• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Man, the brick and mortar eyeglasses place (the only place that stocks Salt) are selling them for $360, that's a bit much for me right now but they truly are nice.
I've been thinking a lot about the Nolan frame in crystal/transparent.

If you want a inexpensive alternative to Salt, take a look at MODO, O&X, Spectacle Eyeworks and Cheap Monday. Out of the 3, O&X will be the best bang for the buck and best quality. MODO is good value. Spectacle Eyeworks is a bit funkier with bigger retro styles, Made in China but designed in Canada. Cheap Monday is made as well most of the mass produced frames but a bit edgy-er with cool colorways.

Crystal is a cool color and looks cool but it is not a color that will "last long". If you're concerned about the frames being expensive, take a look at neutral colors like black and brown so that they will last you "longer".

my 2 cents.

Last edited:

oldpreppyguy

Reaction score
City Connection - FIrst, while I don't post much on SF, I am an avid reader of this thread and always look forward to your insightful and professional replies to the myriad of eyewear questions thrown at you - thank you for spending the time to help those of us who have no choice but to help pay for our eye doc's new Mercedes! Now this is MY problem . . . :) Seriously though, I have been unable to get a satisfactory answer from our local optical shops about obtaining sunglass lenses in my prescription (-5.25 / -5.50) that are as dark as the Rx lenses from Oakley or Ray-Ban - which I understand they will only put in frames of the same brand - and also thinner. I recently had some Hoya (I think) high index photochromic lenses made for my current eyeglass (Oliver Peoples) frames that are great in terms of thickness but, of course, do not get dark enough. Can you offer any insight and/or recommendations? I don't mind paying for the "premium" lenses but I would hate to be on the hook for the lenses if they will likely come in from the lab looking like the one-hour jobs that aren't even as dark as my "transitions."

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crystal is a cool color and looks cool but it is not a color that will "last long". If you're concerned about the frames being expensive, take a look at neutral colors like black and brown so that they will last you "longer".
my 2 cents.

Can you clarify what you mean by crystal not lasting long? Does the color cloud with time, or pick up scratches, or otherwise age poorly?

I ask because I'm very close to purchasing salt's Paxton model. I like all the colors offered but I've been leaning toward london fog, which fades from dark to crystal as you move down the frame (the fade seems to flatter my face). If there's a legit reason to consider avoiding crystal I'm very interested to hear it, since I like the evergreen and tweed moss colors as well. I'll be paying close to retail for the frame and would like it to last as long as possible.

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my 2 cents.

Can you clarify what you mean by crystal not lasting long? Does the color cloud with time, or pick up scratches, or otherwise age poorly?

I ask because I'm very close to purchasing salt's Paxton model. I like all the colors offered but I've been leaning toward london fog, which fades from dark to crystal as you move down the frame (the fade seems to flatter my face). If there's a legit reason to consider avoiding crystal I'm very interested to hear it, since I like the evergreen and tweed moss colors as well. I'll be paying close to retail for the frame and would like it to last as long as possible.

When I said "last long" I did not mean of terms of fading, darkening or getting dirty like a white pair of shoes. I should have been more clear, I should have said, it will not last as long in terms of fashion. I find that individuals who get crystal frames get bored of it after some time. That's why I said that if you had multiple frames it would be nice to put a crystal into the repertoire but if it is your only pair of glasses it won't be the most "conservative" pair. Mind you, if you work in an artsy/funky/trendy industry, it might work for you, but if you are a consultant/doctor/professional you might want to re-consider your frame selection. I have absolutely nothing against crystal frames, I have considered getting them too but I ended up with a black/crystal fade. Mind you I have more than 10 frames that I regularly rotate.

But at the end of the day it is your money and entirely up to you. I personally jsut don't suggest Crystal as your first and only pair of glasses if you want on wearing them for years to come. Then again, you could make the crystal frame your signature look.

I hope that helps.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

City Connection - FIrst, while I don't post much on SF, I am an avid reader of this thread and always look forward to your insightful and professional replies to the myriad of eyewear questions thrown at you - thank you for spending the time to help those of us who have no choice but to help pay for our eye doc's new Mercedes! Now this is MY problem . . . :) Seriously though, I have been unable to get a satisfactory answer from our local optical shops about obtaining sunglass lenses in my prescription (-5.25 / -5.50) that are as dark as the Rx lenses from Oakley or Ray-Ban - which I understand they will only put in frames of the same brand - and also thinner. I recently had some Hoya (I think) high index photochromic lenses made for my current eyeglass (Oliver Peoples) frames that are great in terms of thickness but, of course, do not get dark enough. Can you offer any insight and/or recommendations? I don't mind paying for the "premium" lenses but I would hate to be on the hook for the lenses if they will likely come in from the lab looking like the one-hour jobs that aren't even as dark as my "transitions."

Let me understand more clearly...You want sunglasses in -525/-550 and you want the lenses to be darker than your photochromatic lenses but they are telling you that it cannot be done? Also, you want to put in the lenses into an Oakley or Rayban frame?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the first post of the thread I made a FAQ section. I didn't fill it out yet, but I'll get around to it when I find the time. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. hahaha...

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I said "last long" I did not mean of terms of fading, darkening or getting dirty like a white pair of shoes. I should have been more clear, I should have said, it will not last as long in terms of fashion. I find that individuals who get crystal frames get bored of it after some time. That's why I said that if you had multiple frames it would be nice to put a crystal into the repertoire but if it is your only pair of glasses it won't be the most "conservative" pair.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Mr Magoo

Reaction score
Hello!!

Andrew Graham Dixon wore these spectacles less that 2 weeks ago in a TV programme (BB2 Sicily Unpacked!)

I love them! I need new spectacles and I am debating myself between this ones or some vintage ProSight Wayfarers in demi amber too...

Thing is that I can't find them in internet...no idea who is manufacturing them...they look like Malcolm Oscar Magnuson, but they are not. Any idea/suggestions. Any help will be greatly appreaciated. I asked directly to Andrew throught his facebook account but not too much hopes he will kindly reply...

All the best. Thanks in advance.

oldpreppyguy

Reaction score
C.C. - Sorry for not responding to your reply sooner. I guess a much easier (and much less cumbersome) way to pose my question is as follows: I want to have some rx lenses made for a pair of Persol frames and would like them to be as dark and thin as possible. Given my prescription, is there a particular lens manufacturer and/or brand whose product I should seek out? I have been happy with both the Oakley and Ray-Ban branded lenses but I was told they will only make those for same-branded frames. Simply asking for the "darkest" grey has not yielded satisfactory results thus far. Thanks!

Last edited:

sns23

Reaction score
Where all the frames are made. I've been to the small mountain town in Italy. Luxottica factory.

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

C.C. - Sorry for not responding to your reply sooner. I guess a much easier (and much less cumbersome) way to pose my question is as follows: I want to have some rx lenses made for a pair of Persol frames and would like them to be as dark and thin as possible. Given my prescription, is there a particular lens manufacturer and/or brand whose product I should seek out? I have been happy with both the Oakley and Ray-Ban branded lenses but I was told they will only make those for same-branded frames. Simply asking for the "darkest" grey has not yielded satisfactory results thus far. Thanks!

Asking for "dark" will not get you good results because it is a not a value. What you want to do is find a color chart or sample color lenses. It isn't important as to what kind of lenses you get because all tintable lenses will achieve your desired color. Usually will have a color chart or sample colored lenses. If they don't have one, take in a pair of sunglasses with the color that you want and ask them to "match the tint". "Match tint" is the lingo we use to matching the color (I know...not very sophisticated). Any lab or optical that tints will be able to do this. G15 is a Rayban color, but any good tinting lab can make it exactly the same. When they tint the lenses, they have about 20 colors and the combination of tinting it in different colors can achieve any desired color. Even with your 1.67 lenses, they can still tint it to any color you want, given that they know what they are doing.

Basically, in short, they can make the same color as any sample you want. Just ask them to match tint. If they can't do it I'm sure they can source it out to a lab.

Hope that helps!

oldpreppyguy

Reaction score
Thanks C.C.! I actually never thought about asking them to "match tint." The last pair I had made - which didn't work out too well - I asked for something like "grey 5" after being shown basic color choices and tint levels. When I suggested that they didn't come out as dark as I had hoped I was told the lens simply wouldn't "take" any additional tint. I'll bring something for them to match next time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads