• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

ambyance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone able to help me find frames similar to these in style?

Want to keep it around 200 or less. Looking for the metal bridge and the rounded lenses in particular. Many thanks in advance.

More than $200 but Dior Homme.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate to take my sunglasses on and off if I have to go from indoor to outdoor or vice versa frequently.  Do photochromic sunglasses work as advertised and they look just like slightly tinted eyeglasses indoor?  If so, which brand is best and you can really notice the transition in the lenses?

Transitions is actually a brand. You use facial tissue NOT kleenex. Same thing.

Transitions turns the darkest and become the most clear. Although, they aren't going to be like the commercials. Indoors, they'll still have a bit of color. If you work in sales, work with clients or customers, its probably not the best thing.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone tried single vision high definition / free form lenses? I have a pretty high prescription (-9.00, +1.25, 90) and have been wearing contacts all my life. From what I've researched it helps with the fish bowl effect, peripheral distortion, glare and is also thinner than regular lenses. Is it really as good as they say? Also for those with high prescriptions, were you advised to choose smaller frame sizes?

"high definition" is a gimmicky term. Free form or digital surface is what you're looking for. As well, they are not all designed the same. We all have laptops, which are great, but not all of them function as well as the next. Same thing with the digital lenses. It is the computer program that makes them good or bad. For instance, Hakim (in Canada), Pearl Vision and Lens Crafters makes house brand "high definition" lenses and they are junk. Don't bother with Hakim, at all, they bought old technology machines and software, which defeats the purpose of "new technology".

In any case, with your RX, you will see a good difference in vision. It will help your peripheral vision, the lenses will come out a "bit" thinner and so it will be lighter as well. But the biggest improvement over regular lenses will be the peripheral vision.

As for the frame, you can pick any size frame. With the true digital lenses, they will make several measurements to customize the lenses for you, in your rx, into that frame.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I missed the Mr. Porter x Cutler & Gross x Kingsman collab frames - mostly because the movie looked like **** and I didn't bother to watch anything related to it until the collection was finished.

I like the 60s vibe, the slight modern shaping, and the drop temple. If these were for sale, I'd just buy them. Any suggestions for an alternative?

I don't know what frame will look similar, but take that into a store and ask them for a similar shape and tell them you want the same tint. I'm sure they will be able to find something similar. For a similar effect on the lenses, I don't know if those are mirrored, but if you get clear lenses with a slight tint (10%) and get a mirror coat, you will probably achieve a very similar look.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking at getting some new frames again, anyone know of anything similar to these face a face ones that aren't pushing $600? as much as I like em, that's probably a bit more than I'm inclined to spend on glasses right now
That's a very common style. Prodesign, Carrera, Boss, Gucci and you'll find tons of inexpensive frames like that. That flat metal is very common among Safilo brands.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know what frame will look similar, but take that into a store and ask them for a similar shape and tell them you want the same tint. I'm sure they will be able to find something similar. For a similar effect on the lenses, I don't know if those are mirrored, but if you get clear lenses with a slight tint (10%) and get a mirror coat, you will probably achieve a very similar look.

Thanks

Actually they reintroduced them as sunglasses - so I bought a pair. But I knew the sizing might be an issue and it was - so back they went. The C&T 822s looks pretty similar and might be a bit wider.

Tried on some Gotti Neville frames - they looked nice and elegant, so those might be my next "lightweight" frames.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What brands should I be looking at if I have a wide face? I think everything from Mykita is probably too small, and Warby Parker only had one or two models that could possibly fit. 

masunagas fit my wide face well.

My current glasses are 54-20 and I'm looking for a round-ish frame, so unfortunately seems like they don't have anything that wide :/

haha what are the chances they make frames that wide? anyways by round I just meant something similar to the Moscot Lemtosh.

Moscot Lemtosh will probably not fit. They don't fit all that wide.

For wide frames, check out Hugo Boss has a few 56-58 eyesizes, Ic Berlin, Kio Yamato, Lindberg all fit wide and can be adjusted. Tag Heuer has some temples with a bow in it too. And then there are house brands like Fat Headz (or something like that) and Biggu. Or you can go with a Safilo house brand like Chesterfield, Safilo and Elasta.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Actually they reintroduced them as sunglasses - so I bought a pair. But I knew the sizing might be an issue and it was - so back they went. The C&T 822s looks pretty similar and might be a bit wider.

Tried on some Gotti Neville frames - they looked nice and elegant, so those might be my next "lightweight" frames.

I don't have longterm experiences with Gotti, but they seem well crafted and they have a reputation of that as well.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those of you that own Lindberg glasses, how comfortable are the nose pads? I switched to ones without them after my nose would get a bitt sore and red after wearing them all day.
For those of you that own Lindberg glasses, how comfortable are the nose pads? I switched to ones without them after my nose would get a bitt sore and red after wearing them all day.

About as comfortable as nose-pads get and with 6 variations (size/material/profile) to get it just right.
As usual though, it's important to get the nose-pad arms properly adjusted, to reduce any pressure points, however a little redness is often quite hard to avoid after a full day of wear, depending on the weight of your lenses.

Correct. a little bit of redness is inevitable just due to weight. As for the adjustment, they are very adjustable and they have pad options, like the asian pads that are a bit thicker. But pads are not just determined by the pad arms alone. it needs to be properly adjusted from the bridge to the temple tips.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, I thought Asians, in general, prefer wider bridges....

Asians need smaller bridge sizes for a better fit. With plastic frames, it will sit higher and with a metal frame they are easier to adjust when they are closer together. With pad arms, when they are too far apart, they over extend beyond their structurally-sound-zone. And aesthetically, it looks better closer together.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"high definition" is a gimmicky term. Free form or digital surface is what you're looking for. As well, they are not all designed the same. We all have laptops, which are great, but not all of them function as well as the next. Same thing with the digital lenses. It is the computer program that makes them good or bad. For instance, Hakim (in Canada), Pearl Vision and Lens Crafters makes house brand "high definition" lenses and they are junk. Don't bother with Hakim, at all, they bought old technology machines and software, which defeats the purpose of "new technology".

In any case, with your RX, you will see a good difference in vision. It will help your peripheral vision, the lenses will come out a "bit" thinner and so it will be lighter as well. But the biggest improvement over regular lenses will be the peripheral vision.

As for the frame, you can pick any size frame. With the true digital lenses, they will make several measurements to customize the lenses for you, in your rx, into that frame.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I'm starting to realize that a lot of places are selling HD lenses that aren't really free form. What should I look out for? A lot of the smaller optical stores do sell free form lenses and I'm assuming they get them from a lab, but how do I know they're using the proper technology to make the lens? I've been told to try the Shamir Autograph, Hoya Nulux EP, Nikon SeeMax, etc. but I have no idea which is better, are these cut to spec by the manufacturer?

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I'm starting to realize that a lot of places are selling HD lenses that aren't really free form. What should I look out for? A lot of the smaller optical stores do sell free form lenses and I'm assuming they get them from a lab, but how do I know they're using the proper technology to make the lens? I've been told to try the Shamir Autograph, Hoya Nulux EP, Nikon SeeMax, etc. but I have no idea which is better, are these cut to spec by the manufacturer?

Real talk, between you and I (and the rest of the internet world), a lot of the big manufactures have the same lenses that are rebranded. The "programs" are all made by only a few companies in the world. Realistically, any big brand name will make a legit free form lens. There are smaller companies that take a true free form as well, the only problem is that the lenses are either older technology or a bargain bin ( you might not get the same thing twice). I would first pick the dispensary and then select from their selection. The disperser is MORE important than the lenses. Properly adjusted and fitted eyewear will make all the difference in the world. A well tailored suit will always be better than an off the rack expensive one. Do your research and find someone reputable.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Real talk, between you and I (and the rest of the internet world), a lot of the big manufactures have the same lenses that are rebranded. The "programs" are all made by only a few companies in the world. Realistically, any big brand name will make a legit free form lens. There are smaller companies that take a true free form as well, the only problem is that the lenses are either older technology or a bargain bin ( you might not get the same thing twice). I would first pick the dispensary and then select from their selection. The disperser is MORE important than the lenses. Properly adjusted and fitted eyewear will make all the difference in the world. A well tailored suit will always be better than an off the rack expensive one. Do your research and find someone reputable.

Really good info man, thanks. The other thing is the different AR and AS coatings, is there really a difference between Zeiss Super ET, Gold ET, Crizal Avance, Sapphire, Seiko Super Hydro, etc? I just want something durable that won't be all scratched and peeling in a few years

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads