• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have wide shoulders, a skinny waist, and wide thighs. If I find a suit that fits my shoulders, the waist is often far too big. If I find pants that fit my thighs, I need a significant taper, and the pants are often too long. Bit annoying for sure.

I know your pain, as I was similar when I was young - until an indulgent lifestyle and middle-aged spread evened up my measurements!

It's not that hard to have a jacket brought in through the sides to give more shape to the waist.

With regard to the trousers, a number of companies now sell "suit separates" and I think that MJ Bale is one such company. Rather than selling a size 40 jacket with size 34 trousers as a set, it's now often possible to mix-and-match with sizing in the same suit fabric, so you can get a size 40 jacket with size 32 or 36 trousers (as an example, depending on what you need).

I used to wear trousers with a 30- or 32-inch waist but due to my cycling, I usually had to get the size up (so 32 or 34) and then get the trousers taken in at the waist. Once again, this is a pretty simple procedure for any capable tailor and should not cost much.

With regard to trouser length, pretty much everyone needs to have trousers taken up so that's not unusual at all. It does amuse (and frustrate) me, though, that as jacket or trouser size gets larger, the sleeves and legs usually get longer. Just because you're larger around the chest and waist doesn't mean that you've got long arms and legs!

Reniliaz

Reaction score
Just because you're larger around the chest and waist doesn't mean that you've got long arms and legs!
Amen.

Thanks for the detailed advice! Can't wait to do a little bit of indulging myself when I can afford to, and let the tummy out a little :lurk:

BananaKing

Reaction score
Hi gents, looking for advice on how to salvage this white shirt which has been turned a slight pink hue in the washing machine. Kamakura OCBD

Is it possible to get this white again or as an inferior alternative turn it properly pink?

Edit: the picture doesn't seem very representative. In person it is clearly not white, but not quite an acceptable off white either. A subtle pink hue that is jarring.

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_090506.jpg
    IMG_20190922_090506.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 41

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BananaKing Have you tried a day long soak in Nappisan or some similar product.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gents, looking for advice on how to salvage this white shirt which has been turned a slight pink hue in the washing machine. Kamakura OCBD

Is it possible to get this white again or as an inferior alternative turn it properly pink?

Edit: the picture doesn't seem very representative. In person it is clearly not white, but not quite an acceptable off white either. A subtle pink hue that is jarring.
Wear it as is for the spezz ?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GF I haven't tried anything yet. Open to suggestions as to where to start and what *not* to do. I can try nappisan. How does bleach go?
I would try Nappisan first not found of bleach as a stain remover.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, new member, first message. Based in Melbourne. Hope you're all well.

Finally secured work after graduation, and I'm looking to buy an MTM suit.

I understand this is a bit of a repetitive question (I've checked out many threads on multiple forums on this topic), but it's a big purchase for me and I want to make sure it's right.

Is there a consensus on the best option(s) for an MTM suit/OTR suit with alterations, around the $1000 mark? I just read a reccommendation of SuitSupply in the previous pages but they have no stores in Melbourne.

I have seen frequent mentions of Oscar Hunt and Suit Supply; are these my best options are this price point? Are there any superior or similar options?

Cheers. Help is deeply appreciated.

This forum is a bit down on local MTM lately :). OTR stuff doesn't fit me either, and so I know how much time and money you can waste trying to find OTR options that fit, or having alterations done that don't work out. For People Like Us I think places like Suit Shop or Oscar Hunt are good value. For the same amount of money, two suits that fit perfectly is far better than four that don't, or don't quite.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This forum is a bit down on local MTM lately :). OTR stuff doesn't fit me either, and so I know how much time and money you can waste trying to find OTR options that fit, or having alterations done that don't work out. For People Like Us I think places like Suit Shop or Oscar Hunt are good value. For the same amount of money, two suits that fit perfectly is far better than four that don't, or don't quite.

Totally agree. If off the rack with some alts works then that's fantastic, but most OTR stuff doesn't work for me now.

discomute

Reaction score
I have wide shoulders, a skinny waist, and wide thighs. If I find a suit that fits my shoulders, the waist is often far too big. If I find pants that fit my thighs, I need a significant taper, and the pants are often too long. Bit annoying for sure.

Cheers

Similar. I found success with TJ Lewin suits where you can buy a slim fit jacket with regular pants. I think if your thighs and waist are exceptionally disproportionate you can buy the bigger type and pay for a tailor to take them in. You'll need them hemmed anyway (they are sold unhemmed).

There are only 2 suits right now that can do this, so either PM me or get use TJ online's chat function with one of the customer service people.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ian Nessick 28 Oxford st Paddington is having a 70% off sale. Pleated white linen trousers(sigh) shirts and jackets. Well worth a look.

Reniliaz

Reaction score
Spent some time reading up some few hundred pages of this thread; feel like I'm learning a lot about sartorialism just reading these posts (whether I'm being misguided or not is another matter entirely:p). Looking forward to building up a decent wardrobe and styling like some of the folk here.

Also, feels appropriate to have one of my first few posts on SF be a quick fit pic. My current one and only suit that I've used for everything. Godwin Charli, haphazardly altered with the first option for alterations I saw. Have to tighten my belt mucho tight to avoid my pants from falling, probably need some further alterations.

20190925_174407.jpg

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C8C58D3F-9168-4411-A59B-71D7E1E975B0.jpeg
Anniversary dinner with Mrs GF at Pilot in Ainslie. Definitely recommend it for excellent food and ambiance.

Jacket from OH which I had taken in this week. Shirt by Anthony Squire, linen trousers by Lands End shoes Allen Edmonds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads