• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DL5392

Reaction score
Yes, I bought a pair of the REMY loafers. They are more structured than the Summer Walks I think (haven't tried them personally). Mine are uncomfortable in the heels, could be a sizing issue. 42 felt too big. 41 felt pretty good in the shop but uncomfortable walking down the street, get blisters very quickly. Maybe needs more break in, I dunno.
Sounds like the loafer isn’t lined?
Is your feet standard width or on the wider side?
What’s your overall thoughts on the REMY loafers - recommended? Or any other alternatives you tried etc

sensuki

Reaction score
The REMY loafers are lined, and they probably have some plastic interfacing in between the lining and the exterior (which is possibly part of the problem). I have duck shaped feet - narrower heels (bony too) but standard width.

Well for me they need to be comfortable, every time I've worn them I've gotten really bad blisters, so I'm hesitant to keep trying. That's just my experience, I often have trouble with my heels.

Whereas I love my Baudoin & Lange unlined loafers. Wear them a lot in summer. I *think* the actual Loro Piana summerwalks might be unlined, or at least more flexible than the REMYs.

Contango

Reaction score
Hey chaps, I‘m Nick and have recently moved to Sydney from London. I’m loving it here but my goodness the affordable tailoring options are limited! So much so I just ordered a new suit and a couple of trou from Spier & Mackay… however, I now need a good tailor to make a few adjustments to the jacket and trousers.

Any recommendations for a good but reasonably priced tailor?I’m living in Manly so anything local would be perfect but if not somewhere from Circular Quay up to Martin Place / Wynyard would ok too.
Maher from M & R Tailors on York St.

Buttons and Bows in Hunter Arcade are now gone thanks to the new Metro.

Contango

Reaction score
Where does one find good quality suits in Australia, specifically Adelaide? I don't think the quality of common "major" retailers justify their price (e.g., MJ Bale). Do I just go full out and get a tailor for everything? I would love to get a few Tom Ford suits (on discount, as I am not that rich, and with our dollar in the gutter it's only getting worse), but I can't find much availability even if I was to travel to Melb/Sydney.
Fly to Syd, go to PJohnson, SuitSupply or Luxius. Sure, you’d need to make two or three trips, but just make a note of several other cloths you like so you can order without making a trip in future (especially SuitSupply, they can load your final size profile after alternations on to the website).

I’ll even buy you a beer or glass of red to make it worthwhile, gotta support our fellow StyleForumers be better dressed.

ovlov

Reaction score
Thanks, I will check it out. I didn't realise it was a proper boutique there.

What other places in Melbourne would you recommend for other than TF stuff? I'm also looking to expand my business casual wardrobe, so would appreciate any suggestions.

Finally, what's the current consensus on dress shirts? Is it still a better (and oftentimes cheaper) idea to just buy online from the likes of Eton rather than searching locally, even if it is MTM? Tailors I've experienced so far have not inspired much confidence.
Not many options in Adelaide for good suits or shirts. I've tried most of the MTM operations for shirts and found them to be disappointing. Oscar Hunt are probably the best you'll find here. Lately I've been getting most of my shirts from a couple of the vietnamese tailors around Woodville. The fit and price a great but they use pretty cheap materials. If you want something nice made up you'll have to BYO materials.

If your tastes run to TF for suits then you are **** outta luck in Adelaide. Again Hunt and the Viets are about the best you'll find here and they are obviously way below TF standards.

SKS

Reaction score
from a couple of the vietnamese tailors around Woodville

Contacts / pricing / more details?.. PM if you don't want to post publicly.

SKS

Reaction score
If your tastes run to TF for suits then you are **** outta luck in Adelaide.

Many years ago DiFabio brothers (and then Ricardo alone) were/was the place to go. Nowadays, I really don't know whom to recommend.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn! The RL flagship in Shibuya, Tokyo is 🔥🔥🔥 Freakin amazing! Will visit again once we’re back from Kyoto next week!
The RL concessions in the department stores in Kyoto are interesting and there was a Brooks Brothers store in Kyoto. Have you visited Brycelands?

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My beau was just accepted to the PhD program for Law…. Screaming from the rafters! Could not be more proud.
The tedium has not escaped me, BTW.

Contango

Reaction score
I ended up going to see Maher after all the good reviews on Google! He seemed like a lovely guy and looking forward to seeing the results of the alterations next week!
Excellent, I’ve been using him for years for basic to more complicated work, he’s the only one I would trust for anything more than hemming trousers or sewing on buttons. He’s also a lovely chap.

Esplanade

Reaction score
Fly to Syd, go to PJohnson, SuitSupply or Luxius. Sure, you’d need to make two or three trips, but just make a note of several other cloths you like so you can order without making a trip in future (especially SuitSupply, they can load your final size profile after alternations on to the website).

I’ll even buy you a beer or glass of red to make it worthwhile, gotta support our fellow StyleForumers be better dressed.
Haha, thank you for the offer. I actually am flying to Sydney next week for an unrelated personal matter, so I will add this to my agenda. I'll only be there for a day so time is limited, will need to carefully map out my route.

Not many options in Adelaide for good suits or shirts. I've tried most of the MTM operations for shirts and found them to be disappointing. Oscar Hunt are probably the best you'll find here. Lately I've been getting most of my shirts from a couple of the vietnamese tailors around Woodville. The fit and price a great but they use pretty cheap materials. If you want something nice made up you'll have to BYO materials.

If your tastes run to TF for suits then you are **** outta luck in Adelaide. Again Hunt and the Viets are about the best you'll find here and they are obviously way below TF standards.
Someone in this thread was recommending Joseph Uzumcu, have you had any experience with his store? I've also heard good things about Tailors of Distinction on Unley Rd, but again, haven't got around to trying them (I need to get my new pair of pants tailored, so might take it there and check out their other offerings).

ovlov

Reaction score
Contacts / pricing / more details?.. PM if you don't want to post publicly.
Tanh Tailoring at the intersection of Hanson and Torrens Road. Charged me about $150 for a shirt recently with a decent quality cotton. I also got him to make me a Suit about 6ish years ago. I won't mention the price as it would have obviously increased by now but it was the best fitting suit I've had done in Adelaide and worked out cheaper than what PJ and OH were charging at the time. Finishing wasn't great and I had to provide my own buttons. Also the only options were what he had in stock or could order through Holland and Sherry. There was another member lurking around here a few years ago who had commissioned quite a few jackets and suits here I think, but I cant recall his name.

There is also a fabric shop at 50 Hanson Road. The guy there does a decent job with shirts and is a really cheap. But he only has really cheap material on hand (I think i paid about $20 for materials for each shirt).
Someone in this thread was recommending Joseph Uzumcu, have you had any experience with his store? I've also heard good things about Tailors of Distinction on Unley Rd, but again, haven't got around to trying them (I need to get my new pair of pants tailored, so might take it there and check out their other offerings).
I used Uzumcu to kit out the groomsmen for my wedding several years back. For rentals they were the best of a poor lot of options. The suits I saw there for sale were pretty lack luster and their house brand of shoes and accessories were awful. This is going back a long way though. They may have improved since then. Joe himself is an affable guy if he is still around, and seems to know his stuff. TBF Uzumcu made my shortlist when i was hunting for a new mtm service to try out, but ultimately I just ended up waiting for PJ to visit.

Tailors of Distinction are another outfit i never used but looked into several years ago. At the time their prices were absurdly high for what was essentially MTM; and when I was looking, the posts on their website and social media was alternately full of super slim fits or middle aged men swimming in untailored suits 3-4 sizes too big for them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads