• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

36shorter

Reaction score
Hey Guys! I hope someone can help and direct me here. I am looking for a glasses store with someone who has the expertise and ability to look at your face and find you the perfect pair of glasses that accentuate your face. Everything from color to thickness shape and size. I also would like the store to have a unique selection not just the standard prada DG and gucci that everyone carries.I live in central New Jersey but would travel anywhere in the tri state area. Any recommendations?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My temples bend outwards when I put on my glasses, and the temple screw or end joint squeal a little bit. However, they are completely new and I am not sure if this is a bad thing or not. Is the frame size too small? I usually wear 49mm, but these are 47mm.
I wouldn't know without seeing them on you. But sounds like they are a touch small but that can be adjusted as well.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there any way to adjust the nosebridge or put something on it to decrease the slippage? It's a fixed nosebridge.

You can get silicone stickers put on. They are a temporary relief. You can also get pad arms mounted and that would be a permanent solution. But if it is simply slipping, you might be able to get away with just an adjustment.

evilWagon

Reaction score
City Connection, can you recommend any decent shops in the GTA either central or east carrying SALT and Nikon lenses?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

City Connection, can you recommend any decent shops in the GTA either central or east carrying SALT and Nikon lenses?

I'm from the GTA but I'm not entirely sure. I don't follow Salt too closely anymore. Their prices have increased over the past few years and I find that there are other brands that provide similar or better quality at a similar or lesser price.

evilWagon

Reaction score

I'm from the GTA but I'm not entirely sure. I don't follow Salt too closely anymore. Their prices have increased over the past few years and I find that there are other brands that provide similar or better quality at a similar or lesser price.

From your reply above and others of yours it seems like the value/style/quality balance is a constant moving target. At the risk of having you repeat yourself can you give current suggestions of the brands you're referring to above and if there's any locations that carry them and nikon lenses suggest a store or two? Now that I've read this thread and started to pay more attention to the eye strain I experience and reflect that my prescription is 5 years old I'm more urgent to resolve it.

afterglow

Reaction score
What brands (hopefully available online) should I be looking at if I need wider glasses? I typically wear 56 and up. I'm currently using a pair of acetate Hugo Boss glasses but they pretty quickly discolor due to sweat. What material should I be looking at to avoid this? I typically wear rectangular tortoise frames.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What brands (hopefully available online) should I be looking at if I need wider glasses? I typically wear 56 and up. I'm currently using a pair of acetate Hugo Boss glasses but they pretty quickly discolor due to sweat. What material should I be looking at to avoid this? I typically wear rectangular tortoise frames.

Most acetate frames will do that. You could investigate manufacturers who use higher quality acetate to avoid this discolouration, or use your current glasses as a "spare pair" you use for when you exercise, etc.

These are 56mm eye size, and beautiful, IMO - http://www.cutlerandgross.com/collection/Opticals/1135-Dark-Turtle-06/

laughter95

Reaction score

Originally Posted by laughter95
Hello, I have a pair of prescription sunglasses from what is probably the 80s. It was my dad's. They're tortoise color, and say "Esselarc 86" on the left side of the temple, and "Frame France" on the right side. Do you know anything about these frames?
I haven't heard of that frame. Does it say Essilor? I can't recall if they made frames, but if it from that era and made in France, chances are it was well made with thick hinges. That seems to be the norm from what was made in France. Sorry I can't be of much more help.
CityConnection, I finally realized what these are... They say, "ESSEL ARC 86". Essel was the firm that merged with Silor in the 70's = Essilor. So the only thing that came up in a Google search was http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-5...led-ESSEL-ARC-86-made-in-France-/130907869167 Wondering if you knew anything more about these :) Also surprised that you're still very active on this thread through the years, as the quote above was from 2010. Thanks!

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From your reply above and others of yours it seems like the value/style/quality balance is a constant moving target. At the risk of having you repeat yourself can you give current suggestions of the brands you're referring to above and if there's any locations that carry them and nikon lenses suggest a store or two? Now that I've read this thread and started to pay more attention to the eye strain I experience and reflect that my prescription is 5 years old I'm more urgent to resolve it.

I think all brands go through their ups and downs. Some stay in the downs for longer than others while some just get better. Like anything else, all companies change their direction, style and so on.

When I have some more time, I'll make a list of brands that I like as of now...

As for your rx, if it has been 5 years, I would suggest getting a new eye exam. Nothing to lose and chances are that your rx has changed. Remember, when they do the eye exam, it isn't only for the rx but also the overall health of your eyes.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads