• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Markodevil

Reaction score
What's the consensus around made to measure suiting options around Melbourne?
I have been informed of places to avoid, but I am curious about your positive experiences and recommendations

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Brisbane doesn't seem to have decent shoes except for RMs. where do I find good shoes (oxfords) that I can try on without going to Sydney or Melbourne?
I seem to recall there are, or at least were, some okay dress shoes at the Anthony Squires concession in DJs.

Otherwise, maybe Mitchell Ogilvie?

Are there particular brands you’re interested in? Mr Porter and Matches Fashion have some Edward Green, Cleverley, Lobb etc as, with free return shipping.

While I think of it, if you’re looking for something at a better price, Schneider & Co in Sydney have some Carmina. The return policy on their website is vague, though, so I’d check if they’ll refund rather than just exchange.

Timmers

Reaction score
I have been informed of places to avoid, but I am curious about your positive experiences and recommendations
Quite a few options. These are some of the bigger firms:
  • InStitchu is likely the cheapest (price and quality wise). I have lots of personal experience there and was able to nail my fit with trial and error, but I am not sure I'd suggest it to others. It greatly depends on the fitter you are booked with. Fabric selection is lacking (essentially zero English mills, which is a huge issue if you prefer heavier cloth).
  • Oscar Hunt has a better rep but the quality is very close to InStitchu. It is very likely they use the same factory, or similiar. Biggest difference is that they seem to have better trained staff and offer better finishing by default ('milanese' lapel buttonhole, functional sleeve buttonholes, etc). OH also have a solid fabric selection (Dugdale is of course great). I accompanied a friend to his consult/fitting and was overall impressed.
  • P Johnson doesn't seem to have the best reputation when it comes to their MTM work, but that is likely due to poor fitters. If I recall, the quality is good. I have only visited the stores, so no input on the MTM program other than the bad experiences I've read about and the garments I've handled.
For smaller places, The Revere looks good. Tomba looks interesting too. Both are new, but run by experienced MTM guys. There are definitely more but these came to mind. Oscar Hunt seems to be a good start.

All of these places use decently slim 'Italian-style' block patterns. If you want fuller cut, it'll be harder to execute effectively.

RGLZ

Reaction score
American Tailors. Tony & Sebastian have been doing this for probably 40 years, you are in safe, knowledgeable, experienced hands.

Jimba

Reaction score
I seem to recall there are, or at least were, some okay dress shoes at the Anthony Squires concession in DJs.

Otherwise, maybe Mitchell Ogilvie?

Are there particular brands you’re interested in? Mr Porter and Matches Fashion have some Edward Green, Cleverley, Lobb etc as, with free return shipping.

While I think of it, if you’re looking for something at a better price, Schneider & Co in Sydney have some Carmina. The return policy on their website is vague, though, so I’d check if they’ll refund rather than just exchange.
I have checked out DJs and while they had loakes they didn't have any of the made in the UK range, which from my research and what I have read is the only worth it from loakes.
I have tried Mitchael Olgive and tried on some lovely suede oxfords from carvali (I think that is how its spelled?) which I thought was very nice but the leather sole wasn't great for my weird gait. :(

Shoe shopping is not easy.

eightace

Reaction score
A bit of Meccariello Magic™ the other day:

PXL_20240107_005505291-EDIT.jpg

PXL_20240107_005243181.jpg

PXL_20240107_024914324.jpg

These are my first from AM, but definitely not my last. They turned exactly as I had envisioned, so I couldn't be happier.

I've been wearing them around the house to break them in a bit, they'll get their first proper outing in the coming days.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of Meccariello Magic™ the other day:

View attachment 2120155

View attachment 2120169

View attachment 2120175

These are my first from AM, but definitely not my last. They turned exactly as I had envisioned, so I couldn't be happier.

I've been wearing them around the house to break them in a bit, they'll get their first proper outing in the coming days.
Had a terrible experience with AM - not at the hands of AM - rather of fit. But gorgeous shoes.
684A59BD-2989-4485-A502-B68AC7881582.jpeg
904EDB77-3BC3-44CF-9E9A-0F06344CC738.jpeg
DE2D7A60-2FFA-48F5-A80E-9674886F59E8.jpeg

Really should revisit AM.

Jimba

Reaction score
Finally got myself a pair of RM Williams comfort craftman (in Black), now to check out this thread and the wider forum for styling inspo.

I have seen red wing boots which look interesting, for those who have used them which models are the ones to look for and are they worth the money?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red Wings are definitely a love or hate proposition IMO.

I tried a couple of pairs and they didn’t quite work for my feet and also weigh a ton.

I ended up getting a pair broadly similar to the Red Wing Iron Ranger from RM Williams, which I love.

if you’re in Melbourne, there’s a Red Wing shop on Burnley St in Richmond.

And Urahara in Collingwood get White’s which are similar albeit they seem to be completely out of stock right now.

sjm77

Reaction score
Hi all. Just sharing this post for some shoes I am selling in case anyone local is interested. I'm based on the Sunshine Coast.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need an alterations tailor in Melbourne who will do sleeve buttonholes for a suit. I seem to recall Mila at Magic does? Anyone else?

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need an alterations tailor in Melbourne who will do sleeve buttonholes for a suit. I seem to recall Mila at Magic does? Anyone else?
M&E Anton Maurakh on Bourke St. He/They do a lot of my alterations, from basic trews to BC leathers. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads