• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased my first ever cashmere sweater, from Alex Mill via Mr Porter (on sale).

Long story short, it has been pilling a lot. I have had it for about a month and I am finding myself needing to comb it after every wear. It pills if I wear it under a jacket, or by itself. At home or going out.

I know that this is to be expected for a new garment to some extent, but it seems excessive. It might be a defective garment as it is described as having been ‘pre-washed for softness’ and apparently some factories wash too hot which impacts quality.

Can anyone comment here on what is normal and what’s not?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not asking anyone to swear an affidavit, just to comment on their experiences.

If this is a subpar garment, I'm keen to work that out now and return it...

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not asking anyone to swear an affidavit, just to comment on their experiences.

If this is a subpar garment, I'm keen to work that out now and return it...
Cashmere Hierarchy Thread would be best place to take this. I have an idea, but my experiences are at a different price point.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just a joke.

In that case, consider me amused! :)

Cashmere Hierarchy Thread would be best place to take this. I have an idea, but my experiences are at a different price point.

Thanks. I found that one and posted there too. For my part, it's an RRP ~$600 garment, albeit purchased on sale - it's not Cucinelli but nor is it Uniqlo. I'm not expecting that I'll be passing it onto the next generation, but if I'm already worrying about it after 5 weeks, that is not promising...

mattah

Reaction score
Danny's shoe repairs in claremont or bodkins Bootery in fremantle

Thanks all. I did get a half sole done at Bodkin's a couple of years ago. I might go pay Rob a visit again but will look up the others also.

Last edited:

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case, consider me amused! :)

Thanks. I found that one and posted there too. For my part, it's an RRP ~$600 garment, albeit purchased on sale - it's not Cucinelli but nor is it Uniqlo. I'm not expecting that I'll be passing it onto the next generation, but if I'm already worrying about it after 5 weeks, that is not promising...
Pulled out a cashmere draw, rather mixed bunch as it turned out. From Theory to BC, interestingly RLPL is a star and a shame. The RJPL cable is one of the worst pilers I own. yet, the roll neck of some 20 years is flawless. Theory is rubbish, no redemption. Cream Polo RL (15 years old, I think) holds up far better than contemporary Polo. Medium blue sweater by Brioni, not a piler, but the worst fluff bucket of the lot. Navy sweater by Rubinacci holds up rather well, little piling and a little fluffy. BC sweaters, not sure how old these 2 are, but only the most minor piling under he arms, similar story across BC. Last but by no means least, Dior hooded sweater of which i wear near daily while walking, near zero piling in stress points. An actual stand out.
477169FE-DD3E-4904-9B27-023BDD4DD225.jpeg
9DD76D9A-3A67-4FB2-8CF0-DA26E7BDB7CF.jpeg
D99437CF-8A04-4FA9-A982-D1D9875A8F77.jpeg
F43ACEE4-6069-4CF1-ABD0-3D5AE4313607.jpeg
A1C1728A-CD70-4328-B3E5-B17CB3AB958B.jpeg
23029612-2725-46CB-8EFE-14716211EA1B.jpeg
A9A4D305-CC62-4850-9E00-3D4BFDFF25DF.jpeg
41E27A7F-7DAC-4335-BBD7-2B9221E5DAE4.jpeg
7535A407-959C-4425-AC76-B824F3B9EDCF.jpeg

Anyway, to the question: it is a case of thread length, the shorter the thread the greater the piling and the shorter the garment life, I believe.

RGLZ

Reaction score
I have recently purchased my first ever cashmere sweater, from Alex Mill via Mr Porter (on sale).

Long story short, it has been pilling a lot. I have had it for about a month and I am finding myself needing to comb it after every wear. It pills if I wear it under a jacket, or by itself. At home or going out.

I know that this is to be expected for a new garment to some extent, but it seems excessive. It might be a defective garment as it is described as having been ‘pre-washed for softness’ and apparently some factories wash too hot which impacts quality.

Can anyone comment here on what is normal and what’s not?
Buy knitwear from a real knitwear manufacturer.. piling is natural especially in the early days of a garment. The shorter the staple the more it will pill, the less ply will also pill more, the tension and guage will also play a part.

Could be a single ply, shithouse yarn spun by some cowboys knitted on 8gg.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy knitwear from a real knitwear manufacturer.. piling is natural especially in the early days of a garment. The shorter the staple the more it will pill, the less ply will also pill more, the tension and guage will also play a part.

Could be a single ply, shithouse yarn spun by some cowboys knitted on 8gg.
My old Ballantyne‘s sweaters are the greatest performers. Contemporary Ballantyne’s, not so good.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, this has been hugely helpful. I also cross-posted to the cashmere thread, and did some digging online too.

The conclusion I drew is that what I got was sub-standard, either because of short fibres and/or possibly being washed too hot or for too long in the finishing stages.

Happily, I emailed the company (Alex Mill instead of Mr Porter), they said that this was unusual (likely bullshit) but offered me a return label and store credit which suits me fine as I live in their tshirts for summer.

Knitwear has always been a pain for me because my build is such that the smallest size of many traditional labels are too big for me. I’ve had luck with Smedley in the past, although they can be a bit fragile, and with Drake’s, which cost a packet. My best buys, by far, have been house label made in Japan knits from United Arrows, which are coming up on 10 years with few signs of wear.

I have gotten my hands on on of these, which feels promising: https://clothbase.com/items/3ef7b172_l-e-j-cashmere-mock-neck-sweater-blue_l-e-j

I had never heard of the label, but it’s made in Scotland, and the guy that runs it is ex-Drake’s, so hopefully using one of their makers. Will report back.

Cheers again for the input!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads