• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chaps, what ties with this? Have always loved the simplicity of the pattern but apart from solids and grenadines struggle to match things.

Depends how dark/defined the lines are.

If dark and well defined it becomes to a large extent a "country" shirt to wear with a tweed sport coat and wool knit tie - or similar - like a Tattersall.

If a faint line that is indistinguishable unless up close then its just like any other shirt depending on the ground colour.

Highlands

Reaction score
This is from the Market St store or online?

Correct, Market St store.

I went with one of the TM lewin umbrellas and just in time too, started raining on day back from store. They are indeed made by Fox, but I suspect by fox's shenzhen division... Better quality then a chemist umbrella but probably not amazingly so.

You're probably right, the majority likely to be made outside of England. Can't expect everything to be made in England for $70, however the umbrella has been pretty solid to date.

As much as I'd like to try the real deal $350 jobs, the chance of it getting pilfered at a restaurant/bar is likely to be high.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any tips for getting a pen mark off a tie?

Depends. What is it - biro, felt tip or ink?

In order of ease and non destructive outcomes

1. Wear it and pretend the mark just happened an hour ago
  2. Get biro and draw stick figure or carton in same colour - when people look say "Ahh kids"
  3. Texta in that stripe same colour as rest of tie
  4. Throw tie away
  5. Go to dry cleaner and ask them to SPOT CLEAN ONLY and DO NOT IRON TIE
  6. Go to dry cleaner and ask then to clean whole tie and DO NOT IRON TIE
  7. Get some dry cleaning fluid and cotton bud and get spot stain off yourself.
  8. Make paste of Napisan/Oxy clean and rub gently into stain leave for a few hours. Rinse WHOLE TIE in bath of warm water by gently swishing back and forth making sure ALL the tie is equally wet. Wrap tie gently in folded towel to dry. Do not wring out.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
doh. I realised I just completely worn down the pants of my charcoal suit.

where can I get a good for value off the rack half canvas suit in HK and how am I going to use my orphaned jackrt. Its such a waste to chuck out a full canvassed hand sewn suit. Its super 120 plain dark charcoal with peak lapels and roped shoulders.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
doh. I realised I just completely worn down the pants of my charcoal suit.

where can I get a good for value off the rack half canvas suit in HK and how am I going to use my orphaned jackrt. Its such a waste to chuck out a full canvassed hand sewn suit. Its super 120 plain dark charcoal with peak lapels and roped shoulders.

Do you mean that the trousers have worn out in the "fork" (ie the crotch, where the legs meet)?

If so, you can often have them repaired by finding similar fabric and having two "v" shaped sections inserted where the original fabric has worn away. Given that you're in HK, with a huge amount of tailors, you should hopefully be able to find some very similar fabric somewhere!

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you mean that the trousers have worn out in the "fork" (ie the crotch, where the legs meet)?

If so, you can often have them repaired by finding similar fabric and having two "v" shaped sections inserted where the original fabric has worn away. Given that you're in HK, with a huge amount of tailors, you should hopefully be able to find some very similar fabric somewhere!

yeah the crotch area. already patched one side at home. now the other side is gone.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah the crotch area. already patched one side at home. now the other side is gone.

Really, as long as you can find fabric that matches pretty well, you should be able to have them repaired and to keep on repairing them a few more times. Given the location of the fabric patches, it doesn't even have to be an absolutely precise match, particularly as the fabric is dark.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
blahman
As JM has said - its a very common operation inserting the 2 x Vs.

It doesn't have to be a perfect match of material either.

You just might be lucky enough to have enough excess material under your cuff opening to do it anyway. If you have cuffed your trousers you will have enough material by de cuffing.

You shouldn't be letting it go until you have blown it out - get repairs before it gets that far - its like getting a huge hole going right through your shoe sole before you get a repair.

Also work out why it is happening - Is it because you are an Olympic weightlifter with huge thighs?

Get a tailor to sew a proper Crutch Saddle inside all your trousers if its a likleyhood it will occur again. This will generally be Bemberg and it will protect your trousers by providing another loose layer and also be slippery so things won't catch and wear as much.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wahoo! Just had a grovelling Aus Post courrier begging forgives and expressing a thousand pardons on my doorstep branding my parcel. Win!:slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads