• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ovlov

Reaction score
@ovlov Ive never really had much joy in Adelaide with suits. The bigsmoke is a better option.

Ive recently had some small alterations done at John K Tailor on Magill Rd. All the right questions were asked, and good result. Definitely an old skool style tailor (who will retire soon, he says). They also do MTM with a range of fabrics. I was considering a jacket. But with a quick look through their fabric books nothing really grabbed me. Their jackets arent canvassed, but that was probably reflected in the price.

I would be keen to hear if you do get anything made in Adelaide. It would be good to have some more options.

So I had a chat over the phone with Mr John K. He has been tailoring for 40+ years. I was surprised to hear that his wool suits started from $850, were entirely made by him in store, but were fully fused. I thought fused canvases were a product of factory machined suiting? I asked him about a full canvas option and he told me that he used to do all full canvas, but now everything is fused. He said it is better this way and a seemed perplexed that I would ask about such an antiquated process.

This foray into the world of sub $1k tailor made suiting is blowing my mind. I think I will need to stick to good old fashioned chinese factory mtm suiting.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today double breasted jacket by ovadia and sons.

Yesterday Suitsupply . Sleeves are already 0.3" too short and chunky cable knit made it even 1" shorter.

Last edited:

OzWino

Reaction score

So I had a chat over the phone with Mr John K. He has been tailoring for 40+ years. I was surprised to hear that his wool suits started from $850, were entirely made by him in store, but were fully fused. I thought fused canvases were a product of factory machined suiting? I asked him about a full canvas option and he told me that he used to do all full canvas, but now everything is fused. He said it is better this way and a seemed perplexed that I would ask about such an antiquated process. 

I cant remember exactly but i think he said around $4-500 for a jacket. But it would be fused. It would actually be good to have a look at some work in progress. Then again im such a neophyte with tailoring i would probably just nod wisely, and actually have no idea.

ruzzi

Reaction score
I know its not as well-regarded anymore but Herringbone 50% off Menswear Store Wide until tomorrow (Friday) midday... online only.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wednesday 27 July 2016

In the next edition of PBS' monthly film series, Stryka D and Mohair Slim present a free screening of Duke Vin and the Birth of Ska at The Spotted Mallard.The night includes a Q&A session with director Gus Berger, and the screening of a short film about Stryka D and Melbourne's sound-system culture to start the night. This comes in the lead-up to August's sound-system special edition of Jamaica Jump-Up, with Stryka D's Heartical Hi-Powa system set to shake the dance-floor.Here's a bit of info about the film: Duke Vin and Count Suckle arrived in the UK in 1954 and Duke Vin would soon set up the first sound system in the UK. They brought with them a sound that was sweeping across Jamaica and would later change the face of music in the UK. This was the sound of Ska!The short film starts at 7:30pm, Q+A at 7:45pm and the feature screening starts at 8:15pm. The Spotted Mallard makes great food, and opens from 4pm, so why not get down early for some dinner and a few drinks in the lead-up?

The screening is FREE entry for all, and PBS members receive a free pot of Thunder Road beer or glass of Cake wine on entry! Members also receive a 10% discount on food and drinks all night, so don't forget your membership card.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gott im Himmel ABC says its -5c this morning. Pea Coat weather even for walking the dog.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like everyday for you.

We do actually have four seasons in this town although the hot air coming off the hill does affect the weather at times.

AFR magazine out today includes annual watch Appreciation extra.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics