• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cakv

Reaction score
The jacket is darted on the front, distorting the horizontal dimension of the pattern and causing the vertical line through the right pockets to temporarily "disappear." Thus, the pocket flap patterns don't line up perfectly on either side. The ticket pocket makes it more obvious, but the seam appears to "eat" the line more on the right than on the left, as well. Might be why this suit is on eBay.
Thank you. Informative post. I will have to revisit Matt S.'s dart post on thesuitsofjamesbond.

pstoller

Reaction score

Pocket matching or top of shoulder, means nothing.

No argument here. But, symmetry between the left and right front darts means something.

farhantaz

Reaction score
Hi There,

Just starting a shoe collection however budget isn't that big! Could anyone recommend some good shoes at the £150~ mark? I ordered a pair of Meermins, but other than that, i'm stuck.

Thanks,
Farhan.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

Just starting a shoe collection however budget isn't that big! Could anyone recommend some good shoes at the £150~ mark? I ordered a pair of Meermins, but other than that, i'm stuck.

Thanks,
Farhan.
Loake?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just starting a shoe collection however budget isn't that big!

I understand what you're saying, but bear in mind that it's usually wiser to save up until you have a little more money so that you can buy higher quality shoes. Maybe that means owning fewer pairs. That's okay. Generally, 3 pairs of excellent shoes win out over 6 pairs of mediocre ones.

Well, just a thought. But whichever way you go with this, don't blow off shoe maintenance. Properly cared for (cleaning, caring for the leather, shoe trees, etc.) a quality pair of shoes can last for decades, and look good all that time. Without proper care, even a great pair of shoes will age rapidly and not particularly gracefully. It's a lot like how your car probably won't give you many years of problem-free service, if you never bother changing the oil.
[/quote]

ovlov

Reaction score

Thanks, I did look up the links you provided but noticed none of them look quite as good as the marinella ties. Are there no other makers of those patterns?

EG Cappelli make very nice neats. Still not in your price range but their 'outlet' ties (RTW, nothing wrong with them despite the name) start at 50eu which is a lot less than marinella.

Also Malford of London recently had a sale on E Marinella factory seconds. Of its still going you can get them for 55pounds each and an extra 30% off if you buy 2 or more.

ovlov

Reaction score
I
Hi There,

Just starting a shoe collection however budget isn't that big!  Could anyone recommend some good shoes at the £150~ mark? I ordered a pair of Meermins, but other than that, i'm stuck.

Thanks,
Farhan.

If the meermins fit well then just order another pair in a different colour/style . No need to go hunting for another brand just yet. Once you have 2 pairs to rotate you should be fine for a while. You can use that time to save for some nicer brands and visit some stores to try a few different lasts.
Also once you've had a chance to establish you size and last in a few brands you can scour the b/s forums and online sales for a few bargains.

pnewelljr

Reaction score
Trying to understand shirt fabric quality. What do the numbers is "40/1x24/2 construction" mean? Which would be better, 40/1x24/2 OR 40/1x40/1?

pstoller

Reaction score

Trying to understand shirt fabric quality. What do the numbers "40/1x24/2 construction" mean? Which would be better, 40/1x24/2 OR 40/1x40/1?

These have to do with the thickness of the spun cotton yarn used to weave the fabric for the shirt. One figure is for warp, the other for weft.

The first number in each figure states the size (thickness) of the yarn based on a length-to-mass ratio: 40 could mean 40 meters per gram (international system) or 40 hanks per lb. (English system). I'm afraid I don't know which system is being used here. Either way, the larger the number, the finer the yarn. The second number is for the ply—how many strands of yarn have been twisted together. 1 is single ply, meaning untwisted. 2 is two strands twisted together to form a thicker yarn.

So, 40/1 is a size 40 1-ply, 24/2 is a size 24 2-ply.

No fabric weight is inherently better. Rather, it depends on your goals for the fabric. Proper Cloth, for example, is advertising the heavier 40/1 x 24/2 material as thick, durable, and casual, appropriate for their oxford shirts. Whether you prefer that weight to a finer 40/1 x 40/1 for such a shirt is largely a matter of personal taste, though some materials are simply too light or heavy to be practical or desirable for a given application.

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone purchased the Ben Nevis "knockoff" Baracuta G9 Harrington Jacket?

if so, thoughts (esp. on sizing)? thanks.

combat-harry-navy-600x600.jpg

dragos25

Reaction score
How versatile would a tan suede/calf longwing be?
Something like this but lighter brown/walnut :

Also, I want to get a pair of plain-toe brown bluchers but can't decide between suede and calf.
Any thoughts? I plan to wear these casually, blazer and flannels at most and can't decide.

Sagan

Reaction score
Looking for a couple shirts in shades of solid blue/grey that have nice fabric and not huge collars. Basically to wear under a blazer for dates. I have a few of these shirts by emile lafurie, but looking for something a step cheaper in price. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

pstoller

Reaction score

How versatile would a tan suede/calf longwing be? Something like this but lighter brown/walnut : Also, I want to get a pair of plain-toe brown bluchers but can't decide between suede and calf. Any thoughts? I plan to wear these casually, blazer and flannels at most and can't decide.
This sort of shoe is elegant, but not exactly subtle. The way you plan to wear them, they would likely be the distinguishing part of your outfit. This is not necessarily a bad thing; I do it all the time. (Heck, I'd wear those with jeans.) But, if you have one pair of remarkable shoes that you routinely wear with casual staples, you risk becoming "the guy with those shoes." So, yeah, you can dress up to them or not, in which sense they're versatile. But, you probably don't want to wear them three days a week. As one of at least two and preferably more pairs of dressier shoes in your rotation, they're great. Calf and suede are both lovely and versatile. You can treat both for water resistance, but I'd still opt for calf if I lived in, say, Seattle. Otherwise, what you buy next depends on what else you have in your wardrobe. If you're just starting to build your shoe wardrobe, I think most guys would start with calf and then add suede later. But, you're not obligated to be like most guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads