• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

australia good suit on budget

dewy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
If Myer has highlighted its barcode, it means it is 'Quit Stock' - has to be gotten rid of before being sent off to the 'Good Buy Warehouse' outside Melbourne.

So for the sake of round numbers, lets say that your suit is $400 at retail, and has a highlighted barcode, this means that it will be 25% off on the first 2 weeks of this sale - so you can buy it at $300 at that time.

If stuff doesnt sell, it will go to 50% after those 2 weeks, and be half price for 2 more weeks, when if it still doesnt sell, it will be reduced to 75% off the last marked price. In this case, $100.

Very little worth owning lasts to the 75% off stage...very very little. Normally just stuff that it really ugly and in really big or really small sizes.

But if you buy your $400 suit at 25% off in the first week, pay $300, never wear it, and keep your receipt...then come back a month later and return it, they will refund you $300.

Then you walk around to the other side of the counter, pick it up again, come back to the register and purchase it, it will only cost $100 now, as it will scan in at 75% off the original $400.

Make sense?

Yeah that makes sense to me, but will the guy on the checkout deny it? What reason do I give for returning it, my experience with returns of any sort is always a pissed off sales rep or manager and I'd have thought they would be really pissed if they do the return then you buy it again?

By highlighted barcode does that mean it is highlighted with one of those highlighter markers that you'd use for studying or what ever?

And would this "scheme" work with layby goods, say I put something on layby, come pick it up 2 weeks later, take it home for 2 weeks, return it, then do the re-buy thing? And how long will Myer allow you in their return period? I thought most places were 1-2 weeks?)

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dewy
Yeah that makes sense to me, but will the guy on the checkout deny it? What reason do I give for returning it, my experience with returns of any sort is always a pissed off sales rep or manager and I'd have thought they would be really pissed if they do the return then you buy it again?

By highlighted barcode does that mean it is highlighted with one of those highlighter markers that you'd use for studying or what ever?

And would this "scheme" work with layby goods, say I put something on layby, come pick it up 2 weeks later, take it home for 2 weeks, return it, then do the re-buy thing? And how long will Myer allow you in their return period? I thought most places were 1-2 weeks?)

big department store staff seldom care if you return things - its not like they own it
smile.gif
yup, they just run over them with a normal highlighter to make it easy for the staff to see what gets dumped in the Quit racks, the scanning system is preprogrammed with the quit bar code numbers, so it knows to scan it at the latest price. I have a feeling that they banned laybys on quit stock - the whole point of quit stock is to get it the hell out of the store, they dont want it hanging around in the layby area instead. I guess it is possible though, cant remember.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Squires is made in Fiji, comes out the same factories as Stafford Ellison.

That said, I have a Decathlon by Squires suit (3 percent lycra thing) that is still one of my favorite travel suits, and is getting on 8 yrs old now.

Some of Anthony Squires trousers are now made in Fiji, but Im pretty sure most of their suits are still produced in Australia. I love the concept of Anthony Squires but its pretty shoddy in general for what you pay for it. I purchased one of their suits several years ago, this was before I knew what the difference was between and a fused suit. I never dry cleaned the suit but it bubbled. So I think the fusing is pretty bad.

I recommended CEO in an earlier post, but I would recant that. I went into their store in Brisbane today and have to advise you to stay away for now. It appears that all their suits are fused now. They used to sell some half canvassed models with basting on the sleeves, but I think they have switched production again to cheaper manufacturer so that they can squeeze more profit out of their suits. Not impressed! This seems to the way most Australian Manufacturers they are producing more and more off shore suits and the prices are not coming down!!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
Some of Anthony Squires trousers are now made in Fiji, but Im pretty sure most of their suits are still produced in Australia. I love the concept of Anthony Squires but its pretty shoddy in general for what you pay for it. I purchased one of their suits several years ago, this was before I knew what the difference was between and a fused suit. I never dry cleaned the suit but it bubbled. So I think the fusing is pretty bad.

I recommended CEO in an earlier post, but I would recant that. I went into their store in Brisbane today and have to advise you to stay away for now. It appears that all their suits are fused now. They used to sell some half canvassed models with basting on the sleeves, but I think they have switched production again to cheaper manufacturer so that they can squeeze more profit out of their suits. Not impressed! This seems to the way most Australian Manufacturers they are producing more and more off shore suits and the prices are not coming down!!

If I remember correctly, Anthony Squires will make both suits and shirts to order - not sure if it's true bespoke or just made-to-measure. Such suits are fully canvassed. However, using the MTO option is (naturally) a lot more expensive than buying a suit straight off the rack, and I don't know what the off-the-rack suits are like in terms of quality and construction.

I would agree with the above warning on CEO suits - they look trendy, but the quality is not particularly good.

As someone noted above, Trent Nathan makes quite nice suits that are partially-canvassed. I've even seen a couple of models with basted sleeves, so that you can have working buttonholes made when the suit is tailored to fit. I'm not sure of how much they would sell for during the stocktake sales at David Jones.

Country Road suits all seem to be fused, but are also reasonable quality - although too expensive for what you get if you pay full price. However, if you can pick one up on sale you won't necessarily be doing too badly. I noticed a rather nice suit in the Brisbane City store a couple of days ago - single-breasted, peak lapel, twin side vents, medium gray with a slight pattern to the weave. Quite a slender cut, too. If it wasn't for the fact that my wife would kill me if I brought home another suit, I would seriously have considered buying it...

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
As someone noted above, Trent Nathan makes quite nice suits that are partially-canvassed. I've even seen a couple of models with basted sleeves, so that you can have working buttonholes made when the suit is tailored to fit. I'm not sure of how much they would sell for during the stocktake sales at David Jones.

I went to DJS at the start of the sale, only saw a couple of Trent Nathan suits left. But they are a little over 400 dollars. At that price a good deal and better than buying Studio Italia.

Originally Posted by Journeyman
I noticed a rather nice suit in the Brisbane City store a couple of days ago - single-breasted, peak lapel, twin side vents, medium gray with a slight pattern to the weave. Quite a slender cut, too. If it wasn't for the fact that my wife would kill me if I brought home another suit, I would seriously have considered buying it...

I know the suit you are talking about at Country Road. The best of the lot. Peak lapels and an absent buttonhole detail in the lapel. If it was in charcoal I would by more inclined to buy it....For a similar styled suit to the Country Road you can go is Pierucci. They have good sales however the stock is always limited.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
My first suit was also Studio Italia, a plain black pure wool 3 button that i bought for my year 12 formal in 2001. I still wear it to weddings/funerals.

Ditto for my 18 year old and very successful too!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alphacream