• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maggie was right: there is no such thing as society.
The level of ignorance and selfishness is disheartening, to say the least.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's got beyond laughable now. Here in the regions we are seeing busloads of supermarket tourists coming up from Melbourne to clean out our shops as well. It's sociopathic, and it has got to be stopped, somehow.
That is staggering. Fear, anxiety plus the constant 24/7 media circus has people behaving irrationally.

The NYT’s The Daily podcast has an interesting take on the stock market behaviour well worth a listen, and so is Judith Lucy’s podcast on ABC for a dose of comic relief.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How everyone has behaved is more scary than the virus, I'm pretty floored by how empty the stores around me are and I don't mean of toilet paper I mean of meat and other foods. I think we can drop the old adage about only being 3 meals away from anarchy Australia got a good jump start on this.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to say hi to all Australian members. I have been avoiding viewing/reading any clothing related staffs lately to avoid buying more clothing (basically). I am pleased to report no clothing related purchase since September 2019 (excluding gifts received ?). I really feel more in control and lot more $$ in my bank account.

Bravo! I know some other people who have done this over the past few years, and I think that it's a really good idea.

Places like SF (as well as Instagram) can unfortunately be really good at convincing you that you need this pair of shoes, that jacket, that suit and more when, in fact, you don't need any of them and they won't make you any happier or better as a person.

Now please just make sure you that you steer clear of any watch-related things, too - they are much, much more expensive than clothing and arguably even more unnecessary!

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the oldest pair of shoes anyone has they still wear?

Mine are Allen Edmonds Strand boots in dark brown. First shoes I purchased after joining StyleForum. Shoe trees + shoe cream + rotation has kept them in good nik for 8 years now.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine are Allen Edmonds Strand boots in dark brown. First shoes I purchased after joining StyleForum. Shoe trees + shoe cream + rotation has kept them in good nik for 8 years now.
John Lobb Russells, 23 years old. Complete with cat scratches and niks from climbing over a barbed wire fence. Bought to wear with a check 3 piece made the same year. Needless to say, the suit no longer fits.
1584494372425.jpeg

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pair of black RM William sante fes

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Lobb Russells, 23 years old. Complete with cat scratches and niks from climbing over a barbed wire fence. Bought to wear with a check 3 piece made the same year. Needless to say, the suit no longer fits.

They look beautiful!

As for the suit, I'm sure it's because the trouser waist got too big and the jacket shoulders got too small.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oldest pair of boots RMW Gardening 29 years old, resoled once and the elastic replaced both in 2008.

RMW kangaroo comfort craftsman 11 years. Most of the conservative business dress wardrobe which was worn with them has gone to Vinnies.

The last four years a lot of Globe suede sneakers which blow out after two years.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads