• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

facet

Reaction score
Thank you. I should have mentioned I have the Allen edmonds Yorktown in “Chili.” That’s kind of why I was thinking a nice dark brown, plain cap toe might work well? That’ll with most suits, as well as dress slacks and a blazer right?
Yeah, that or your original idea of a burgundy cap toe would also be very versatile as well.

Craftedpig7

Reaction score
Yeah, that or your original idea of a burgundy cap toe would also be very versatile as well.

So I did end up going with the Oxblood Park ave at the anniversary sale. Very happy with my purchase. I was between those and the Dark chili Carlyle Plain Toe. Trying to share images but it doesn’t seem to work with my phone.

I quite liked the Carlyle and it was a pretty significant discount but I was afraid they’d be too close to my Chili Yorktowns. They seemed more brown when I tried them on but in the end I decided I needed to add a simply Burgundy cap toe to the mix.

Thanks to everyone for your guidance!

Craftedpig7

Reaction score

So I did end up going with the Oxblood Park ave at the anniversary sale. Very happy with my purchase. I was between those and the Dark chili Carlyle Plain Toe. Trying to share images but it doesn’t seem to work with my phone.

I quite liked the Carlyle and it was a pretty significant discount but I was afraid they’d be too close to my Chili Yorktowns. They seemed more brown when I tried them on but in the end I decided I needed to add a simply Burgundy cap toe to the mix.

Fully Threaded

Reaction score
Wallet Lining: I'm getting a custom wallet made and waffling a lot on the lining I want to use. I'm going to use alligator for both the exterior and interior and don't want to short-change the process at all. That said, the bill compartment is still going to have something other than alligator lining on it, right? No one actually lines the bill compartment in an exotic, that'd be stupid wouldn't it?

What do high-end boutiques use to line their exotic wallets? Would it be chintzy/cheap to line it in a polyester fabric? Silk is not as durable...

Fully Threaded

Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg

What's the lining of this Cartier wallet likely made out? I know we can't know 100% without having it in person, but just curious about the range of fabrics they might entertain throwing in there.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wallet Lining: I'm getting a custom wallet made and waffling a lot on the lining I want to use. I'm going to use alligator for both the exterior and interior and don't want to short-change the process at all. That said, the bill compartment is still going to have something other than alligator lining on it, right? No one actually lines the bill compartment in an exotic, that'd be stupid wouldn't it?

What do high-end boutiques use to line their exotic wallets? Would it be chintzy/cheap to line it in a polyester fabric? Silk is not as durable...

Usually goatskin (chèvre) or a similar lightweight leather. Silk is also an option - it doesn’t experience much wear.

mactire

Reaction score
There is a famous maker of mens loafers in Naples, mentioned on threads here in the past, but I can't remember the name to look them up. Anyone out know who they are?

Fully Threaded

Reaction score
Why do luxury good manufacturers prefer goatskin (chèvre) to pig, deer and elk? These seem to also offer smooth suppleness and light weight. Is goat in some way more luxurious as a bag/wallet lining material?

facet

Reaction score

That’s awesome. I have them in merlot, pretty similar as far as I can tell, and it’s been my go-to shoe for general suit wear. Love it for it’s versatility.

Slh

Reaction score
Can I wear shetland sweaters with jeans? Or should I wear them only with chinos, corduroy pants,etc?

ThomGault

Reaction score
Can I wear shetland sweaters with jeans? Or should I wear them only with chinos, corduroy pants,etc?
Shetland sweaters pair with jeans wonderfully----even moreso than chinos. Keep in mind that Shetland sweaters were originally attire for the working man, out in the harsh conditions.

Here's a great authentic source for them, from a very kind lady who's made one for me: http://www.shetland-knitwear.co.uk/index.htm

Slh

Reaction score
Shetland sweaters pair with jeans wonderfully----even moreso than chinos. Keep in mind that Shetland sweaters were originally attire for the working man, out in the harsh conditions.

Here's a great authentic source for them, from a very kind lady who's made one for me: http://www.shetland-knitwear.co.uk/index.htm
Thanks a lot. So I guess Shetland sweaters and sneakers like white common projects or white chuck taylors wouldn't be a good pairing?
I own a pair of suede chukka or Derby shoes which I realize they are better pairings than sneakers, but I would like to know if in need I could wear sneakers with Shetland jumpers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads