• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nolvadex

Reaction score
I remember Xile had some nice ties. Not sure if in the budget range though. Personally I went with Vanda for my groomsmen and the ties were fantastic. You could go with mj bale. Tm lewin if they are still around too.

eightace

Reaction score
Summer wedding outfit:

wedding (2).jpg

wedding (3).jpg

wedding (1).jpg
wedding (5).jpg

Shoes: Cheaney
Socks: Dore Dore
Trousers: wool/silk/linen from Saks
Shirt: from Kazuna, in something called Royal Caribbean Cotton, a beautiful fabric
Tie & PS: Shibumi
Jacket: from PJ, unstructured linen, ideal for summer

DL5392

Reaction score
Any good merino socks personal recommendations?
looking at Lindner socks for thicker merino socks for casual/boot wear and maybe Pantherella for thinner wool dress socks?

Anyone can point me to other brands that they felt was worth the $? Cheers

BananaKing

Reaction score
Any good merino socks personal recommendations?
looking at Lindner socks for thicker merino socks for casual/boot wear and maybe Pantherella for thinner wool dress socks?

Anyone can point me to other brands that they felt was worth the $? Cheers
spent awhile looking for merino socks.

Found Corgi to be good made in England mid thickness merino socks. Definitely thicker than dress socks. But not a hiking thick sock. Really seem like they’ll last. I do wash them all in a big bunch on wool cycle and they’re holding up well.

Found a stockist which had them on sale when I bought them.

Markodevil

Reaction score
I have a (semi) new pair of shoes I have been trying to break in, which has been a slow process. The main problem I have been having is with pinching in the vamp, they are in shoe trees whenever they are not being used, does anyone have any strategies to soften the leather? Or any other methods of getting these to a wearable state?

Attachments

• PXL_20230304_100131420.jpg
    PXL_20230304_100131420.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 362

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a (semi) new pair of shoes I have been trying to break in, which has been a slow process. The main problem I have been having is with pinching in the vamp, they are in shoe trees whenever they are not being used, does anyone have any strategies to soften the leather? Or any other methods of getting these to a wearable state?
Not a problem I’ve had; my experience is shoes move with your foot. New pair pinching is new to me. Not to say I have not had some awful fits, but vamp folds have not been the issue.
I’ve heard applying Vaseline works. Never practiced. Given origin of product I’d do a deep dive or consult a cordwainer.

Markodevil

Reaction score
For more information they are Loake Aldwych's in a size 9, I did not buy them online, I got them fitted in store.

This is the first pair of any shoe I have had that has creased this noticeably and quick, but this is also my first pair with a stiffer leather, so I was unsure of this is to be expected.

I have seen photos of other Loake shoes which are much older, and much less folded in the vamp, mine are less than 6 months old.

Hoping I can soften them somehow, definitely not in the position to drop that much on shoes again in the near future, but I got these because I was already needing a dress shoe.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the market for a new dinner suit. My old MJ Bale outlet special was a tight fit at the best of times, and it's time to officially retire it.

A possibility is having something made, although I've never been able to justify the expenditure. Particularly at this point in my life with most of my friends married, I just don't have a lot of black tie occasions. However, the ones that I do have are legal world events or similar, so a dark business suit won't really do.

My current line of thinking is to get a one-button peak lapel suit made with jetted pockets but without silk facings. The cloth would be likely a barathea-like weave in say wool-linen-silk, either black or a proper almost black midnight blue (ie, not navy). Trousers would be flat-front with side adjusters, no stripe.

It would have covered buttons in either self-fabric or perhaps even a dry silk, or possibly something decorative like smoked mother of pearl.

The idea is that it could be dressed up with a bowtie, cummerbund, Marcella shirt and a nice lapel flower (which I actually prefer not have against a silk facing, as it may stain) for proper formal occasions, or dressed down with a plain shirt or a knit for dinners out, the theatre etc.

I am inspired by some of the looks that places like Saman Amel are doing (https://samanamel.com/pages/evening-wear).

I'd be interested in your thoughts, particularly on whether the dressed-up iteration would pass muster.

Cheers,
TFP

RGLZ

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the market for a new dinner suit. My old MJ Bale outlet special was a tight fit at the best of times, and it's time to officially retire it.

A possibility is having something made, although I've never been able to justify the expenditure. Particularly at this point in my life with most of my friends married, I just don't have a lot of black tie occasions. However, the ones that I do have are legal world events or similar, so a dark business suit won't really do.

My current line of thinking is to get a one-button peak lapel suit made with jetted pockets but without silk facings. The cloth would be likely a barathea-like weave in say wool-linen-silk, either black or a proper almost black midnight blue (ie, not navy). Trousers would be flat-front with side adjusters, no stripe.

It would have covered buttons in either self-fabric or perhaps even a dry silk, or possibly something decorative like smoked mother of pearl.

The idea is that it could be dressed up with a bowtie, cummerbund, Marcella shirt and a nice lapel flower (which I actually prefer not have against a silk facing, as it may stain) for proper formal occasions, or dressed down with a plain shirt or a knit for dinners out, the theatre etc.

I am inspired by some of the looks that places like Saman Amel are doing (https://samanamel.com/pages/evening-wear).

I'd be interested in your thoughts, particularly on whether the dressed-up iteration would pass muster.

Cheers,
TFP
Corneliani Smoking Leader suit, in stock at Henry Bucks

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^$3000 is a lot for something I’ll hardly wear!

Btw, can someone recommend a tailor in the Melbourne conservative business dress that could do a same-day repair? I have a hole about the size of a nailhead in some trousers, which I want to wear tomorrow.

ryanohare

Reaction score
^^^$3000 is a lot for something I’ll hardly wear!

Btw, can someone recommend a tailor in the Melbourne conservative business dress that could do a same-day repair? I have a hole about the size of a nailhead in some trousers, which I want to wear tomorrow.

Go to Sam on Healey's Lane.

He's excellent.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Suit Supply outerwear? I'm looking for a new winter coat, and have settled on a peacoat design. Their's looks good. I was thinking Schott, but would prefer something I can try on here.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Suit Supply outerwear? I'm looking for a new winter coat, and have settled on a peacoat design. Their's looks good. I was thinking Schott, but would prefer something I can try on here.

Yeah I've got a few. It's what you'd expect from the price range (which admittedly has gone up remarkably in the last 1-2 years). I'd suggest reviewing the SuitSupply NYC thread on here in more detail.
I bought a couple of overcoats (from the outlet) over recent years and have been pretty happy with them. The stitching is a bit sloppy and came loose on the pockets after about a year, but nothing substantial.
The quality is commensurate with the price. It's not loro piana.
I buy from them cos the fit is proportional for me and their service is typically excellent.

AmayaTaiyou

Reaction score
Has anyone used Oscar Hunt recently? I commissioned some suits from them a few years ago and have since stopped buying MTM/bespoke suits during that time for a few reasons. Have recently hopped onboard the suiting train again and would like to get a few new commissions. Oscar Hunt used to be really nice garments for the price range (~$1500) a few years ago, and was just wondering if they are still worth it/up to standard or if there any other good MTM suit makers available in Sydney (other than P Johnson since I'm not the biggest fan of their house style).

RGLZ

Reaction score
Has anyone used Oscar Hunt recently? I commissioned some suits from them a few years ago and have since stopped buying MTM/bespoke suits during that time for a few reasons. Have recently hopped onboard the suiting train again and would like to get a few new commissions. Oscar Hunt used to be really nice garments for the price range (~$1500) a few years ago, and was just wondering if they are still worth it/up to standard or if there any other good MTM suit makers available in Sydney (other than P Johnson since I'm not the biggest fan of their house style).
Trunk in Sydney 23 - 26 March.

Otherwise you could try REMY, Casa Del Sarto MTM from Schneider & Co or bespoke from Rochefort

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230320_174454_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230320_174454_Instagram.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 307

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads