• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kingsolomon

Reaction score
Looking for a good quality wallet. Preferably bi-fold with a coin purse section on the outside. Thinking calf-leather and I want it to look nice with attention to the stitching. I'm going to Philippines and Japan were cash is king.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been looking for a patch pocket midnight blue linen jacket to no avail.

So in Sydney at Martin Place think Suit Supply.OMG post Op Pop art design?

Picked up a woolen unstructured 110 Italian fabric two button jacet. Will have to slightly alter the sleeves. Overall very happy.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been looking for a patch pocket midnight blue linen jacket to no avail.

So in Sydney at Martin Place think Suit Supply.OMG post Op Pop art design?

Picked up a woolen unstructured 110 Italian fabric two button jacet. Will have to slightly alter the sleeves. Overall very happy.

I recently purchased a blue linen patch pocket blazer from MJ Bale. Quite decent from the looks of it, but have not worn it yet.

On the issue of polos, I am happy with the 100% cotton ones from Uniqlo. These only came in 3 colors though, unlike the multiblend ones.

ovlov

Reaction score
Looking for a good quality wallet. Preferably bi-fold with a coin purse section on the outside. Thinking calf-leather and I want it to look nice with attention to the stitching. I'm going to Philippines and Japan were cash is king.

IMHO if you aren't in a rush this is exactly the type of thing SF's B&S is good for. So many people impluse buy accessories or get them as gifts that then just sit on their dresser for months until they decide to get rid of it.
I picked up a beautiful bnwt ettinger coat wallet on there a while back for about 60-70% off retail.

The J

Reaction score
How are you other Aussies ordering from Spier & Mackay? I was about to place an order on their website, though I'm only seeing United States in the country drop down menu.
Here's a reply I got from them a week ago when I enquired on shipping to Aus;
The infrastructure for global shipping is currently being built but for the meantime,
We do international shipping on below terms and conditions,

1) Shipping charges to be paid from your side, once you provide the exact address.

2) In case of returns, it will be at your cost

3) Shipping takes 7-10 days or more based on the destination and courier service selected.

Once I have given you the quote you can decide if you would like to proceed and then we can discuss what the order will entail.
Please reply with the shipping address to
- [email protected] as it will come straight to me
unnamed (1).png

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an update on my last 2 Spier & Mackay orders to Sydney (already posted in the affiliate thread):
- John didn't reply to my email for 5 days, but had actually shipped the first. It's already in Australia doing the customs 3 day wait thing.
- My second order was shipped to the US. So, maybe get in touch with service@ before you order on the site. I take back the idea that it's a good idea to make an order, put a fake address and hope for the best :p (in my case it's a forwarding service, but a filler address would have sucked).
- Rick followed up within hours of my posting on the dedicated thread and John within minutes of that... from service@ when I had emailed helpdesk@ (which he says he didn't see). So maybe the helpdesk@ inbox doesn't work or is overly aggressive on spam classification (I have this issue with my business, unfortunately with our expenses email - it just won't whitelist me!)

Either way it's not 7-10 days, I counted 11 days on the last one; and they do follow up on customer service.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an update on my last 2 Spier & Mackay orders to Sydney (already posted in the affiliate thread):
- John didn't reply to my email for 5 days, but had actually shipped the first. It's already in Australia doing the customs 3 day wait thing.
- My second order was shipped to the US. So, maybe get in touch with service@ before you order on the site. I take back the idea that it's a good idea to make an order, put a fake address and hope for the best :p (in my case it's a forwarding service, but a filler address would have sucked).
- Rick followed up within hours of my posting on the dedicated thread and John within minutes of that... from service@ when I had emailed helpdesk@ (which he says he didn't see). So maybe the helpdesk@ inbox doesn't work or is overly aggressive on spam classification (I have this issue with my business, unfortunately with our expenses email - it just won't whitelist me!)

Either way it's not 7-10 days, I counted 11 days on the last one; and they do follow up on customer service.

Sounds so troublesome for what should be a simple transaction..

Decreased

Reaction score
Anyone tried the reborn Rhodes and Beckett?

I've put in a few orders with Spier & Mackay, but need a plain grey suit. For reference I'm at a stage where MJ Bale and SuSu are still good options for me, looking to spend 400-700 on a half canvassed Suit with ok fabric.

I imagine they will be much the same as the 3 I've mentioned above?

ovlov

Reaction score
So I once again gave up on the local options and decided to give P Johnson another try. I've had some difficulties with them in the past but the finished product has always been great, even though I have had more issues than I would have liked , their customer service has always been very good at fixing things up.

Met with Tom at the Adelaide trunk show last night. After a fair bit of discussion, I decided to go with the sensible choice of a dark grey VBC 4ply fresco (probably a more urgent hole to fill in my suit lineup than the chalk stripe affair I had been dreaming of); spruced up a little with some mop buttons and a wide notch lapel. I also decided to give one of their shirts a try as well since their price has come down a fair bit since last time I enquired ($195 now vs $300~ quoted a few years ago).

Once again the experience was very pleasant. I think IME there seems to be a big gap in quality or service and advice when you get to see Tom or Pat as opposed to any of the other fitters. Tom was very open about their changes since my last order. Althouh their pricing can appear somewhat confusing, and I did end up spending a fair bit more than planned, It's nice that their prices have actually gone down with their restructure and expansion.

Now I just need to wait and see how the finished product turns out! Honestly I don't understand how you regulars can keep lurking these boards and still keep putting food on the table for your family. I had to step away to avoid temptation. back 3 weeks and already I've picked up a suit, shirt, new briefcase and a few other bits and pieces :(

TS2404

Reaction score
Anyone tried the reborn Rhodes and Beckett?

I've put in a few orders with Spier & Mackay, but need a plain grey suit. For reference I'm at a stage where MJ Bale and SuSu are still good options for me, looking to spend 400-700 on a half canvassed Suit with ok fabric.

I imagine they will be much the same as the 3 I've mentioned above?

R&B currently have a 60% off online sale. However, many people are still waiting for orders placed during a July sale to be fulfilled so approach with caution.

IMHO, at that heavily discounted price I think R&B suits are good value but wouldn’t buy at full price or with a lesser discount. I prefer SuSu but you’ll pay a couple hundred more than the R&B sale price.

ovlov

Reaction score
Where will the PJ suit be made?

I went with Pronto, which is made in the Shanghai line. There is about a $500 markup on the Carrera. The range of cloths available on both lines is pretty much the same except for some of the higher end houses (Minnis Fresco for example was apparently not available due to problems with import duties). I would have liked to give the Carrera line a go but once we got into the cloth choices prices started to get a bit prohibitive for me. I just started my own legal practice recently and so finances are a little tight and I need to quickly expand my business wardrobe as I am now seeing clients 6 days a week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads