• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the oldest pair of shoes anyone has they still wear?

Mine are Allen Edmonds Strand boots in dark brown. First shoes I purchased after joining StyleForum. Shoe trees + shoe cream + rotation has kept them in good nik for 8 years now.
Mine would be a pair of A. Testoni split toe loafers that I bought in 2004. Terrific beater shoe, thye've taken all kinds of carelessness. This year I had to do a glue job on the uppers, but they've needed no other work done.

I did find a pair of C&J chukkas in an op shop about 5 years ago that I had reconditioned. They were so well-worn that all the dimples in the dainite soles had worn smooth, so there's a good chance they are actually my oldest pair.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have held up beautifully nicely done. Can only imagine the adventure had when you're somehow climbing over barb wire in these ?
I was in Maldon, visiting what were potential in-laws, the damn horse charged me on approach... guess carrots weren’t her thing.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In these pressing times we all need a good laugh.

Date Rolls
So, I took the opportunity to immerse myself in Coles seniors 7am gold class shopping experience. Most disappointing aspect? I arrive, straight through sir, no need to show your card… I’m obviously a V.O.C. (Visibly Old ****). Once inside the hallowed ground, all is pleasant, people are civil, smiles and knowing nods from fellow VOC’s. One thing missing. Stock. No meat, no fish, no canned foods, no pasta, no bread, no oats, no essential vegies, onion, garlic, spuds… What to do? I have no need for hairspray or liniment. And there’s lip balm aplenty.

With empty basket I finally arrive at the holy grail, the toilet paper aisle. It is stacked. With daunting packages containing at a guess thirty rolls a slab. You could build a mud hut with these things. What the hell? There’s only the one arsehole in my household, they’ll go stale. What am I to do? Wallpaper the place and **** on the walls?

I wander home feeling as deflated as my reusable eco-friendly shopping bag.

Next. How to cook a weeks worth of meals with only one can of Edgell four bean mix, a cob of stale corn and four wilted asparagus spears.

The good news, Qantas have extended my real Gold Class status for another year free of charge, so I’m off to the Qantas Club for some well earned fudge biscuits and tepid coffee.

Paul J Livingston aka Flaco who is or maybe not on tour with the Sandman at present.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of C&J suede slip ons from the late 50’s early 60’s. They have a beautiful last. Will post when they’re back from the cobbler getting a topy on.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In these pressing times we all need a good laugh.

Date Rolls
So, I took the opportunity to immerse myself in Coles seniors 7am gold class shopping experience. Most disappointing aspect? I arrive, straight through sir, no need to show your card… I’m obviously a V.O.C. (Visibly Old ****). Once inside the hallowed ground, all is pleasant, people are civil, smiles and knowing nods from fellow VOC’s. One thing missing. Stock. No meat, no fish, no canned foods, no pasta, no bread, no oats, no essential vegies, onion, garlic, spuds… What to do? I have no need for hairspray or liniment. And there’s lip balm aplenty.

With empty basket I finally arrive at the holy grail, the toilet paper aisle. It is stacked. With daunting packages containing at a guess thirty rolls a slab. You could build a mud hut with these things. What the hell? There’s only the one arsehole in my household, they’ll go stale. What am I to do? Wallpaper the place and **** on the walls?

I wander home feeling as deflated as my reusable eco-friendly shopping bag.

Next. How to cook a weeks worth of meals with only one can of Edgell four bean mix, a cob of stale corn and four wilted asparagus spears.

The good news, Qantas have extended my real Gold Class status for another year free of charge, so I’m off to the Qantas Club for some well earned fudge biscuits and tepid coffee.

Paul J Livingston aka Flaco who is or maybe not on tour with the Sandman at present.

Please provide ongoing updates, Dr Livingston.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of C&J suede slip ons from the late 50’s early 60’s. They have a beautiful last. Will post when they’re back from the cobbler getting a topy on.
E5F7E192-AB57-4BE0-8091-D049D5ECEB04.jpeg

These were an e thrift, and are in mint condition. They were probably worn at most 3-4 times, only on special occasions.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supply side economics? From a friend.
“ She met a guy in a lift who only had six slabs of beer in his trolley. He offered to swap one for her 16 pack of bog roll. She said no. We're now set to survive about three weeks to a month.”

Me I would have taken the slab.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dragged myself out of bed at some ungodly hour of the morning today and schlepped down to the old folks' line at the supermarket at 6.30am. Timely; there were only about half a dozen people in front of us. Lots of gaps in the shelves, but it wasn't as bad as we'd feared looking at availabillity on the app the night before. We got everything we needed bar a few things, including TP and tissues. Hopefully this will be as bad as it gets and the mass hysteria will subside.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dragged myself out of bed at some ungodly hour of the morning today and schlepped down to the old folks' line at the supermarket at 6.30am. Timely; there were only about half a dozen people in front of us. Lots of gaps in the shelves, but it wasn't as bad as we'd feared looking at availabillity on the app the night before. We got everything we needed bar a few things, including TP and tissues. Hopefully this will be as bad as it gets and the mass hysteria will subside.

Here's hoping.

I have to say that for all the bad behaviour there are lots of examples of brilliant behaviour. People organising local outreach programs for the vulnerable (fxh, am looking at you), neighbourhood facebook groups sharing and helping each other out, the calm and polite supermarket behaviour I experienced at my local, the list goes on. It is something to pin some hope on.

Shaunm88

Reaction score
I’m stuck with normal shopping hours. So far I wouldnt say we have been lucky but we certainly aren’t stuck without anything. We are just living with supplies how we normally would.

About the only thing we have bought extra is baby wipes with an expectant baby next month. That and hand sanitiser are the only products they feel a genuine shortage will occur as the usage of these has increased a great deal. The rest whilst demand and purchasing has increased you physically cant use all that toiler paper (someone did the maths and for what people are buying they need to go for number twos 182 times a day).

On positive news I also got my qantas status extended. I went from platinum one a few years ago, haven’t flown by paying for a while and every year my status has dropped to platinum then last year to gold. I was to drop to silver again but managed to keep gold with no flights in 20 months.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads