• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perth summer boogie nights
20211209_235132.jpg

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BDE42FE9-CD0B-4F47-85D2-B659C2C3B6E5.jpeg

The Horror….the horror!

conqueror

Reaction score
I have quite a few sets of Trimly shoe trees. I am typically 9UK and
have a size 9 Trickers that takes either size 43 or 42 shoe trees ok. I’d therefore recommend a 44.
Agree with Davewillbox, a 44 will be the right size.
trimly apparently recommend a 43 haha. they won’t let me order two sizes and return one, either...

Last edited:

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
trimly apparently recommend a 43 haha. they won’t let me order two sizes and return one, either...
For a bit more context, I have a few sets of Trimly trees. as per the following:

Loake Capital UK10 - Trimly 45
Crockett & Jones 348 UK10 - Trimly 44
Sons of Henrey Elegant Round UK10 - Trimly 44
Trickers 6038L UK10 - Trimly 44

These are all boots

In the beginning, I ordered a pair of the shoe trees in each of 44 and 45 and the same with the 1st iteration boot trees. I returned the trees that didn't work. I didn't much like the first iteration boot trees as they didn't place any tension on the vamp of the boots, though the new version looks much better.

Trickers are usually quite a wide fitting and so you will have to widen the tree with the screw on the side. I'd still be surprised if the 43 is the right size. I look forward to finding out if I'm right.

Davewillbox

Reaction score
For a bit more context, I have a few sets of Trimly trees. as per the following:

These are all boots

In the beginning, I ordered a pair of the shoe trees in each of 44 and 45 and the same with the 1st iteration boot trees. I returned the trees that didn't work. I didn't much like the first iteration boot trees as they didn't place any tension on the vamp of the boots, though the new version looks much better.

Trickers are usually quite a wide fitting and so you will have to widen the tree with the screw on the side. I'd still be surprised if the 43 is the right size. I look forward to finding out if I'm right.
I remember ordering my first pair of shoe trees on their advice and it was too small. I'd still go with the 44. Good luck with your choice either way! Always a wise investment.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return of daily Aust Post deliveries…good.

Numerically dyslexic new postman…..:brick:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scotty from Marketing has secured a free trade deal with the UK…will this make clothing and shoes cost effective from Britain again?

conqueror

Reaction score

These are all boots

I remember ordering my first pair of shoe trees on their advice and it was too small. I'd still go with the 44. Good luck with your choice either way! Always a wise investment.

so after a little back and forth they allowed me to order a 43 and a 44.

*drum roll*

the 43 are a bit too short, but the 44 are slightly too big haha. the latter definitely take a bit of force to put in/pull out, and once they're in the tree is compressed entirely. i'm not worried about the length of the 44, but i feel they are perhaps too wide? these trickers definitely don't need any stretching (i probably could have done with a half size smaller in the 4444 last anyway), so i'm not quite sure what to do.

Last edited:

Davewillbox

Reaction score

*drum roll*

the 43 are a bit too short, but the 44 are slightly too big haha. the latter definitely take a bit of force to put in/pull out, and once they're in the tree is compressed entirely. i'm not worried about the length of the 44, but i feel they are perhaps too wide? these trickers definitely don't need any stretching (i probably could have done with a half size smaller in the 4444 last anyway), so i'm not quite sure what to do.
Well that’s no good. Have you tried tightening the screws at the front to help with the width issue?

eightace

Reaction score

*drum roll*

You could sand them down (the trees, that is?)

conqueror

Reaction score
Well that’s no good. Have you tried tightening the screws at the front to help with the width issue?
from the way they're designed that doesn't actually seem to do anything. i'll just keep the 43s even if they are a hair small.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, shoe trees don't have to fill up the entire shoe. The important thing is that they fill out the vamp where the shoes crease, so that they "push up" the creases and straighten out the shoe. The shoe trees certainly don't need to reach all the way into the toes of the shoes.

conqueror

Reaction score
In my experience, shoe trees don't have to fill up the entire shoe. The important thing is that they fill out the vamp where the shoes crease, so that they "push up" the creases and straighten out the shoe. The shoe trees certainly don't need to reach all the way into the toes of the shoes.
i'm not expecting them to fill out the toe box, it's just the 43s are a little loose at the heel as they're slightly too short in length. regardless, i'll keep them and return the 44s.

thanks for the advice all.

boot_owl

Reaction score
i'm not expecting them to fill out the toe box, it's just the 43s are a little loose at the heel as they're slightly too short in length. regardless, i'll keep them and return the 44s.

thanks for the advice all.

Don’t need them to be tight in the heel, I actually tend to size down on my shoe trees because all I need is for them to somewhat fill out the vamp + reduce toe spring

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads