• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got these at a thrift store for $10. Shoe uppers look pretty good, but heel and soles are shot. Are these worth redrafting by AE for $150, or should I let my local cobbler take a shot for $50?
IMO definitely not worth AE recraft. I would try to find shoes with similar uppers but better soles and heels for less than the $150 recraft price.

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for Argyle socks in wool (wool/nylon blend) of a high quality. Colors of particular interest are greens, olives, browns, taupes ... with other colors accenting ... and especially combinations of greens and browns.

I'm hoping that some of you know of stores that carry them. I've tried Ben Silver and Paul Stuart ... wanting to find a few more sources that might be new to me or have slipped my mind.

sean anon

Reaction score
I have a nice pair of RL made by crocket and jones wingtips that I want to resole with dainite sole. Would you trust the local cobber to take this on?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a nice pair of RL made by crocket and jones wingtips that I want to resole with dainite sole.  Would you trust the local cobber to take this on? 

I have no idea. Some local cobblers do brilliant work. Some are lazy, dishonest, or incompetent. Most fall somewhere between those extremes.

Since I know nothing about your local cobbler, I can't say to what extent I'd trust him to work on my shoes. (And that's even before I'd have to decide whether he's worth what he'd charge to do the job.)

Made in California

Reaction score

I'm kind of a big fan of Smartwool's Diamond Jim line

I came to "Style"Forum and they told me to go to REI. The guys are really fashionable. ;)

Last edited:

gtkrwn

Reaction score
I'd want to see the shirt and tie together, before forming an opinion as to whether they work.

But ultimately, if you're the one wearing them, and you don't find the combination pleasing, then you're right - it looks "off."
It's just a flip of the usual tie sheen with a matte shirt. It seems fine in photo, so I'm probably overthinking it.

No idea why the photo is rotated funny, but you get the idea. I know some hate french blue...it's what I have.

mk nautilus

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to wear burgundy shoes to a job interview?
From what I've read, it would appear not. Given that my only black shoes are heavy country Derbys though (church's grafton), would this change anything? I'm wearing a charcoal suit, and feel that my Hallams are much more sleek and look 100x better than the Graftons in this application.
Is this a satorial rule that cannot be broken?

Here are my choices, tell me what you think.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gauge by the formality of the folks you are meeting with. Either could work with a matching belt and polish both pairs. Be Blessed

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are Pantherella OTC's as good as Marcoliani OTC's? I'm looking to buy Merino wool. I've had a bad experience with the Pantherella's I've purchased.

I would say so they are as good. But then again I find no difference in my Marcoliani vs Pantherella socks.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, it would appear not. Given that my only black shoes are heavy country Derbys though (church's grafton), would this change anything? I'm wearing a charcoal suit, and feel that my Hallams are much more sleek and look 100x better than the Graftons in this application.

What sort of job? Are you wearing a suit, and if so, what color/pattern? Does the place have a dress code?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone remind me please-- what is a good "rule" on how much I can have jacket sleeves LENGTHENED on one with functional buttonholes? I'd like to buy this suit in a size short, but I suspect the sleeves are a bit too short. What's the max and still look good?
Depends on how much material is available, and how close to the cuff the buttons are positioned now. But generally, if a jacket has functional buttonholes and the sleeves are the wrong length, you just need to walk away. Find another jacket, because it ain't worth the trouble.
It's just a flip of the usual tie sheen with a matte shirt. It seems fine in photo, so I'm probably overthinking it.
No idea why the photo is rotated funny, but you get the idea. I know some hate french blue...it's what I have.
I'm not a huge fan of french blue, but that's a decent pairing for it. Looks fine.
Woven leather belts tend to be relatively casual. If you were asking about wearing one with, say, a pair of chinos and a button down shirt (no sport coat), I'd say it's absolutely fine - a near perfect match in terms of formality, really. And while upping the ante from chinos to wool trousers does make things a little less casual, it's not a remarkably dramatic differerence. So yeah, I'd say it's still okay to wear the woven belt - maybe not the absolutely best belt choice, but still perfectly acceptable. Now, wearing a woven leather belt with a business suit... no. I know that some men do it, and maybe a few of them even look good doing it. Maybe. But basically that'd be a combination which would cross the line for me, and likely for most men who adhere to classic men's dress standards. I suppose one could defend even the suit + woven belt combination by pointing out that a gentleman's suit coat is always buttoned (save perhaps when one is seated), so the belt mostly won't be visible in the first place. Thus, it doesn't matter much exactly which type of belt one wears with a suit. I admit, I've even given this sort of answer in response to the occasional "What color suspenders should I wear..." question. But I agree that's one of those "weaseling out of giving a straight answer" type of response better left to politicians on the campaign trail, for all that it might technically possess some merit. I'll still maintain, however, that since a man will typically keep his underwear covered up in public, it's okay to wear Marvin the Martian boxers with a business suit, despite the contrast between the whimsical and the serious. But I digress.
I wear woven leather belts with suits on occasion, as a way to dress them down a bit. It's a good pairing if you're wearing gunboats or suede boots with your suit, which I know some people are opposed to as well. If the suit is of a heavier or more textured fabric, it works. If you're talking about your ultra slick, super whatevers shiny conservative business dress suits, it would be a really jarring mismatch. And it also has to be the right woven belt- something like this looks good with a great many things, something like this should never be worn by anybody anywhere.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, it is sometimes acceptable. And it's sometimes not acceptable. And when it is acceptable, it can range from being a great choice, to being a poor choice. It depends greatly on the nature of the job for which you're interviewing.

So it's kinda like having red wine with fish. :)

I'm wearing a charcoal suit
I'd probably strongly prefer black shoes, if it were a charcoal suit sort of job interview. But again, it depends.

my Hallams are much more sleek
And sleekness in this area is highly desirable why, exactly?

Look, clearly, you should buy yourself a pair of black shoes which appeal to you in terms of style or sleekness or whatever. That's the ideal solution.

If that's not going to happen, wear whichever pair of shoes you'll worry about less. If you'll constantly be second guessing your choice should you wear the burgundy shoes, then wear the black ones. If wearing the black ones will leave you thinking that you should have gone with the bungundies, then wear the burgundy shoes, instead. You don't need to have worries over what you're wearing distracting you from what's actually important - nailing the interview.

Most sartorial rules are really sartorial guidelines. They can be violated, and depending on one's reason for violating them, doing so can sometimes be a good idea.

But what it comes down to is, you must decide for yourself which pair of shoes will leave you feeling the most confident about your footwear choice, then wear them, and don't waste an instant worrying about your choice.

I think you should buy yourself a pair of black dress shoes which appeal to you and are appropriate to wear to this interview. But hey, sometimes the ideal solution simply isn't going to be chosen. I get how we live in the real world, and all.

yanagi

Reaction score
In general, I don't see anything wrong with a charcoal suit and burgundy balmoral captoes. Burgundy is a conservative, versatile color. It's not as conservative as black, but that's where Koala-T's question comes in: what kind of job is this?

flvinny521

Reaction score
Any SF-approved suit and sports coast makers that have a more dramatic V taper? My shoulders are a 42, but when I raise my arms at all the coat seems too big under the armpits. Maybe the arm holes are too big or low? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads