.

Also can't remember who was asking about braces - but they do have some. Not a huge range and pricey. They look very much like Thurston braces but carry HB branding. They were all 2 in 1 - meaning you can change between button or clip ends as you like.

I bought a nice cashmere tie in a sort of thick tattersall pattern. I'll put that one away for a couple of months.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few thoughts. Are you able to raise the arm holes? I think the sleeve looks slightly baggy relative to the body. I cant quite pick it but the shirt looks a bit boxy in the body - perhaps it needs to come in more at the waist and expand at the hip. We keep the hip and shoulder measurement the same and taper in at the waist to give this shape Perhaps also try a higher rise pant (esp at rear) to see how it looks?
Thanks for your comments, believe it or not, those pants are fresh from PJs, and I generally trust their judgment :) I agree they are slightly baggy round the back, but I think it's how it has to be when you have a big butt like mine...

Last edited:

iSurg

Reaction score
Just got a massive gift from myself for V Day (why should my wife have all the fun?) and also in time for a friend's wedding this weekend.

Thanks to Chris at Double Monk - great guy. Very happy with this jump in the deep end! No more shoes for me this year? Was still hoping to stop by Carmina in Paris in Sept...

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just got a massive gift from myself for V Day (why should my wife have all the fun?) and also in time for a friend's wedding this weekend.

Thanks to Chris at Double Monk - great guy. Very happy with this jump in the deep end! No more shoes for me this year? Was still hoping to stop by Carmina in Paris in Sept...

score! i heard they got new stock this week too:)

Thanks for your comments, believe it or not, those pants are fresh from PJs, and I generally trust their judgment
smile.gif
I agree they are slightly baggy round the back, but I think it's how it has to be when you have a big butt like mine...

yes i trust their judgement too. All im saying is to experiment and try a higher rear-rise and wear your pants higher

also no-belt would be a cleaner line too

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Called in a the Sydney Henry Bucks big sale today. It finishes on Saturday and looks pretty depleted. I can't remeber who was interested in this, but the Penhaligon's didn't appear to be included - though there were some Floris on spesh. Some of those Penhaligons are nice though. I already had a sampler of the Blenheim Bouquet from Mensbiz - and apart from the fact that it sound like somethign the Queen Mother would have worn - I really like it. The other one which was nice was Quercus. Also can't remember who was asking about braces - but they do have some. Not a huge range and pricey. They look very much like Thurston braces but carry HB branding. They were all 2 in 1 - meaning you can change between button or clip ends as you like. I bought a nice cashmere tie in a sort of thick tattersall pattern. I'll put that one away for a couple of months.
Do they have any EG on sale in Sydney store ?
Just got a massive gift from myself for V Day (why should my wife have all the fun?) and also in time for a friend's wedding this weekend. Thanks to Chris at Double Monk - great guy. Very happy with this jump in the deep end! No more shoes for me this year? Was still hoping to stop by Carmina in Paris in Sept...
LL
det plz..

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

score! i heard they got new stock this week too:)

yes i trust their judgement too. All im saying is to experiment and try a higher rear-rise and wear your pants higher

also no-belt would be a cleaner line too

Next pants will be no belt loops. Never even thought about wearing pants higher. Come to think of it, I do wear them pretty low. Perhaps not how they were meant to be worn when they were made up and contributes to some of the excess fabric at the butt.

Last edited:

iSurg

Reaction score
^ Yup, extra sizes and styles. For those with smaller feet, sizes for 6 and 6.5 slowly coming in over 3 months.

Deets: George Cleverly, don't have the model name on hand (in my locker). Very sleek last :)

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I get some quick and dirty advice? I took an afternoon nap after making dinner for V day and took an afternoon nap and woke up like 2 hours later and now feel groggy as ****; wife will be back in an hour or so and everything's ready but I feel like absolute ****. Anyone know any quick wake up tricks....
P.S. I understand this is random but googling just reveals to sleep less in the afternoon.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold shower.

deingesicht

Reaction score
Can I get some quick and dirty advice? I took an afternoon nap after making dinner for V day and took an afternoon nap and woke up like 2 hours later and now feel groggy as ****; wife will be back in an hour or so and everything's ready but I feel like absolute ****. Anyone know any quick wake up tricks....
P.S. I understand this is random but googling just reveals to sleep less in the afternoon.
Play chicken with a train - that always wakes me up!

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fill up sink with ice water,keep some ice for vodka slammer,belt VS back then plunge head into sink stay submerged as long as possible. If doesn't work repeat as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads