• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem to be in the loop: any idea what’s to become of the hourglass store once they cross the road?

Attributable to a strange fascination with the commercial property pages!

Hourglass has already moved, no idea who will move in. No sign of a refurb, which isn't great news for the landlord I imagine.

Article 26

Reaction score
Attributable to a strange fascination with the commercial property pages!

Hourglass has already moved, no idea who will move in. No sign of a refurb, which isn't great news for the landlord I imagine.
Ah, that might explain why I can’t reach them on the phone today. Rings out as extension not available. Seems unlikely they have changed number...

Thanks

Styleternity

Reaction score
I've heard that 100% linen really isn't great for office wear. Any comments?

Self-serious classic menswear types always decree "linen?! never in the office!"; but in all seriousness, what are the chances of anyone in an Australian office noticing if you're wearing a navy linen suit?

Your colleagues - I'd wager - are doubly likely not to give a toss if you're also reasonably good at your job.

My money is on navy Irish linen. Solbiati has a few good bunches IIRC.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked a tailor who does most of his business in tropical weather countries and the surprising answer was "try a synthetic blend, up to 20%" (on top of the usual tropical wool, linen blend, cotton recommendations). He also thought linen had a mistaken reputation as a cool fabric but actually held on to humidity and heat more than tropical wool. Independently of that, I had been steered the synthetic blend way when I worked in India and got a suit made in Mumbai (whose climate is also hot and humid).

Maybe there is something to it but I would rather be hot than electrified. Personally I now stick to cotton chinos and avoid the jacket. If the occasion warrants jacket and tie I stay in A/C throughout, taking an Uber there and back. To be fair 31 Celsius at 0% humidity is a different animal to 28-35 Celsius at 100% humidity, where nothing evaporates.

alanm

Reaction score
Hi all - i know this will probably be a wide ranging question but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I've received a Ring Jacket suit in the mail which seems to be exactly what I'm after in terms of sizing (sight unseen on Rakuten was an exciting gamble).

As it's new with unfinished sleeves and pants I need to get the buttons attached, sleeves adjusted and pants cuffed and am in Melbourne. Sams Alterations (Melbourne) quoted $150 - does that sound about right or high / low? I don't really have a basis for comparison as the last few suits were PJ MTM a few years ago (before mortgage and kids made that a bit of an extravagance).

Appreciate any guidance you can offer!

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonder how many of the people recommending linen here actually have stuff made in linen.

I have actually drunk the linen kool aid - both light- and heavyweight Irish linen, and have come to the conclusion that linen is not a practical fabric for modern suiting. It's the fabric equivalent of a fixie bike (single speed) - charming, but completely impractical.

No one except iGents and people who haven't actually purchased any suits in (heavy) linen recommend (heavy) linen.

Linen is only cool wearing when it is lightweight and loosely woven. Lightweight and loosely woven linen bags - the elbows, knees, and crotch will will slowly stretch out. Lightweight linen creases - and does so very noticeably and unattractively.

Heavy linen "rumples" - like cordovan does vs regular leather - as opposed to creasing. You could even say this rumpling is charming. But in the heat it will cook you alive - it does not breath, all it does is wick moisture from you. In other words, it absorbs your sweat. Which is not a great thing for a suit to do - especially one in medium-heavy rotation. I am not aware of a loosely woven "fresco" type linen weave in a heavier weight.

Cotton will wear out (quick) and is not worth the premium unless you have cash to spare, or a huge suit rotation.

If you want to stay cool in summer while wearing a suit get a mohair/wool fabric in a lightweight + open weave. Wear a linen shirt by all means.

My 0.02

updog

Reaction score
- I don't own any 100% linen jackets or trousers, so I can't comment on them.
- I really like fresco, 250-280g, from the II and III books.
- The open weave provides great airflow.
- Drapes much better than my tropical worsteds.
- Wears cooler than my cottons.
- I wear it all year round in SYD.
- Have survived HKG and MNL (end of wet season only, never in the thick of it).
- Quarter lining and light weight canvas is key.

melbournites

Reaction score
Recently made a wool/mohair combo quarter lined and it is especially good with holding shape and so far holding up to warm days. Humidity is what kills suit wearing imo.

A linen mixed with wool and silk is another nice option.

100% linen looks great in the first wear and after 10 wears.

Check out Dylan and sons instagram. Singaporean tailor with lots of warm weather ideas.

Arnaud_bhd

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m new here and just want to let you know that I’m selling a almost new pair of Common Projects Achille Low Grey Gummy in size 6UK - 40EU, ordered at endclothing.
Worn 3 times, they are too small for me.
I have a pair of Achille retro size 7UK (which are a biit too large) and I didn’t know that the sizing is different, so I just ordered the Achille low in 6 which was a mistake because now I can’t wear them without getting blisters...
So it’s a pain to sell them but if somebody else can get happy with them I’ll be glad .
For information my normal sizing is 42,5 with Nike, 8UK with Carmina and 7UK with the Achille low.
The price is 400AUD and I’m in Sydney so let me know if you’re interested.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digitalsanjay