• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you wear a winchester or club collar shirt without a tie and jacket?

Maybe. It depends. And personal opinion varies to a fair degree on this one, too - particularly (but not solely) based on where one is located. What flies in Ankara or Surabaya, isn't necessarily what gets much love in Brussels or Boston.

But honestly, if I'm not going to be wearing a tie or a jacket, I'll typically just wear a button-down collar shirt. I mean, it's the obvious choice. Maybe a Winchester or club collar could be made to work, but I'm lazy and simply don't feel like trying to successfully pull this off this particular trick, given that there's little pay-off for doing so, and button-down collars aren't exactly difficult to find in my closet.

Still, if for some reason you want to wear a Winchester or club collar shirt without jacket or tie, go get dressed in the shirt, take a picture of yourself, post the picture, and ask us how it looks. Heck, lots of times when you can really look at a picture of yourself dressed a certain way, it'll give you a much better idea of how it works (or doesn't work), than will a glance in the mirror will. So my advice to take a picture of yourself in the shirt could prove worthwhile, even if you don't post it anywhere.

AndrewST

Reaction score
Jacket / Pants Pairing Question

Does this tandem work? Pants are J. Crew - Ludlow in Italian Chino. Jacket is off an old Prada suit I bought on SF many years ago (if the seller is lurking - thanks! I got countless wears out of the suit but, alas, I've - uh - outgrown the pants).

I wouldn't be fooling anyone if worn together; the pair clearly weren't sold together.

But can they be worn together? And, more important, would I look like a fool?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How water resistant are those london fog raincoats...?

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jacket / Pants Pairing Question Does this tandem work? Pants are J. Crew - Ludlow in Italian Chino. Jacket is off an old Prada suit I bought on SF many years ago (if the seller is lurking - thanks! I got countless wears out of the suit but, alas, I've - uh - outgrown the pants). I wouldn't be fooling anyone if worn together; the pair clearly weren't sold together. But can they be worn together? And, more important, would I look like a fool?
SF says that thou shall not wear suit jackets as separates, especially striped jackets like that. It may look OK to the untrained eye, which is probably the majority of people, but does not fly around these parts.

AndrewST

Reaction score
SF says that thou shall not wear suit jackets as separates, especially striped jackets like that. It may look OK to the untrained eye, which is probably the majority of people, but does not fly around these parts.

SF-wisdom is good enough for me. Any way that I can get a few more years out of the jacket? ...Or should I give up?

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SF-wisdom is good enough for me. Any way that I can get a few more years out of the jacket? ...Or should I give up?

Donate/sell it along with the pants to somebody who can get some use out of the entire suit. Alternately, stick it in the back of your closet in case you lose the weight.

AndrewST

Reaction score
If you've outgrown the pants, are you even sure that the jacket is still an excellent fit?

Excellent? No. Still pretty good? Yeah.

Fortunately (I guess?) my added bulk has gone to my thighs rather than just my gut. The pants legs are slim fitting by design so, with the added weight, they don't sit right above the knee and through the crotch. The seam has started to pull a bit.

So yeah, like someone above said, maybe time to pass it along to a better home.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you wear shirt studs when not wearing a tuxedo/tuxedo shirt/white tie? How bad is it to do that? Cheers
Wouldn't you need a tuxedo shirt to wear them in the first place? I think the only acceptable studs would be collar studs for a detachable collar.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good morning all. so, annoying thing.

i got a really nice coat with tags still attached, however the tag was placed in such a way that i cannot fully remove it. so there is a sharp piece of plastic sticking out from where i cut it.

any way to get that out without undoing the seams?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

good morning all. so, annoying thing.

i got a really nice coat with tags still attached, however the tag was placed in such a way that i cannot fully remove it. so there is a sharp piece of plastic sticking out from where i cut it.

any way to get that out without undoing the seams?

Pull it as far as it will go, then cut back close to the base using scissors. When you do so, the small remaining piece of plastic should fall back inside the clothing.

UncleNed

Reaction score
I am looking for a good form/template/chart to bring to my tailor to fill out for body measurements to send to Luxire. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have found the guide on Luxire website, but I would rather just have a one page form that could be filled in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads