• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sydneysiders, how often do you see people wearing bow ties?

I am a Sydneysider by birth, but live in Melbourne via Brisbane.

I have a couple of bow ties, which I like to wear to work for a bit of levity on an otherwise tense occasion: a deadline or somesuch.

The J

Reaction score
Hey fellas, long time lurker first time posting here. Current location is on the north west side of Melbourne. First of all, nice to meet all of you.

I have a question. I know this has been asked multiple times, but am looking for an answer in the context of our Melbourne/Australian climate. I'm purchasing my first navy blazer, and was weighing between MTM from Oscar Hunt or go for some good brands. I stumbled upon a Montedoro blazer whilst shopping around at Masons and loved it. However its made of 100% cotton. I'm planning to wear the blazer in the warmer months, Autumn, Summer, Spring.

The question is, should I make the purchase and on colder days layer up with scarf/wool sweaters or look for a hopsack, or wool/cotton blend. Thanks for reading!

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boxy and inelegant.

Canali - can be a little boxy but the fabrics (all Loro Piana) and construction are generally very good; minor alterations reduce the boxiness. I have a number of excellent Canali suits, jackets, trousers, shirts and knits - nearly all of them purchased during their twice-yearly sales - and wear them all the time. Maybe they just suit my frame.

Coming down to Sydney for the week, attending a conference. Staying on York St, will be on the hunt for some good burgers. Any recommendations on dinner spots/ bars/ must-do's nearby? Baxters is already on the ticket.

Too late I know, but the best burgers I've had in the Sydney conservative business dress are from Down-n-Out Burger in the pub on the corner of Liverpool and George. Absolutely top-class, and the bar has Young Henry's on tap.

Burger Project are decent but inconsistent.

Mary's on Castlereagh make abysmally bad burgers. Avoid, with extreme prejudice.

Anyone got a suggestion for an unstructured corduroy jacket? I liked some EG and RRL ones from seasons past but can't seem to find one I can actually buy.

I got a great one from Brooks Bros - mid brown, fairly large wale, unlined, soft shoulder, Fitzgerald block. Bought it during one of their sales - I seem to remember it was outstandlingly cheap, maybe $300-odd or even less.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, good to see the old Aussie thread firing again. I've been otherwise occupied for a couple of weeks...with this...

FullSizeRender 13.jpg

Ain't she cute?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, Cox!

Is this your first? If so, prepare for your life to change.
If not, I hope that the plunge back into seriously disrupted sleep is not too difficult!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a Sydneysider by birth, but live in Melbourne via Brisbane.

I have a couple of bow ties, which I like to wear to work for a bit of levity on an otherwise tense occasion: a deadline or somesuch.
I was at the Opera Bar last week and saw quite a few men in their 30s wearing bow ties. I think the look is popular now, although that was not a professional situation. My concerns have been alleviated.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:brick::brick::censored::censored: Go into a Vinnies this morning and not 1 but 2 Harris Tweed jackets. Excellent condition nice fabric pattern. Can tell by looking they'd fit me across the chest & shoulder. Try them on and the sleeves are too short:(
Great!:cloud:
Harris Tweed. OCBD w. no tie. Scarf. Deep green wide wale cords on legs. Gunboat brogues on hoof.
harris.jpg

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday. Vintage 60s Ivy Jacket (no front dart, 3/2 roll, single vent, swelled seams and edges) to shoulders. Horseblanket Checked yellow background brushed cotton BD. Spermatozoa Tie with much thirst on shoulders. Olive Moleskins on pins. Vintage Italian Gunboats to foot.
5.jpg
2.jpg
shoe.jpg

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed in the recent BB sales that price discounts are finally compatible with what the US was offering. Mind you it would be nice if the range of styles, options matched the US.

Article 26

Reaction score
HI all, does anyone know what brands this Masons store has? Don't get to the conservative business dress often and the website doesn't look active.

Epicure

Reaction score
The question is, should I make the purchase and on colder days layer up with scarf/wool sweaters or look for a hopsack, or wool/cotton blend. Thanks for reading!

Hi @jianliang2, welcome aboard.

Personally, I like navy blazers, so I have them in different fabrics and weights. If your budget permits, I would recommend having a couple for seasonal wear rather than the one blazer for year round use. Nothing is optimal for wear through all seasons, even in milder climates, IMHO.

Cotton doesn't typically wear that cool, especially in the twills that seem to be among the most prevalent weaves for cotton jackets. I don't have direct experience with hopsack, but based on what knowledge I've gleaned from others, it would make a good choice for the summer due the open weave. Strictly, I don't think hopsack has to be wool, as the term describes the weave rather than the material that makes up the yarns, to the best of my understanding.

You may also like to consider linen, or if you really can't abide wrinkling and crumpling (I personally love it), or the situations in which you'll be wearing the jacket call for something more professional, opt for something with a high percentage of wool/100% wool. Open weave is the key, and go with a half-lining. Linings can wear hot, and in the summer, full linings are best avoided. I would advise buying the really lightweight fabrics as they don't wear so well, and you might still be contending with a lot of wrinkling.

For winter, if you budget allows for the two jackets, go for a gutsier fabric like woolen or worsted flannel or wool melton, assuming you want the jacket mainly as an outwear item. These cloths in the typically air conditioned indoor environment will probably wear too hot unless your body runs really cold. If you really don't want more than one navy blazer, you could opt for a nice Donegal tweed in the blue family, which will be versatile and provide some variety from wearing navy blazers all the time.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this has been asked over and over again. But here I am asking it.

Good alterations in Sydney? I need:
- sleeve shortening (on a delicate merino fabric)
- taking in the waist
- potentially shortening a jacket, and slimming the sleeve of another
- taking (black tie) trousers in, but also making them slimmer without turning them into yoga pants

Any recommendations much appreciated! After getting a few pieces butchered I'm hesitant to just try the top Google results, and I can't find the previous occurrences of this question in the thread. General price ranges also appreciated - I have no idea how much this work goes for in Oz.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batikslot