• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My RMWs have a small hole in the side where my little toe is. I think it's because when the sole was redone they put it on a wide for last and that my foot movement has caused it to wear.

I'm tossing up whether to get a pair of Baxters or pay the extra $150 and get another pair of RMWs. They're the same shoe really but RMWs is pretty iconic.

What is your rmw size? I can buy them from DJs @ 20%+ 10% (28% total discount) via insider
1f609.png
(even on sale items)

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a good time to pickup some summer suits. Pulled trigger on this , some other sizes are available. Absolute bargain. I have few lbm deconstructed/ garment dyed suits and they are a real pleasure to wear on a beautiful summer day. It's a relaxed & effortless look .
http://mobile.yoox.com/au/49212380DQ/item#cod10=49212380DQ&sizeId=4

Jacket is ridiculously short, at least on that model photo.

There was some puff-piece on "twenty jackets you must consider" on Executive Style the other day. They should have called it "twenty jackets you must consider burning". Every single one of them was about ten centimetres too short.

Really - this ridiculous pre-shrunk menswear affectation is already ten years old (having been foisted upon us by Thom Browne via his 2006 collection). It was intriguing for about five seconds. That was ten years ago.

Puh-leez, people. It's a crock.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There was some puff-piece on "twenty jackets you must consider" on Executive Style the other day. They should have called it "twenty jackets you must consider burning". Every single one of them was about ten centimetres too short.

Really - this ridiculous pre-shrunk menswear affectation is already ten years old (having been foisted upon us by Thom Browne via his 2006 collection). It was intriguing for about five seconds. That was ten years ago.

Puh-leez, people. It's a crock.

Yoox is terrible at product description and pictures. Lbm unlined casual suits- 36r is about 27.75 to 28.5(boc). For casual suit I can live with that. This model is probably 188cm and wearing a size 36.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woke up to -4c this morning. However the world is turning and spring is coming. I need some new trousers for spring/summer. Thinking I may try to buy locally prefer to get some linnen ( this is a mens clothing forum why does it not recognise the word :brick:) cotton blend. Option would be off the rack locally :lol: or may get some made up at OH.

Suggestions required.

Last edited:

Styleternity

Reaction score
Good morning gents,

Been absent from this forum for a good while but have been consistently lurking. Moving to Hong Kong at the end of the month and have a couple of questions stemming from that decision:

1. For the Brisbanites (i.e. @Journeyman ) are there any decent spots to get a watchband shortened. I recently inherited my father's GMT and his wrist is decidedly chunkier than mine;

2. Have any of you come across an HK members thread on SF? A cursory search yields only the usual suspects (HK tailoring, streetwear et al). I'm after a space where I can discuss my terrible Cantonese and where the best drycleaners in the city are (among other things).

On an unrelated note, does anyone have any experience with the Eidos blocks from NMWA? They have a good slew of 52L on further discount but I cannae tell whether they'll fit me better than the Drop 7 UK size 40 I've been buying from MJB. The chest on both seems similar (Eidos 52 being slightly wider) but then the other measurements are vastly different.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning gents,

Been absent from this forum for a good while but have been consistently lurking. Moving to Hong Kong at the end of the month and have a couple of questions stemming from that decision:

1. For the Brisbanites (i.e. @Journeyman ) are there any decent spots to get a watchband shortened. I recently inherited my father's GMT and his wrist is decidedly chunkier than mine;

2. Have any of you come across an HK members thread on SF? A cursory search yields only the usual suspects (HK tailoring, streetwear et al). I'm after a space where I can discuss my terrible Cantonese and where the best drycleaners in the city are (among other things).
CC'ing @haTTer for HK recs.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning gents,

On an unrelated note, does anyone have any experience with the Eidos blocks from NMWA? They have a good slew of 52L on further discount but I cannae tell whether they'll fit me better than the Drop 7 UK size 40 I've been buying from MJB. The chest on both seems similar (Eidos 52 being slightly wider) but then the other measurements are vastly different.

If you're moving to HK, there's that magician fella over there who restores bracelets. You can get it restored whilst shortened at the same time? http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10% off @ eBay. Min Spend $75

CTENOFF
10% off @ eBay when your purchase is $75 or more. Can be used twice. Max discount $300. Ends 10/8. Payment by PayPal only.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yoox is terrible at product description and pictures. Lbm unlined casual suits- 36r is about 27.75 to 28.5(boc). For casual suit I can live with that. This model is probably 188cm and wearing a size 36.

Hope you're right. Best of luck!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, that was a truly, truly dreadful article. Unsurprisingly, it was by Louise Edmonds, who is the worst of Exec Style's stable of menswear writers. Most of her pieces come across as recycled marketing releases from fashion brands.

Congrats on the upcoming move to HK, and congrats on inheriting your dad's watch (and I hope that I'm correct in assuming that your dad is still alive and that he's just passed his watch on to you!).

If you want to get the bracelet adjusted in Brisbane, you could always take it in to Langfords on Queen St, opposite the Apple Store. They're the only authorised retailer of new Rolex watches in Brisbane (I think) and they should, I would hope, be able to adjust the bracelet.

Otherwise, you could take it to Ronnie Wachtel at Brisbane Vintage Watches in the Brisbane Arcade. Ronnie and the heavy-set, older chap there are both knowledgeable about watches and are nice to chat to and I'm sure that they could similarly shorten the bracelet for you.

If you're happy to wait until you're in HK, there's the bracelet-renovation person that sliq mentioned above. Also, Alex Pig watches in Quarry Bay on HK island (a little bit out of the way, over to the east of Central/Wanchai/Causeway Bay) is also helpful and could probably recommend someone (although he'd probably recommend the same person that sliq mentioned!).

I don't know if there's a current HK thread, but there have certainly been quite a few HK threads in the past which mentioned places to eat, drink, and get MTO/bespoke clothing in HK. Have a look in the General Chat area of the forum. Members such as Hatter and chobochobo, long-term residents of HK, have posted about HK in the past.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Australian Womens Rugby team wins gold by beating New Zealand in the final.:slayer: And Canada beat the Poms for bronze. Go ahead make my day! :slayer::slayer:

Wallabies take note.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads