• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comporter

Reaction score
Hi all,

Happy New Year!

Does anyone know how the sizing of Spier & Mackay suits compare with MJ Bale?

I am normally a 36 in MJ Bale Block 7 and would like to give S&M a try as it's supposedly better.

Thanks!

chatelet

Reaction score
Hi all,

Happy New Year!

Does anyone know how the sizing of Spier & Mackay suits compare with MJ Bale?

I am normally a 36 in MJ Bale Block 7 and would like to give S&M a try as it's supposedly better.

Thanks!
I’m the same size as you and own multiple suits from both. Agree S&M quality is better.

S&M has two fits, slim and contemporary.

In a jacket, a 36 slim from S&M is comparable to MJB drop 7. The S&M will probably be marginally longer on body and sleeve. I have not tried contemporary but it would have lower armholes and probably be too big if MJB fits you well.

In trousers, S&M slim = MJB drop 8. You will want S&M contemporary which is roughly MJB drop 7 (actually probably a little slimmer - imagine if MJB had a drop 7.25).

If buying a suit and you want a slim jacket and contemporary trousers (like me), buy the slim suit and then put your request for a trouser swap in the order notes. Send them and email afterwards to make sure they notice your request. It’s usually fine as long as they have stock.

If this is your first S&M order, use code UYX2AQ for 20% off. Not sure if it stacks with current Boxing Day sale. Purchase using PayPal so you can get the return shipping refunded (up to $45) if you need to.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Last edited:

Comporter

Reaction score
Many thanks for the helpful reply.

With MJB, I find that I am going between 36 and 38 (Block 7), depending on the jacket. Size 36 is better for length, while 38 is better for shoulders. I always have to shorten the sleeves not matter what size I pick. For trousers, usually I need size 32, so it looks like I would need a trouser swap for size too.

Do you find S&M a tighter fit than MJB? If so, I may have to go for a size 38 jacket.

Thanks again!

chatelet

Reaction score

With MJB, I find that I am going between 36 and 38 (Block 7), depending on the jacket. Size 36 is better for length, while 38 is better for shoulders. I always have to shorten the sleeves not matter what size I pick. For trousers, usually I need size 32, so it looks like I would need a trouser swap for size too.

Do you find S&M a tighter fit than MJB? If so, I may have to go for a size 38 jacket.

Thanks again!

For jackets, I find S&M slim to be a slightly larger fit than MJB. In particular the top block, ie shoulders, sleeve head, sleeve width. But given you sometimes need 38, I would suggest trying S&M contemporary jacket in 36 as an in-between option.

Re trousers, do you size up to 32 for waist room or leg room? If waist, be aware that S&M trousers are vanity sized (no matter what they say). So I wear a size 30 trousers from MJB with no alterations, but a size 30 from S&M needs to be taken in about 1.5 inches. So if you take a 32 MJB then the 30 S&M may be comparable.

Comporter

Reaction score
For jackets, I find S&M slim to be a slightly larger fit than MJB. In particular the top block, ie shoulders, sleeve head, sleeve width.
Thanks again! If S&M is more generous in the shoulders, the rest should be fine.
Re trousers, do you size up to 32 for waist room or leg room?
I size up the trousers mostly for waist/hip comfort - I have chicken legs otherwise.

I'll take a gamble and order one of the sales suits in 36 slim with size 30 contemporary trousers. With the extra 25% discount they end up under $300 AUD delivered. Hopefully it will fit - otherwise I may have to be posting it for sale here.

Thanks again for all your help!

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Journeyman Back in the 80’s black leather jacket, Russian striped naval top, black Levi’s and well beaten dark brown RMW Gardeners were a thing.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks again!
Don’t worry about the sleeves. No working buttons so easy to adjust. Contemporary block is similar to SuSu Havana. Slim works as well; it’s not too slim. I have both.

NikG

Reaction score
Thanks again! If S&M is more generous in the shoulders, the rest should be fine.

I size up the trousers mostly for waist/hip comfort - I have chicken legs otherwise.

I'll take a gamble and order one of the sales suits in 36 slim with size 30 contemporary trousers. With the extra 25% discount they end up under $300 AUD delivered. Hopefully it will fit - otherwise I may have to be posting it for sale here.

Thanks again for all your help!
How much is shipping mate?? Never tried S&M before so be keen on trying one out since prices are pretty decent.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cavour is also worth a try when on sale. Also Neapolitan style jacket blocks. Decent fabric - LP, Drago, VBC. Less than $1K. Made in Italy.

Currently 30-50% off, but don’t know for how much longer.

Remember: SM is also on sale but only till Sat night (their time), I think. 25% off with the code BOX25.

So don’t wait too long

boot_owl

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads