• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
So, sauntering to the train station to said catch up venue, got caught in downpour.
Queue rendition of "Singing in the rain" but with expletives.

Umbrella supply could not meet rain demand.
End result = your favourite wet animal internet meme.

Sorry guys but I'm going home to dry out.

Enjoy the night and I do hope to meet you in person at the next one...

ryanohare

Reaction score
Spent the last 2 days in Townsville, and now seems like I'l be spending a lot more time here for business trips.

Feel like I need a 'Townsville wardrobe'.

acinod

Reaction score
Where's a good place to get a horsehair shoe brush and cloth in Melbourne?

Oddly enough I've lost mine...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

So, sauntering to the train station to said catch up venue, got caught in downpour.  
Queue rendition of "Singing in the rain" but with expletives.

Umbrella supply could not meet rain demand.  
End result = your favourite wet animal internet meme.

Sorry guys but I'm going home to dry out.

Enjoy the night and I do hope to meet you in person at the next one...

Ah, was wondering what you got up to.

Successful meetup complete :)

Had a great varied convo with Nabil and Sackie and tried to keep up. Nice food, drinks, and views. Let's do it again sometime!

aza281

Reaction score
Hello. First post in this thread. Back in Oz after a few years in london. I have bought a couple of pairs of shoes since returning that will need sunken metal toe taps. I'm hard on my toes. Are there any decent cobblers in Brisbane that can do this?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. First post in this thread. Back in Oz after a few years in london. I have bought a couple of pairs of shoes since returning that will need sunken metal toe taps. I'm hard on my toes. Are there any decent cobblers in Brisbane that can do this?

The short answer - no.

I believe that there's one cobbler in Sydney and perhaps Double Monk in Melbourne might also fit sunken toe taps.

However, the real question is why, apart from aesthetic appeal, do you want sunken toe taps? The regular toe taps work just as well as sunken toe taps, are cheaper and easier to install, can be easily replaced if necessary, and can be fitted by pretty much any cobbler.

So, while I understand that sunken, or flush, toe taps look much nicer, I can't see that you're getting any practical advantage over the regular toe taps.

aza281

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Journeyman. Hmmm OK - thanks for clarifying that.

It's my personal preference to have sunken toe taps.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased my first pair of shoes with flush-fitted toe caps (is this actually the correct term?).

What immediately struck me about them is how often I hit them against the ground while walking. Nearly every step in fact.

The metal cap slides along the ground instead of gripping it (as a leather sole would), inducing an odd sense of instability, as if I'm constantly about to lose my balance. It feels like I'm walking on sheet ice.

Very odd sensation which takes some getting used to.

I imagine that nailed-on caps would be worse still.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great meet-up last night gents. Also an interesting contrast of styles - Nabil in impeccable conservative business dress with subtle, easily-missed #menswear details like spalla camicia shoulders and a slubby repp tie; Master-Classter opting for a dialled-back, funky-casual SW&D vibe featuring shades of grey and black; and myself taking the middle ground with a Pitti-summer-edition combo.

We also managed to discuss religion for at least thirty minutes without coming to blows. Very civilised!

I'd like to see broader participation next time. Plenty of Sydney regulars on this thread - some of whom I've already met in person on other occasions.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hold the phone!

You guys actually talk about menswear at your meet ups?

Ours descend into chaos and debauchery by about 20 minutes in, with the occasional impromptu boxing match between two members thrown in for good measure.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I reneged on my previous renege, and with 20 minutes until the end of the summer sale, I pulled the trigger on a Canali suit they had marked down from $2.5K to less than a grand.

It's very non SF... powder blue and slightly shiny, due to the presence of 10% mohair.

I'm looking forward to the howls of disapproval when I post it on WAYWRN in a few weeks. (They have an alterations backlog.)

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I reneged on my previous renege, and with 20 minutes until the end of the summer sale, I pulled the trigger on a Canali suit they had marked down from $2.5K to less than a grand.

It's very non SF... powder blue and slightly shiny, due to the presence of 10% mohair.

I'm looking forward to the howls of disapproval when I post it on WAYWRN in a few weeks. (They have an alterations backlog.)

Tonic suits are great or is it more like a sharkskin?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads