• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy new year!!!
53BC45F4-8B4C-49A5-810D-9F7D19677A4A.jpeg

Last edited:

fox81

Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for good made to measure places in Brisbane, apart from DeeR Style?

Looking to spend around $400 for pants, around $1200 for a suit

thats a tight price point. consider some of those tailors that travel to brisbane from melb/syd.
i use trunk tailors here in melb, odd trousers were $550.

there is also that place on james st next to sixes and sevens. no idea of their pricing or how good they are. richards and richards around the corner might have some options (although not the isaia mtm).

Contango

Reaction score
Fly to Sydney or Melbourne and get the suit done here? Wouldn’t add that much if you fly bogan class on Jetstar or Tiger.

Mr. Mott

Reaction score
Hi fellow Aussies,

I'm keen to get a suit commissioned and looking for a tailor that does CMT. Do anyone have any advice for high end places that offer this service either in MTM or Bespoke. Looking into <$3,000, so that may rule out some bespoke tailors. Looking primarily Sydney, will also do Melbourne if I can't find what I'm looking for in SYD.

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Last edited:

fox81

Reaction score
I'm keen to get a suit commissioned and looking for a tailor that does CMT.

it cant be that hard. if its getting made locally, should be fine. not sure who is recommended in sydney these days. i imagine tfc will do it, even if they are made offshore.

whats the fabric you want to use?

mercury

Reaction score
Fox is right, any bespoke tailor should do CMT - but you may or may not not get a discount off the base pricing for providing your own cloth. The MTM shops will be more of a mixed bag.

Btw did you mean under $3k? (> means greater than). If you want to spend (well) over $3k, check out Bijan on O'Connell St.

Also The Finery Company in Paddington can do suits through Zing Chen (under $3k), or their TFC Bespoke line (over $3k).

Mr. Mott

Reaction score
Thanks for both your responses. I've contacted a few MTM places and everyone I have spoken to will do it. However the idea is to save some money in the process and many of the prices quoted don't do that to the degree I'm after.

And yes, apologies, I meant <, I have updated in my post.

The plan is to use high end merchants: Loro Piana, Dormeuil, H&S, HFW, etc. (undetermined yet on an Italian or English cloth).

I'll check out TFC and Bijan (although that's probably out of the picture for the near future unless I decide to get one really high end suit made).

Contango

Reaction score
Do you really think those “high end merchants” would sell to you at the same price they do tailors and distributors to allow you to save any significant amount?

Mr. Mott

Reaction score
Do you really think those “high end merchants” would sell to you at the same price they do tailors and distributors to allow you to save any significant amount?

I have noticed a merchant that had 50% off stock from out of season books.

Last edited:

fox81

Reaction score
it seems like youre trying to save $100 on a $3k suit.
if this is your game, best to spend the $700 on a return ticket to hong kong and use some tailors there with your fabric.

otherwise, if you have something particularly unique that youve collected, makes sense.

Mr. Mott

Reaction score
it seems like youre trying to save $100 on a $3k suit.
if this is your game, best to spend the $700 on a return ticket to hong kong and use some tailors there with your fabric.

otherwise, if you have something particularly unique that youve collected, makes sense.

Appreciate your response and advice. Going overseas does seem like an option for what im looking to achieve.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it cant be that hard. if its getting made locally, should be fine. not sure who is recommended in sydney these days. i imagine tfc will do it, even if they are made offshore.

whats the fabric you want to use?

I am happy to have a very lengthy chat about CMT if you like. After years of trying it, my conclusion is that it's not, at the end of the day, a viable way to save money on commissions.

At the risk of sounding reductive, the economics of CMT aren't favourable to either party approximately 80% of the time.

If it's your first time, or unless you have inspected the fabric to be completely free from flaws and/or defects, you have to have at least 1.5x the minimum length required for your commission

Also:
- mid-tier outfits make most of their margin off the cloth, so will transfer that margin onto workmanship cost (and in fact, that has happened to you - based on the quotes provided to you)

- higher-end outfits prefer not to work with CMT unless you have an established relationship with them.

Mr. Mott

Reaction score
I am happy to have a very lengthy chat about CMT if you like. After years of trying it, my conclusion is that it's not, at the end of the day, a viable way to save money on commissions.

What you have said makes a lot of sense. I understand how it can not be beneficial for the tailors; especially through either the margin they make and/or the ongoing relationships they develop with merchants.

I'd be keen to speak in more detail about CMT and understand the circumstances/experiences you've been through to learn off your experiences. I'll send you a message, however happy to speak here, or however you feel most appropriate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads