• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't buy an evaporative cooler if some salesman tries to flog you one, it's too humid in Sydney for them to work.

If you're only trying to cool at night then windows open and fans help (as an example, my a/c is only in the lounge room so that's what I'm doing tonight in the bedrooms and I'm very comfortable, but we've had that cool southerly come late afternoon to help) but you'll still have some uncomfortable nights, during the day that would make things worse, need an air conditioner.

Go look at Harvey Norman, Bing Lee and Good Guys, then buy what you like from Appliances Online for less cost and free delivery.

There's also a Harvey Normal clearance store in Alexandria. Could be worth your time. Comes with their warranty, too.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've had some really bad experiences in Singapore, many shirts ruined. Care to share the contact details for that seamstress? I need to take in a few jackets and shirts, my tailor won't do it (not his work in the first place, so fair enough) and I don't want to risk more ruined clothing.

+1

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Melbourne-based MTM suiting game has grown markedly over the past few years. I'm in the market for a few new suits. What are everyone's recommendations?

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Melbourne-based MTM suiting game has grown markedly over the past few years. I'm in the market for a few new suits. What are everyone's recommendations?

I'm commissioning a suit through Steve Calder at the moment. The finished garment was 85% there with some further alterations needed on the trousers. The process is trickier than normal for me because I'm not based in Melbourne.

Trunk Tailors also look good from what I've seen on their social media feed.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can now +1 to Rekaris.

Happy with the work, price, turn around time and the owner is a good bloke, could chat shoes all day if he wasn't so busy.

alessandromo

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with soller and Simpson carmina lasts? I'm an 8uk in the soller boot, 8.5 uetam trying to work out best size for chelseas?

Cheers (yes already asked in sizing thread no love)

Yes I bought a pair from the Armoury a few years. The last was pretty narrow, great quality but keep width in mind...

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got here a few weeks ago but basically only found a place a few days ago and am settling in now. Will shoot you a PM to discuss, thanks.
Ah good to know. I was looking up that evaporative cooler on the Target site and it seemed promising (mixed reviews though). Will skip it.

I looked at some free standing ac's at Harvey Norman today and they're $800-1300 and those are the cheapest. The more powerful ones or wall mounted ones are more $ and require me to get the landlord involved so I can't do that. I'll check the other two sources, thanks!

Just went through a similar process at my Melbourne yard. Can't get aircon in the bedroom as a pesky curtain pelmet means there's really no way to run the air hose to the outside. Plus the installation expense would be horrendous. Sure, you can pick up a reverse-cycle unit from Bunnings for under $1K, but then there's the installation cost, which would be frightening. And that's just for one room.

Instead I've purchased four ceiling fans - two with DC motors (the quietest, with six speeds instead of three) for the bedrooms, and two with AC (much wider range of designs to choose from) for the lounge/dining area. All four fans come with LED lights (which are very energy-efficient) and remotes.

Installation (which must be done by a licensed electrician) will run to another few hundred.

Open a window and run the fan on its lowest speed, just to move the air lightly over your skin. Deep, refreshing slumber ensues.

Of course, Melbourne is less humid than Sydney, with far fewer steamy nights in summer. But Shanghai, where I used to live, is much worse again. I remember one three-week stretch when the temp never dropped below 29 degrees. We had the air-con roaring away around the clock. Thermostat set to 26 and it never tripped the system off.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, Sydney natives bemoan the cold Melbourne nights. I've heard one denizen opine that the ideal overnight temp is mid-20s so you can lie naked on top of the bedsheets in complete comfort.

This, of course, is a crock. The temperature band for comfortable nudity is very narrow and likely to be breached in both directions during the course of one night. Whereas in a cold room, under blankets and/or doonas, in-bed temperature can be very easily adjusted just by moving one's bedclothes around a little, which you learn to do in your sleep.

Matters become more complex when one shares one's bed. Wifey seems to prefer an ambient temperature at least ten degrees higher than mine. I'll be lying there with just a sheet over me, sweating profusely, while she is cocooned in a doona and several blankets and still complaining she's cold.

Women are weird.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Matters become more complex when one shares one's bed. Wifey seems to prefer an ambient temperature at least ten degrees higher than mine. I'll be lying there with just a sheet over me, sweating profusely, while she is cocooned in a doona and several blankets and still complaining she's cold.

Women are weird.

Let's just say this is going to become a whole lot more contentious when she ages a bit more.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First place in ages I haven't air con or fan in the bedroom, these warm stale Melbourne nights in recent weeks have been a killer. Can sleep in any heat and under a Donna as long as there's some air flow

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads