• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it normal when breaking in a new pair of shoes to have a bit of discomfort, specifically around the outside pinky toe area?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it normal when breaking in a new pair of shoes to have a bit of discomfort, specifically around the outside pinky toe area?
In general, no.

While some people believe that new shoes should be a little tight or uncomfortable, until they "break in," this has definitely not been my experience.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
I agree with Michael, if a pair of shoes is uncomfortable, they have been equally uncomfortable a few weeks later - maybe ive been unlucky..

hirschlederne

Reaction score
How do you call this style of bow ties? I think I've seen one worn with a dinner suit in the Deadlier than the Male film. (JPEG Image, 1417 × 1122 pixels) - Scaled (85%).jpeg

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know any good sites where I can order horn buttons in various sizes?

It would help if you gave us some idea as to where you're located. Chicago? Timbuktu? Ho Chi Minh City?

If in the US, I'd recommend Tender Buttons, at 143 East 62nd Street, in NYC. The url is tenderbuttons-nyc.com

Aloysius16

Reaction score
I have some new trousers in this fairly heavy dark grey wool with a diagonal twill texture and a grainy appearance. What is this cloth called - Covert? Cavalry twill? The two pictures below are of the same cloth (different light)

IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_1062.JPG

mactire

Reaction score
I have some new trousers in this fairly heavy dark grey wool with a diagonal twill texture and a grainy appearance. What is this cloth called - Covert? Cavalry twill? The two pictures below are of the same cloth (different light)

If it has a fairly heavy twill then you'd call it a cavalry twill. Covert can be used to describe a fawn/mottled beige shade in that twill, and its also used to describe a style of coat.

Kelvin0683

Reaction score
Is it possible to ask my tailor to shorten a tie? I believe that my grenadine tie has stretched 1 or 2 inches since I bought it.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tiecrafters in NYC is recommended here often. Tailoring and tiemaking are different disciplines. My alterations guy won't touch ties

Fully Threaded

Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg

As you can see, this lovely tee has a bleach mark on the collar. Is it salvageable or is it a lost cause?

I'm willing to pay a decent amount to ensure it lives on, I just don't know if this type of thing is "fixable".

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads