• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
IMG_2275.JPG
Had little to do today, decided I need to let go of the boy and embrace the man. The clean-out commenced. Not one of them has been worn in 2-3 years at least. Earlier in the year I had a similar clean-out of 12 or 13 pairs, somehow these survived. Shame on me.

The last remnants of a fad I went through - fashion.

Tobylav

Reaction score
Where would you guys recommend to buy a dinner suit / tux? Looking to spend under $2k, hopefully. I'm also in a peculiar size bracket - 58/60L or maybe 60 reg with necessary tapering. Preferably in Perth. Need it for mid july, so getting one commissioned in time is unlikely..

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Where would you guys recommend to buy a dinner suit / tux? Looking to spend under $2k, hopefully. I'm also in a peculiar size bracket - 58/60L or maybe 60 reg with necessary tapering. Preferably in Perth. Need it for mid july, so getting one commissioned in time is unlikely..
I'd say 6 weeks is probably enough time to commission a MTM suit. Do a little research on the style you'd like before going to visit a tailor/retail premise. However, an alternative would be a site like MR Porter, I believe they offer free return service and the site may offer a reasonable selection of styles and cuts. Should a mistake be made, choose another. It would certainly give you time to sort out alterations.
As for the Perth market place, I have no experience there.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could also investigate SuitSupply. Their online store recently reduced its Australian pricing to parity with the US - i.e. cheap as - and shipping is free for purchases over a certain amount, I think $600. Not only that, but there's a free return service if there's a problem. Shipping is super-fast, so if you did find something you liked online and got onto it straight away, you could even do a return/swap (for a poor fit) within the six week time frame.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Parisi dinner suit from MJ bale on sale for $450. not bad.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious, what fragrances are you chaps wearing?

My currently preferred are: Royal Oud by Creed; Sartorial by Penhaligons; Absinth by Nasomatto. Well for the darker months anyway. Though, I confess to liking the Comme des Garcons fragrances, too.
However, Floris and Penhaligons have summer wonderfully covered.

I have stacks of fragrances, so I tend to rotate a lot, but like certain styles for this time of year. Right now, I'm really liking leather, woodsy stuff and balsamic scents. Tom of Finland, Black Afgano, Noir Epices, and Macassar are ones I've been enjoying.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
I have stacks of fragrances, so I tend to rotate a lot, but like certain styles for this time of year. Right now, I'm really liking leather, woodsy stuff and balsamic scents. Tom of Finland, Black Afgano, Noir Epices, and Macassar are ones I've been enjoying.
Tom of Finland fragrance!? Actual LOL, that's not how I know the brand.

aussiejake

Reaction score
UK 7.5/US 8.5 Australian friends - I have some odds and ends that I'm looking to move on. Would prefer Australian buyers. Please see the below list and contact me for photos and details.

1. Vass Longwing High Boots (near new) - 40.5G - AUD 800
  2. John Lobb Chigwell in black calf (near new) - UK 7.5E - AUD 800
  3. C&J for Ralph Lauren Tassel Loafers in brown shell cordovan - 8.5US - AUD 600
  4. Carmina Norwegian Split Toe in brown suede (new) - UK 7.5 - AUD 350
  5. Carmina Captoe Boots in black shell cordovan (perfect renovation job) - AUD 250
  6. Loake Pimlico in dark brown suede - 7.5UK - AUD 180
  7. Loake 1880 Aldwych in black calf - 7.5UK - AUD 200
  8. Clarks Desert Boots in brown (near new) - AUD 50

Assorted Robert Geller, Opening Ceremony, Kenzo etc. jumpers and jackets - size small - AUD 80-150
Knomo Lincoln briefcase - AUD 80

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Ah, I was under the impression you could create a link to an item for sale.
Well, if it's that simple:

Gucci b&w plaid slim-line suit Size 48R, unaltered & new condition.
Impulse purchase a year ago, a mistake.
Contact me for details, if interested, will accept a reasonable offer around $1000.
Dust bag and hanger are included.
Take advantage of my haste. IMG_2299.JPG

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone stop by the MJ Bale warehouse sale I mentioned? What'd you get? :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads