• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mobobs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, here's another:

I saw a Seinfeld the other day where Jerry's new suede jacket was destroyed by snow. I've never owned suede anything before, but was hoping to get some suede shoes - is it true that even a modest amount of moisture will make them spotty? If not, where does the idea come from that it will?

I wear my suede shoes all the time in the snow and have never had an issue with them becoming spotty. Just be careful around salt. That will destroy your suede and unlike leather, it won't be reversible.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What say you all on the idea of taking in non-function sleeve buttons to a good tailor to make them functioning buttons so as to wear them unbuttoned for that look, you know what I am talking about look.

?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's one of those questions that falls under the category of "if you have you ask..."

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
What's wrong with a black shirt? I'm going to wear one today under my scarlet sweater. :/

don't wear a black shirt in the first place
Well black shirts are probably the least versatile of all colours... to my experience you either wear all black which is gonna make you look like a floating head and shrink your entire body,something you don't want; or you can just wear it normally in which case IMO the colour's just too 'heavy' to be on top of any pants that aren't black or very dark navy.

It's still something everyone has to look funky once in a while but personally I rarely wear it because in most cases it makes you look like an asshole whose trying too hard. it's the same principle with matching ties and pocket squares, you want to look like you just 'happened' to pick two random things from your wardrobe and they just 'happened' to look good together.

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
Why?

I think the general objection to black is that there is almost always a better, more flattering alternative.
yeah I think the general consensus is just ' why black, when almost EVERYTHING else will make you look better AND it's less risque.'

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SW/D heavily disagrees. Unfortunately, a dress shirt that isn't styled specifically or have specific texture, is indeed a quite useless item. I think Black on a shirt/bottom layer generally works best with other blacks, monochrome/grayscale outfits.

In a CM context I'd definitely say ditch the dark colored shirts.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SW/D heavily disagrees. Unfortunately, a dress shirt that isn't styled specifically or have specific texture, is indeed a quite useless item. I think Black on a shirt/bottom layer generally works best with other blacks, monochrome/grayscale outfits.

In a CM context I'd definitely say ditch the dark colored shirts.

This is true, I always recognize the fact that most rookies coming to SF probably lean more to SW&D color choices, because they are more similar to society standards of men's style. I suspect most people coming for the first time to this forum probably grew up wearing nothing but darker colors. It's what they are comfortable with, and there is a deconstruction period associated with learning classic menswear style.

So, while I can understand the nature of these rookie questions. It should be understood that the answers given relate to what is typical of classic menswear style, not just cultural popular opinion. That's why we're here after all, to learn CM style...

Last edited:
Reaction score
What color shirt and shoes should I wear with this?
Should I wear a bow-tie or a tie and a handkerchief and what color should they be?
It is for my High School farewell party.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear my suede shoes all the time in the snow and have never had an issue with them becoming spotty. Just be careful around salt. That will destroy your suede and unlike leather, it won't be reversible.
Whenever there is snow on the ground here in NY, there is bound to be salt. If there is snow on the ground, I don't wear my suede or I have galoshes on over them.

What say you all on the idea of taking in non-function sleeve buttons to a good tailor to make them functioning buttons so as to wear them unbuttoned for that look, you know what I am talking about look.

?
You're trying too hard.

Is it okay to wear brown shoes with a black shirt?
No. Black and brown don't go together and neither do black and navy, but some/most people find it acceptable to wear black shoes with a navy suit.

don't wear a black shirt in the first place

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads